WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Really putting opponent out with sleeper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Really putting opponent out with sleeper
p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the finish called for someone to win with a sleeper, did the loser ever actually get put to sleep to add some realism?
IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an unfunny Johnny Weaver/Penny Banner joke in that one but I don't have the heart to make it.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the days when the referee would "wake up" the wrestler that was put to sleep.

--------------------
Accidentally punched myself in the face trying to pull my blanket up. If that doesn't accurately describe my life, I don't know what does.

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...hijacking a bit as it was a work but this is still my favorite sleeper angle.

--------------------
"I've been traveling throughout; exactly where, I don't know." - Ron Slinker

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WahooFan:
I miss the days when the referee would "wake up" the wrestler that was put to sleep.

In the WWWF the referees would make the wrestler who applied the sleeper wake up the loser. Usually it was massaging the neck/traps and then slapping him hard across the back.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Ladd and Strongbow do a program somewhere else? New York or Detroit maybe?

--------------------
"I've been traveling throughout; exactly where, I don't know." - Ron Slinker

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
quote:

In the WWWF the referees would make the wrestler who applied the sleeper wake up the loser. Usually it was massaging the neck/traps and then slapping him hard across the back.
Verne would wake his opponent up like that, too. In fact, he legit put a local Chicago sports guy named Tim Weigel out with a more martial arts looking version of the Sleeper. He woke him up massaging the carotid arteries.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobby Shane would do the sleeper on his opponent when in the Gulf Coast territory then leave the ring refusing to wake them up. Eventually, Ken Lucas who was on the card would run out & wake the guy up.
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great angle only thing that could have made it better was if Ladd had put the headdress on and did the war dance

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
quote:

That was the same thing the Mid-Atlantic refs would do. It was cool in that right after they hit him across the back, the wrestler would always wake up trying to swing and hit someone so the ref would have to get out of the way. Made it more realistic to a kid.

--------------------
Accidentally punched myself in the face trying to pull my blanket up. If that doesn't accurately describe my life, I don't know what does.

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who can forget this sleeper?

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the 6th grade in the school yard one morning when a student snuck up from behind and put another in the sleeper hold. A bunch of us stood laughing and anticipating what was next. The one applying the sleeper finally lets the kid go and BLAM he falls straight down head first on the concrete opening up a big gash on his forehead and he was legit asleep.

Didn’t know it could be used in a legit way until that day.

[ 05-18-2018, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ganja ]

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!

Lawler would knock their wee-wee off!

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember that, after awarding the victory, the referee would start counting to ensure that the winning wrestler woke up the sleeper. I never knew what would happen if they failed to wake the other before the count was over.
Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Well...hijacking a bit as it was a work but this is still my favorite sleeper angle.

This angle ended up on the cover of Inside Wrestling.

Unfortunately the headline was, Ernie Ladd:The Only Good Indian, Is A Dead Indian!

-

[ 05-18-2018, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Prefrontal-Lowblow ]

MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Georgia did this, too. I remember occasionally (either there or WWWF) the heel would refuse to wake up the jobber, and the announcers warned that the jobber would go into a coma!
rtbuck
Member # 128969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrWrestlingIIForever:
Georgia did this, too. I remember occasionally (either there or WWWF) the heel would refuse to wake up the jobber, and the announcers warned that the jobber would go into a coma!

Yep, I remember announcers saying if they don’t wake up their opponent soon they would go into a coma or else they would say it could cause brain damage. By the way the first guy I seen use the sleeper was Vic Rossatani in the old NWF(back then they referred to him as the King of the Sleeper) ...off track a bit here but back then it seemed like after every match the ring announcer would say “...& the winner of the match with...” and they would say the name of the move the wrestler used to win followed by the wrestler’s name

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations