WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT-Who is the most famous Person alive? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT-Who is the most famous Person alive?
RasslinWes from Ca
Member # 2171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RasslinWes from Ca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Musician- Paul McCartney
Athlete- LeBron James or Michael Jordan
Politician- Trump
My vote would be for Queen Elizabeth or the Pope

IP: Logged
1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting topic, but I must say no way on the athlete.

Not that this is ironclad, but Cristiano Ronaldo has more Facebook followers than anyone in the world (over 122 million). The only other athlete in the top 10 is also a soccer player -- Lionel Messi. IMO, the answer has to be either Ronaldo or Messi. An entire generation of people weren't even alive when Michael Jordan was an active player -- at least when he was active with the Bulls and winning titles.

I also think the musician has to be someone modern and in the news regularly. The top five overall in Twitter followers are Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Rhiamna and Barack Obama.

For politician, it is either Obama or Trump, IMO.

[ 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: 1000 Masks But No Jobs ]

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama or Trump. In a year it'll be Trump.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

northwest territories
Member # 125769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northwest territories     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now? Trump followed by Kim Jung-Un.

Hard to argue with Christiando when it comes to sports and his stock will only goes up with a lot of success in Russia.

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:

Like I said earlier, I know social media is not the only useful metric for measuring this, and I know many Trump or Obama haters will not follow them on social media. But since we are talking worldwide, I think it is hard to discount Ronaldo having 100 million more followers on Facebook and 20 million more on Twitter.

[ 06-13-2018, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: 1000 Masks But No Jobs ]

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess the Pope.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skullbutt:
I would guess the Pope.

I couldn't pick the Pope out of a line up.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trump, Obama,the Queen, Messi, Ronaldo, Usain Bolt, Beyonce, Dwayne Johnson. All would be up there.
Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Known all over the WORLD:

Musician = Mick Jagger
Athlete = ???
Politician = Donald Trump

Overall = Jorge Mario Bergoglio, better known these days as Pope Francis.

That's how I see it. 👀

--------------------
Mookie Wilson would've been safe anyway!

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people under 30 in countries like China and India would know who Mick Jagger is?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McCartney couldn't get into a Grammy afterparty or some sh*t.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

CONAN
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CONAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yao Ming, Trump, and the soccer players mentioned above.
northwest territories
Member # 125769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northwest territories     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprised at the Obama responses. He’s been fairly out of the spotlight for a year and half now. EVERYONE talks about Trump, everywhere, night and day.

I’d even argue right now Hillary Clinton is more famous than Obama right now.

[ 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: northwest territories ]

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rock underrated ITT. Not the most famous but he has 98 million instagram followers and is in a lot of movies shown around the world.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd give the Rock serious consideration. The Rock is the biggest star for the kind of movie that does the best business globally (lots of action, dialogue less of an obstacle).

Musicians and athletes here are only up for question because Michael Jackson and Muhammad Ali have died. If they were alive, it's not a conversation. No American in a team sport is close to that level on a global scale.

There might be parts of the world where John Cena is more recognizable by name/face than LeBron James. When I was in Mecca several years ago, I had in-depth conversations about WWE with local construction workers at the Haram but they had no interest whatsoever in U.S. team sports. Similar experiences in Pakistan. "Good guy fighting bad guy" is a lot more universally accessible than complicated foreign sports.

I don't think that social media is entirely representative (lots of places where access is limited, severely censored, or even prohibited to some degree).

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RasslinWes from Ca:
Musician- Paul McCartney
Athlete- LeBron James or Michael Jordan
Politician- Trump
My vote would be for Queen Elizabeth or the Pope

kids today won't know Mccartney
Not a chance any US Athlete is best known, your sports are far too insular, will be Messi or Ronaldo
Trump yep

Queen and Pope yep

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s got to be Queen Elizabeth. She has been more famous for longer than anyone else. The pope can’t really count as it is a position held by different people

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

Back pops
Member # 117351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Back pops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyson and Ali were probably the last American most famous athletes.
Harder now to be universally known. Far more splintering of demographics and if you are not interested there's so many ways to avoid.
There's never going to be another who shot JR.
The articles on how to avoid the world cup have multi channels, streaming, social media etc. It used to be watch the two channels which aren't showing it, radio, read or go for a walk.
If you're into Peruvian throat music and comics about hamsters you can indulge yourself 24/7 and you'll find others just like you online. There's no need to know about **** you don't like or put up with other people's tastes.

Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
How many people under 30 in countries like China and India would know who Mick Jagger is?

That's a good question.
I believe Mick is known in China, even with people under 30, because of all the publicity the Stones got playing concerts in China.
With India, well, the Stones last played there Apr. 7, 2003, IF I'm not mistaken. I had read some time ago that India's taste in music had been shifting to a greater acceptance of R&R, I think it was an article in Rolling Stone magazine. I would think Mick has some notoriety there. Definitely more than McCartney.

--------------------
Mookie Wilson would've been safe anyway!

francescofuoco
Member # 126538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for francescofuoco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that Dwayne Johnson, in Italy is not a so much big star, so I don't think that he is on the level of Cristiano Ronaldo, Donald Trump.

I never heard somebody talking about him in TV, like for other American stars like George Clooney, Brad Pitt.

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by northwest territories:
EVERYONE talks about Trump, everywhere, night and day.

And Trump talks about Obama.

--------------------
"Yip!" -- Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elvis
Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:
Elvis

He dead.
I shop at One Stop
Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I shop at One Stop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton talking to his team about the significance of recently deceased Fats Domino to his team:

quote:
"I remember just talking a little bit about it, about Elvis, and then going through Fats Domino's accomplishments, and then some of the younger players asked, 'Who's Elvis Presley?'
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21985739/nfl-sean-payton-turned-symbolic-gestures-keep-new-orleans-saints-motivated

[ 06-14-2018, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: I shop at One Stop ]

--------------------
Where you buy it by the can or buy it by the case

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1000 Masks But No Jobs:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:

Like I said earlier, I know social media is not the only useful metric for measuring this, and I know many Trump or Obama haters will not follow them on social media. But since we are talking worldwide, I think it is hard to discount Ronaldo having 100 million more followers on Facebook and 20 million more on Twitter.
If you ask, trump says he has way more [Wink] and has pics to prove it

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Canadian 8 year old might not pick him out of a lineup but even she knows who Trump is. She would also know the Queen FWIW.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I shop at One Stop:
New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton talking to his team about the significance of recently deceased Fats Domino to his team:

quote:
"I remember just talking a little bit about it, about Elvis, and then going through Fats Domino's accomplishments, and then some of the younger players asked, 'Who's Elvis Presley?'
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21985739/nfl-sean-payton-turned-symbolic-gestures-keep-new-orleans-saints-motivated
Also read something fairly recently that some basketball coach at a black high school was talking about Ali and Frazier and none of the players knew who they were.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

GreenManalishi
Member # 3200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreenManalishi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI:
quote:
Elvis

He dead.
He left the building
The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Golden Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordan's on a lot of shoes.
Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rock is definitely up there.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NBA is pretty global these days. But I don't think there's a bigger than life figure in the NBA to put anyone above or on par with soccer/football players like Messi or Ronaldo.

I mean as great as LeBron is, definitely nowhere near as popular a personality as Jordan or even Shaq in their primes. Even Kobe was probably more of a icon like figure than LeBron....guy was super crazy over in China at the Beijing Olympics

Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly in China, but If you asked 100 people in the UK, and possibly Europe to pick out LeBron James out of a lineup you wouldn't get 5 who could

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cattle_Mutilation:
Possibly in China, but If you asked 100 people in the UK, and possibly Europe to pick out LeBron James out of a lineup you wouldn't get 5 who could

No I meant Kobe was super over in China....I said LeBron as great as he is just hasn't seem to struck a chord like a Jordan or Shaq did and a even though the NBA is more global now than ever, LeBron isn't in the class of a Messi
Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the most famous person alive typically the president of the U.S or an exceptional entertainer, such as Elvis, Michael Jordan, Ali, etc?

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI:
quote:
Elvis

He dead.
Yeah, RIGHT.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trump and Obama hands down. I'd throw Kim Kardashian in the mix but I'm not sure how international her scope is.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

awafan
Member # 63901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awafan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queen Elizabeth.
justahamandegger
Member # 5447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justahamandegger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackie Chan
Back pops
Member # 117351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Back pops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim Kardashian is on minor cable channels in Europe with figures in the 100s of thousands. Going back to when Friends was the biggest show in the USA. The actors did a European press junket and by all accounts acted like prima donnas. A French showbiz reporter had enough and when they turned up told them they were not worth her time as their viewing figures in France were less than a quarter of a million people.
Could easily apply to her now.
President of the USA is definitely a contender.

Wrestling Perspective
Member # 1487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Perspective   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
quote:
Originally posted by Cattle_Mutilation:

No I meant Kobe was super over in China....I said LeBron as great as he is just hasn't seem to struck a chord like a Jordan or Shaq did and a even though the NBA is more global now than ever, LeBron isn't in the class of a Messi
FWIW: ESPN ranked LeBron as the second most famous athlete in the world last year. One certainly can take issue with ESPN's methodology. I have some questions myself. But, at least using this metric, the athletes that appear the most in in the top 100 are ...

- Soccer: 38
- Basketball: 13
- Golf: 11
- Tennis: 10
- Football: 8

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/worldfame100/espn-world-fame-100-top-ranking-athletes

--------------------
Fake ... Working Through Wrestling's Past

Check Out Our Book: Olympic Television: Broadcasting The Biggest Show On Earth

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations