WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » What story would you like to see a 30 for 30 about?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What story would you like to see a 30 for 30 about?
K. Fitz from Staten Island
Member # 4774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fitz from Staten Island   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’d like to see a 30 for 30 about Bruiser Brody,
What would you like to see?

--------------------
http://www.metacafe.com/tags/kevin_fitzgerald/

IP: Logged
Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Flair doc, while well done, did not offer a lot of new information. As such, my wish list includes subjects that I think would both be worthy of interest from ESPN/its audience AND would have the potential to add bring new information to light.

1) Facing Hogan

Similar to a great book/doc from years back ("Facing Ali", where all of Ali's opponents talked about fighting him), I would love a doc that looked at men who faced Hogan at the first nine Wrestlemanias, focusing on those matches/programs, and the effect they had on their career afterwards.

2) Saturday Night's Main Event

Right in the ESPN sweet spot for nostalgia (the mid-80s), I think there would be a great story to tell by mixing wrestling news with the XFL documentary-style discussion of Vince and
Ebersol's NBC dealings.

3) "I'm Huge In Japan"

A full examination of the appreciation of Japanese wrestling culture by the US audience, including the big gaijin names who went over, the importance of tape trading and dirt sheets to the growth of the US fan base of Japanese wrestling, the internet's role in the popularity of Japanese wrestling in the US, and how being a fan of AJPW or NJPW was kind of the alpha of the outgrowth of the current "hipster wrestling fan" fan base.

Mr. Parts Unknown
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Parts Unknown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're talking wrestling, I'll admit I'm biased, but I'd like to see something about Georgia Championship Wrestling igniting the national expansion of the cable era. Could start with the ASWA split following the death of Ray Gunkel and evolving with the advent of Turner's cable expansion and how (if?) it influenced McMahon, etc.

The only problem might be finding enough footage (particularly from the early '70s).

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie Ladd.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Bionic Lungs
Member # 23051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bionic Lungs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWA since it us to air on ESPN. It would be neat to see many AWA legends take part in the documentary.

--------------------
"Anytime you travel 36,000 miles above normalcy level, you will have turbulence. Anytime you mix two physically, mentally, reactive chemicals, there's gonna be boiling and there's gonna be bubbling." - Ultimate Warrior (SNME, 1/27/90)

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that we will ever see another pro wrestling based 30 for 30, but I agree, an in-depth look at Japanese wrestling culture would be super interesting.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a 3030 on the events of 1983 and 1984, The Death of territorial wrestling and the Rise of Vincent K. McMahon. Two years that changed the world

Start in early 83 and go to Wrestlemania I, March 1985

[ 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They already did the Von Erichs, so I'd think something on Owen Hart would be interesting. I'd personally rather see one on Lucha than Japan wrestling.
Guacamole Anderson
Member # 5859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guacamole Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:
I don't know that we will ever see another pro wrestling based 30 for 30, but I agree, an in-depth look at Japanese wrestling culture would be super interesting.

Through the lens of the death of Mitsuharu Misawa.
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see another 30/30 on anyone involved in pro wrestling. Netflix does some great a great job of covering those types of documentaries. I guess if there was 1 left. (Just crossed my mind) Kurt Angle might be a good one. Olympic gold, with a broken neck, his battles with substance abuse. Kind of reinventing his career. Yeah... that might be a good one.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Danny Hodge
2. Kamala
3. George Steele

[ 11-14-2017, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Herd72 ]

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not going the wrestling route, but loosely associated as Derrick Dukes was sort of involved.

The down fall and/or redemption of journeyman heavyweight boxer Tim Anderson, who killed his promoter Rick 'Elvis' Parker in cold blood after going through a series of events put on him at the hands of his promoter that almost made it look justified.

Also would love to see one about the World Football League.

[ 11-16-2017, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: PsychoSem ]

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Saturday

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Black Saturday

If this happens and it was produced like Flairs a cartoon image of Ole finding out he lost tv and losing it immediately popped in to my head.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabba Hey:
I can't see another 30/30 on anyone involved in pro wrestling.

Agree with that. Nearly all the suggestions in this thread appeal to too narrow an audience. Flair is a big enough pop culture name to have crossover appeal. Even many people who are not wrestling fans have at least heard of him or know who he is.

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that this was a thread about a 30 for 30 wrestling. I agree won't be another wrestling one. So since that is off the table, here is what I'd like to see:

1. Villanova's Cinderella Run in 1985
2. From Worst to First (Atlanta Braves 1991)
3. Danny and the Miracles (Kansas' 1988 Championship Run)
4. The Great White Hype (Gerry Cooney)
5. Dan and Dave

[ 11-17-2017, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 30/30 on the Life and Death of Bruiser Brody. But my fear is ...it would turn into not a story about the man, but a story about the murder.
PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan and Dave was one of the ones they used to launch the 30 for 30 podcasts.

https://youtu.be/Jf34Mmk84RU

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I thought that this was a thread about a 30 for 30 wrestling. I agree won't be another wrestling one. So since that is off the table, here is what I'd like to see:

1. Villanova's Cinderella Run in 1985
2. From Worst to First (Atlanta Braves 1991)
3. Danny and the Miracles (Kansas' 1988 Championship Run)
4. The Great White Hype (Gerry Cooney)
5. Dan and Dave

--------------------

Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob from IA:
They already did the Von Erichs, so I'd think something on Owen Hart would be interesting.

A&E's Biography did an episode about Owen Hart that was done well.
18 Guys Named Ramirez
Member # 5323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18 Guys Named Ramirez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The World Football League would be a great one. Excellent suggestion.

--------------------
"Look here, If you don't get your *** to work, I got 18 guys named Ramirez that want your job.." Contractor resurfacing my driveway to an argumentative employee. (He got back to work.)

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a 3030 on the World Bodybuilding Federation, the story of Vince McMahons failed attempt to take down Joe Welder and the Weider bodybuilding empire. While at tbe same time being on trial for trafficking steroids. Did the Weiders secretly encourage the feds to go after Vince? There is a good story there

[ 11-17-2017, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Yeah, when you have a team that's players haven't been paid in five weeks playing in the championship game that had drawn 30k - 60k to all of it's home games. That story needs to be told.

Plus guys like the Miami 3 and Stabler committing to go to WFL teams.

Memphis and Birmingham trying to enter the NFL after it folded.

Just lots of interesting things going on there.

quote:
Originally posted by 18 Guys Named Ramirez:
The World Football League would be a great one. Excellent suggestion.

--------------------

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an episode of NFL Films that covers the WFL. They used to show them ESPN all the time, but they probably are on NFL Network now.

Here it is on youtube if you need a fix.

https://youtu.be/Gkfb7dwT4IQ

For wrestling fans, Eddie Einhorn is interviewed i n it if you skip to around 13 minutes in.

[ 11-17-2017, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Rob from IA ]

Sli
Member # 128881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonawanda Kardex
Luke the Dumpster
Member # 126767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke the Dumpster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly think wrestling will have another 30 for 30. You have the following legit options...
1. Brusier Brody
2. Kurt Angle
3. The Hart Family
4. The Attitude Era/Monday Night Wars

From a non-wrestling standpoint.
1. J.R Richard
2. The Malace at the Palace
3. Aaron Hernandez and Tim Tebow
4. Drug problems in 70's & 80's NBA

--------------------
"It's time to take out the trash"

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick the Bruiser. 4 years with the Packers and then one of the big draws in the ring.
Wrestling Perspective
Member # 1487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Perspective   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:

Given the ratings for the Flair 30 For 30, I'd actually be surprised if they didn't go back to the pro wrestling well.

--------------------
Fake ... Working Through Wrestling's Past

Olympic Television: Broadcasting The Biggest Show On Earth

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations