WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » wwwf arion heel turn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wwwf arion heel turn
BRUNORULZ
Member # 82344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRUNORULZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure if this was already known,but over in the wwwf fb group there has been posted an 8mm video of his heel turn on strongbow! just under 3 minutes of silent footage but was damn cool seeing it again for the first time since it actually aired!
IP: Logged
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having trouble finding the exact group. Link, please? Can't wait to see it!
BRUNORULZ
Member # 82344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRUNORULZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent you a message
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, If you don't mind I'd like to see it again too.

--------------------
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the earlier WWF heel turns that I remember. A lot more face turns during that time.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back then it seems like heel turns happened like maybe every 2 - 3 years at best. But this period had Arion, Victor Rivera, Peter Maivia and then much later Larry Zybysko.

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:
Back then it seems like heel turns happened like maybe every 2 - 3 years at best. But this period had Arion, Victor Rivera, Peter Maivia and then much later Larry Zybysko.

Think Arion turned in 1974. Rivera and Maivia around 78/79ish. Larry turned in 1980.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Arion turn happened in December of 1974.

Peter Maivia turning on Bob Backlund and Arnold Skaaland while the two wrestlers faced Spiros Arion and Victor Rivera was taped at Philadelphia Arena (the smaller venue then used for taping Championship Wrestling) 10/10/78 with the show airing the weekend of 10/21/78. On the Monday night after the turn aired, 10/23/78, Maivia and Jay Strongbow teamed at Madison Square Garden due to a contractual obligation against the Yukon Lumberjacks with Maivia arguing with and then turning on Strongbow. That match/angle was repeated in a few markets.

Victor Rivera returned to the WWWF after about three years in mid summer of 1978. He'd been a babyface when he abruptly quit in 1975 to join the IWA. When he came back, he arrived as a heel. There was a vague explanation of him wanting the big money Freddie Blassie promised him, but there was no true angle.

The Larry Zbyszko turn on Bruno Sammartino had been built up over several weeks and a couple of taping cycles, but happened at the Championship Wrestling taping in Allentown on 1/22/80, airing the weekend of 2/2/80.

Were there any other heel turns in the WWWF/WWF prior to the national push at the end of 1983?

For that matter, was there another babyface turn apart from Jimmy Snuka in the fall of 1982?

[ 05-14-2018, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

NJRob65
Member # 8265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJRob65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swede Hanson turned babyface, full fledged, in May 1983. He may not have considered enough of a contender to merit mention. He refereed a match between Bob Backlund & Superstar Graham in December 1982 at Madison Square Garden, he ruled that Graham had submitted to the "chicken wing". Graham took exception to the ruling and challenged Hanson. Hanson was defeated by Graham at MSG, the next month, January 1983. He continued to face babyface opponents, for the next four months, until May of 1983.

By then, Hanson was a lower mid-card competitor.

[ 05-14-2018, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: NJRob65 ]

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat Patterson turned before Zbyszko. Sgt. Slaughter
turned soon after Hogan returned. Hulk Hogan counts, if he fits the timeline. He was the mirror opposite of Victor Rivera

--------------------
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimmy Valiant was the 1st one i saw.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://youtu.be/nLqtnXoswBQ

Any time I get to post that is worth it. Quality isn't the best but my goodness, that crowd was about as close to rioting as I ever seen. Also sounds like Walton saying Arion is the National Wrestling Alliance World Champion.

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJRob65:
Swede Hanson turned babyface, full fledged, in May 1983. He may not have considered enough of a contender to merit mention. He refereed a match between Bob Backlund & Superstar Graham in December 1982 at Madison Square Garden, he ruled that Graham had submitted to the "chicken wing". Graham took exception to the ruling and challenged Hanson. Hanson was defeated by Graham at MSG, the next month, January 1983. He continued to face babyface opponents, for the next four months, until May of 1983.

By then, Hanson was a lower mid-card competitor.

The set-up took place in the interview segments building up the Graham-Backlund match. Swede had been named special guest referee for this rematch. Graham and the Grand Wizard went on interviews insinuating the match was in the bag because Hanson was "one of them". Swede for his part did a few interviews claiming he was "an honest guy" and would call it down the middle. Wiz and Billy went along with this as if to insinuate Swede had to say what he was saying as a cover, but he was down with them. Backlund for his part had a cause for concern. The match went down like it did. Swede once again proclaimed he was an "honest guy" and Superstar took exception to this, and put a beatdown on the big Swede, and that was the turn.

Also ... Link please for the Arion turn film. Pretty much happened within a month of me discovering wrestling, and have been wanting to see it again ever since!

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't lost on me that when Graham came out and destroyed the belt, Backlund was wrestling Hanson. Hanson kept attacking Backlund when Backlund tried to go after Graham (the match was still going on). Backlund finally pinned Hanson but Graham leveled Backlund with the belt.

Anyway, I was so sure they were all in cahoots that when Swede was named special referee and we would finally be done with Howdy Doody as champion!
(looking back, what a weird choice as a referee since Swede wasn't a major player by then and they really never brought up that Backlund was wrestling Swede when the belt was destroyed)

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Arion turn felt weird to me at the time. He was a great wrestler but as heel he just seemed missing that something that makes for a good heel. He got tons of heat for the turn and feud with Strongbow but it left him as a kind of meh opponent for upper tier faces after that. No electricity in the character. He was a rugged tough guy but he never projected much beyond that. Too good looking to play a convincing normal ruffian without something else to jump out at you.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
Pat Patterson turned before Zbyszko. Sgt. Slaughter
turned soon after Hogan returned. Hulk Hogan counts, if he fits the timeline. He was the mirror opposite of Victor Rivera

I forgot about the Pat Patterson babyface turn. He'd been managed by the Grand Wizard of Wrestling starting with his arrival in the WWF as a regular in April of 1979. At the 11/13/79 taping cycle of Championship Wrestling in the third hour that aired the weekend of 12/1/79, there was an announcement that the Wiz had sold Pat's contract to Captain Lou Albano for $100,000 to alleviate a "cash flow" problem. Patterson reacted negatively to this surprising news, but Albano basically acted like a jerk by disregarding Pat's concerns and making it known that Patterson worked for him now and would follow orders.

The next taping cycle for Championship Wrestling was on 12/4/79 in Allentown and the first hour aired the weekend of 12/8/79. Patterson first gave an interview denouncing Albano and stating he wanted nothing to do with him. Pat then teamed with the Wild Samoans against Ivan Putski, Larry Zbyszko, and Dom DeNucci. Albano ordered Afa and Sika to not let Pat tag out, eventually leading an enraged Patterson to punch Albano. Afa and Sika jumped him and held him for an Albano chair shot. In a nice touch, the babyface team didn't immediately run to the aid of Pat Patterson and embrace their enemy of a few moments earlier as their new best friend. They watched from the apron during the chair shot and once Albano and the Samoans departed and it was ensured that no further attack would occur, the babyfaces departed too, minus any bonding with Patterson.

Heffos
Member # 129006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heffos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:

Victor Rivera returned to the WWWF after about three years in mid summer of 1978. He'd been a babyface when he abruptly quit in 1975 to join the IWA. When he came back, he arrived as a heel. There was a vague explanation of him wanting the big money Freddie Blassie promised him, but there was no true angle.

There WAS an angle (well, sought of).

Rivera briefly returned to the WWWF in 1976 to form a midcard tagteam with his "cousin" Johnny. He never got pushed back to his old slot probably both due to being punished for the IWA situation and his increasing weight problems.
Later he went back to Los Angeles, where he had been the lead babyface years ago. The LA territory now had both Mil Mascaras and the Guerrero Family (especially Chavo) on top of the cards. Victor turned heel there in a hot Puerto Rico vs Mexico rivalry. This feud was seen on east coast television by Spanish fans (and even some non-Spanish speaking gringos such as myself) on the Spanish International Network.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lower card guy but didn't Davey O'Hannon switch to the heel side in the mid-to-late '70s?

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:

Were there any other heel turns in the WWWF/WWF prior to the national push at the end of 1983?

Watts' turn was huge and done so well that I think the bar was set a little too high for turns like Arion's and Rivera's, which the two of them were not nearly as convincing in. As if the company needed another heel in the mix as opposed to the wrestler having a good reason for turning, and seeming vested in the new role the way Watts was.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rene Goulet was a heel upon his return in 1983; he had been a babyface prior.
Tanked
Member # 128938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac Rivera was a heel before mysteriously undergoing a name change and a baby face known as Jose Luis Rivera.

--------------------
Tanked

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations