WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Gary Hart & WWF

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gary Hart & WWF
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did Gary Hart go to WWF and quit the same day he got there?

I would think he would have been a vital behind the scenes resource to Vince even if he wasn't used as on air talent.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
Back pops
Member # 117351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Back pops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In his book iirc he said Bruno had been told he badmouthed him and was hostile. Couldn't reconcile so was on his way.
Back pops
Member # 117351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Back pops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete Sanchez who Hart knew from Amarillo told Bruno Hart was saying derogatory things about him.
Hart denies this although concedes he regarded him as the WWWF champion not the World champ.
Bruno puts the mockers on a Hart run.
George Steele tells Bruno that Hart is a good guy but Bruno won't listen. Hart has one night at MSG is impressed and gets a $250 payoff from VJM who he says was a great guy.

Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew Hart worked there. I remember in an interview, Greg Valentine said when he went North during the expansion, he was told Jimmy Hart was going to be his manager. He thought they said Gary Hart and was disappointed when he met Jimmy.
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As well he should have been.

Regardless, I don't recall who, but in his book, he wrote that one of his friends got him to come. However, Gary had heat with Stronbow, and when he realized the stroke Stronbow had, he knew it wasn't going to work.

I'm doing all this from memory, at 5am, no less, so don't hold me to this being 100% on the money. But I think I'm pretty close to what he wrote.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Back pops
Member # 117351

Book says he was scouting Ivan Koloff for Jim Barnett.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary said that Scarpa deliberately screwed up his travel arrangements, I think it was, so that he would miss his first gig.

[ 06-13-2018, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, now that I'm reading it, the travel thing sounds right. But at any rate, it was heat with Scarpa that scuttled that opportunity.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Back pops
Member # 117351

Oh. Was that in a shoot? The book tells it as Bruno scuppered it. He does mention Strongbow being fired and them not getting on because of an incident in Atlanta when Hart was Booker.
Was there another WWF attempted run. He says that he only ever had one night in New York. Was he bought back after Bruno left?

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure it was in the book.

--------------------

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

quote:
Originally posted by Back pops:
Oh. Was that in a shoot? The book tells it as Bruno scuppered it. He does mention Strongbow being fired and them not getting on because of an incident in Atlanta when Hart was Booker.
Was there another WWF attempted run. He says that he only ever had one night in New York. Was he bought back after Bruno left?

It's in the book, as is Bruno having heat with him.

--------------------

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Was there another WWF attempted run.

Yes, summer of 1984 during the national expansion. He was at the airport ready to fly up there.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe for the best Hart never had a WWF run (at least onscreen). I have a strong feeling they would’ve mishandled him. I keep imagining a scene where Gary Hart gets cake smeared on his head at Uncle Elmer’s wedding.

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!

Lawler would knock their wee-wee off!

smokyrobmoore from TX
Member # 1582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokyrobmoore from TX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember the book correctly, WWF wanted Hart to manage Brutus Beefcake. Hart didn't want them to tell him who to manage. Later on, WWF wanted Hart to be Doink (Borne)'s manager and dress up like an evil circus ringmaster. Hart essentially told them to stuff it.

[ 06-13-2018, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: smokyrobmoore from TX ]

--------------------
http://www.facebook.com/robmooretexas

Old school is cool school

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWE still had interest in Hart well into the 2000s. There was talk of bringing him in to manage Umaga and guys like Dusty Rhodes & Michael Hayes were lobbying for it.
Back pops
Member # 117351

Completely missed that chapter when I read it.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

quote:
Completely missed that chapter when I read it.

The Umaga thing was mentioned in the WON shortly after Hart passed.
Back pops
Member # 117351

Thanks. I meant the 84 one. Just read it now. No idea about the Umaga thing. Really enjoyed the book but actually didn't like Hart as a manager. Always seemed off to me.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince wanted him to do the Curly-Shuffle when his man was losing instead of just sitting or standing in his man's corner doing nothing as he usually did.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Gary said that Scarpa deliberately screwed up his travel arrangements, I think it was, so that he would miss his first gig.

Hart was to manage a guy from Canada who is probably best known from the Savoldi ICW as Giant Gustav or Gustav The Giant, but who would have had some sort of monster heel gimmick in the WWF. The WWF taped its Kiel Auditorium cards for TV throughout 1984. Hart arrived in St. Louis first and was told by Jay Strongbow to wait at the airport for Gustav's plane to arrive and drive him to the arena. Hart waited and there was no Gustav on the plane. He checked in and was told to wait for the next flight. He waited and again the guy didn't get off the plane. Hart eventually went to the arena and found Gustav already there, then realizing that Strongbow had been messing with him. Mr. Fuji then said something Hart took as insulting and reminded Hart of trouble he'd had with Fuji in Georgia in the mid 1970s. He decided that the WWF waters were too shark infested and walked away that night before ever appearing at ringside or on TV.
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:

Hart was to manage a guy from Canada who is probably best known from the Savoldi ICW as Giant Gustav or Gustav The Giant, but who would have had some sort of monster heel gimmick in the WWF. The WWF taped its Kiel Auditorium cards for TV throughout 1984. Hart arrived in St. Louis first and was told by Jay Strongbow to wait at the airport for Gustav's plane to arrive and drive him to the arena. Hart waited and there was no Gustav on the plane. He checked in and was told to wait for the next flight. He waited and again the guy didn't get off the plane. Hart eventually went to the arena and found Gustav already there, then realizing that Strongbow had been messing with him. Mr. Fuji then said something Hart took as insulting and reminded Hart of trouble he'd had with Fuji in Georgia in the mid 1970s. He decided that the WWF waters were too shark infested and walked away that night before ever appearing at ringside or on TV.
going by memory.. didnt Fugi ask him about Pot and whether he had any?

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Yeah and Fuji had been the one who had narked on him to the office in Ga. Plus Fuji was a pothead himself.

--------------------

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why would he have to scout Koloff for Barnett. Ivan Koloff worked for Barnett in Georgia many times including as one half of the top heel tag team with booker Ole Anderson.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Back pops
Member # 117351

January 19th 1970. For Australia. Barnett said make sure he isn't a Crushed Verdu.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
quote:

Why would he have to scout Koloff for Barnett. Ivan Koloff worked for Barnett in Georgia many times including as one half of the top heel tag team with booker Ole Anderson.
This was in 1970, before Barnett owned Georgia. Hart said he went to New York to take a look at Ivan Koloff and was well treated by VJM and the WWWF brass, but later said he was given a bad rap by Bruno over an apparent misunderstanding and the potential of going there as a manager later was lost. The incidents with Strongbow and Fuji happened in 1984.
UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the book he also mentions that he talked to Vince in 88 or 89 and worked out a deal to bring Muta to the WWF. Hart felt that Muta would be jobbed out if he stayed in WCW and hurt his value in the States. He also thought WWF would market him better and they’d make more off merchandise. Muta balked at the idea and stuck with WCW much to Hart’s disapproval. Hart said that decision ultimately ended their working relationship.
Loucifer from CA
Member # 29820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loucifer from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the heat with Bruno was a whole other thing not related to that aborted run in the '80s.

IIRC from his book, Hart worked as a manager vs. Bruno in Houston. During a spot when Bruno got Hart in his bearhug, Hart told him, "We could make a lot of money with this in MSG," and Bruno replied, "That won't be necessary."

Back pops
Member # 117351

It was a really good read, but can see why it's never been reprinted as he spares no one.
As well as the usual suspects there's a few surprises. Kabuki and Muta are portrayed as glorified job guys who he moulded into stars but without him were still job guys. Also Sting was completely buried, dug up, set on fire then buried again. Doesn't match with the other info out there.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Keiji Muto was going to be a star in New Japan no matter what, with or without Hart and the Muta gimmick. That he became a star in the States with WCW can be attributed to the Great Muta gimmick because as White Ninja in Florida and Super Black Ninja with the WWC in Puerto Rico and with World Class, the guy didn't move needle.

Kabuki as Takachio was doing basically nothing. He was just another Japanese heel, working the midcard of various territories and was in Central States before he got the gimmick that made him famous. He had no body, average size, and hadn't made it big anywhere. The Kabuki gimmick made him a main event to near main event guy in World Class, JCP, and Georgia with some shots elsewhere. His trajectory was downward without this gimmick.

Back pops
Member # 117351

The book covers that and how he came up with the Kabuki gimmick. In both cases when they listened to the Booker rather than him, he said that they had reverted to their jobber mentality.
Considering the career both of them had post Hart it's not credible.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations