WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Manny Fernandez: Stolen Valor? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Manny Fernandez: Stolen Valor?
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manny Fernandez claims to be a Vietnam War veteran and also a Navy Seal. Is this a case of stolen valor? I remember Dave Meltzer questioning the timeline of Manny being in college and Vietnam. Manny claims he went to college after Vietnam on the GI bill (I think) and that he was in Vietnam at the time we were evacuating our people from there. He told me personally that he got the tattoo on his forearm in Saigon.

[ 10-12-2017, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Claymation Quartermain ]

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manny Fernandez also claimed to have been an NFL player who was in two super bowls with the Miami Dolphins

Anyway this site thoroughly debunks any claim that Manny Fernandez ever served in 'Nam as a Navy Seal or otherwise. He did not:

https://militaryphony.com/2017/09/13/manuel-fernandez-aka-manny-fake-navy-seal-fake-vietnam-vet-fake-combat-vet/

[ 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manny Fernandez also claims the Invader 3 pig blood match was a real injury in a shoot match which was his revenge for Brody's murder

Manny Fernandez is a lying a*****e with zero grip on reality

[ 10-13-2017, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Kid Canada
Member # 7294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Canada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helluva of a worker though. He was really really good
Jay P. Punk
Member # 4082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay P. Punk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great worker...no doubt. Talk about believable. That being said, I've wondered how the heck he's continued to tell this story if it's so demonstrably false, particularly in this day and age. I've wavered at times thinking he couldn't be that stupid to continue to talk about it if it wasn't true...and then I look at the time line. I take no pleasure in seeing an elderly carny beat up over his working everyone but geez...give it a rest Manny.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The title sounds like if could be a movie about an anti-Rambo character.

A lone man wanders into a small town, the sheriff checks him out, the man says he was in Nam and is visiting his old squad mates. The sheriff runs his id and finds he was too young to be in Nam, lets him go. The man says he doesn't want any trouble, the sheriff gives him none.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

The Midnight Lurker
Member # 1084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Midnight Lurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This, then, casts some doubt on Jimmy Valiant's claims that they were in the same platoon.

[Roll Eyes]

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dolphin's Manny Fernandez
 -

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He and Bobby Jagggers were two of the biggest liars in the business.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched part of his most recent you shoot. He lost me when he was adamant he and Abdullah the Butcher were supposed to main event Starrcade. Don’t know on what planet that was to happen but sure as hell wasnt earth.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's as bad as Dick Murdoch getting a baby face push in Crockett in the 80's by playing up his past as a patriotic Captain in the US Marines, Captain Redneck. Murdoch was in wrestling since he was 15. Never served. Maybe he was 4F'd for being too fat which is what happened to Bill Watts and Wahoo McDaniel

[ 10-13-2017, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say manny worse - Murdoch was playing a role

Fernandez continues to claim it as a shoot, tho of course Dick was not around long enough for us to know if he would have done the same

And as stated above this isn't even the only situation where people died and Fernandez uses it to lie and make himself look good

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Murdoch actually was in the USMC Reserve. I seem to recall reading that a lot of people in the business were surprised to find that playing football at West Texas was a work and the Marines was a shoot. Everyone thought it was the reverse.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

quote:
Originally posted by oblongo:
I thought Murdoch actually was in the USMC Reserve. I seem to recall reading that a lot of people in the business were surprised to find that playing football at West Texas was a work and the Marines was a shoot. Everyone thought it was the reverse.

no he was not in the marines. he got in wrestling in 1965 and worked continuously over the years. He could not have served in the Reserves when he wrestled single weekend. you can track his career there are no substantial gaps. He was also too big. The military used to have a 235lb max rule which is why Watts and McDaniel served.

Besides a 'stint' in the Marines reserves back in the 60s was five to eight years. He wasn't going home to any base on weekends or weeks for years in Texas every weekend when he was teaming with Dusty up in the AWA. Even in the Marine Reserves then he'd have been sent to 'Nam, you didn't get easy duty then, which he didn't because he never served

[ 10-13-2017, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Knight:
Manny Fernandez also claimed to have been an NFL player who was in two super bowls with the Miami Dolphins

Anyway this site thoroughly debunks any claim that Manny Fernandez ever served in 'Nam as a Navy Seal or otherwise. He did not:

https://militaryphony.com/2017/09/13/manuel-fernandez-aka-manny-fake-navy-seal-fake-vietnam-vet-fake-combat-vet/

From the comments:

I don’t know how tough SEAL selection was in the 1970s, but I’d assume it was of a similar difficulty to the stories you hear now about Hell Week and so on. Here’s what Manny had to say about it in an interview from about 10 years ago:
“I found out the navy was kind of boring so I got into some trouble with the navy in the barracks with the master at arms slapping people around so they was going to kick me out but they gave me a chance to try out for the Seals and I took the course, and basically it’s just a floating course and how long you can float and tread water in a pool and stuff like that which I used to swim all my life, my mom taught me so it wasn’t too hard”
Who knew selection for elite special forces was just floating and treading water in a pool? Not me.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Any idea if having a 90's jobber share Manny's name was a rib by Dusty or something?

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manny also told me he played for the KC Chiefs under Levy.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

was that jobber maybe his son Manny Jr?

in the Hardy Boys book, Matt writes that Manny was a jerk. Matt and Jeff were booking an indie show somewhere in NC and Manny shows up in the lockerroom before the show and demands to be booked Because he was Manny Fernandez and he was gracing them with his presence. they almost had a fight

[ 10-14-2017, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hilarious that wrestling's Manny Fernandez claimed an NFL career given that he's about 5-6 and the football player of the same name dwarfs him.

Great worker tho.

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz Hunter's Boyfriend:
Hilarious that wrestling's Manny Fernandez claimed an NFL career given that he's about 5-6 and the football player of the same name dwarfs him.

Great worker tho.

To be fair, I don’t think he’s ever claimed to be that Manny Fernandez and the way the rosters and camps for the NFL used to be he very well could have gone to camp with a team after college at West Texas. His last shoot was actually really good. He gives his side of the Hardy story. It’s obviously different. I tend to believe some of what he says because he takes a lot of blame and admits several shortcomings throughout his interview. He seemed like the kind of guy you’d want to sit down and hang out with. Whatever the deal is with the Vietnam stuff, I really don’t know. I think a lot of wrestlers are workers for so long that the work never really ends.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

It wasn't Manny, it was the CWF folks who claimed or implied on tv that he was the MF from the Dolphins.

--------------------
n/a

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
...at the time we were evacuating our people...

I'm always amused by this.

--------------------
"Yip!" -- Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Here's an article where Manny says he played special teams for the Chiefs
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/5/19/4345188/arrowheadlines-kansas-city-chiefs-news-5-19

quote:
The wrestling pitch never waned, says Fernandez, even as he was testing the pro football waters, trying out with teams like the Kansas City Chiefs.
"It just didn't happen for me in football. I was 6-0, 265, not the biggest guy in the ‘70s."
Fernandez followehe 70'sd the pro football trail for three years. He did some special teams work with the Chiefs.

Manny was 6 ft. and 265lbs?!?!?! he'd have been horribly fat! more like 5 ft. 8 and 190

[ 10-14-2017, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a goalie for the Dallas Stars in the NHL named Manny Fernandez?
habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pbhero:
Wasn't there a goalie for the Dallas Stars in the NHL named Manny Fernandez?

Yup. Played with the Wild too.
David meltzer
Member # 2690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David meltzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been around Manny several times when he lived in San Jose, I'd say he was about 6-0 and 240, give or take a few pounds.
The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David meltzer:
Having been around Manny several times when he lived in San Jose, I'd say he was about 6-0 and 240, give or take a few pounds.

I'm 5'10" and he was slightly taller than me, IIRC. He was, indeed, about 240-250. I have no idea where people get that he was a small man.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Yeah but he wouldn't have been fast enough at that kind of weight to play in the NFL.

--------------------
n/a

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does WCW Manny look like a young Tommy Dreamer?
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

He would clearly have been too fat to serve in the military. 5 ft 10 and 240+, the Navy would have 4F'd him, he would have never made it through Seal training

--------------------
n/a

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
Manny Fernandez claims to be a Vietnam War veteran and also a Navy Seal. Is this a case of stolen valor? I remember Dave Meltzer questioning the timeline of Manny being in college and Vietnam. Manny claims he went to college after Vietnam on the GI bill (I think) and that he was in Vietnam at the time we were evacuating our people from there. He told me personally that he got the tattoo on his forearm in Saigon.

Saigon fell in 1975 and in both 75 and 76 Manny was playing football at West Texas State, and he played junior college ball the 2xyears before that. He was lying to you

--------------------
n/a

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He would clearly have been too fat to serve in the military. 5 ft 10 and 240+, the Navy would have 4F'd him, he would have never made it through Seal training

I have no idea if he was or wasn't in the military.

But Manny was MUCH lighter when he broke into the business than he was in the mid-80's.

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by David meltzer:

I'm 5'10" and he was slightly taller than me, IIRC. He was, indeed, about 240-250. I have no idea where people get that he was a small man.
lots of lineman in the NFL in the late 70's in the 240-250 range, that would have been a heavy linebacker.

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:

But Manny was MUCH lighter when he broke into the business than he was in the mid-80's.

Manny is quoted in that article that he was 260 when he went out for the NFL after college, which was before he broke into the business.

--------------------
n/a

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:

Manny is quoted in that article that he was 260 when he went out for the NFL after college, which was before he broke into the business.
You can't dismiss 80% of what Manny says but suddenly quote him for accuracy. Just saying. I've seen videos of early Manny, probably first two or three years in and there was no way he was 260 at that time. He might say he was, but using logic. He says he was in Vietnam, he wasn't. He says he played in the NFL, he didn't. He said he was 260 when he broke in, he probably wasn't.
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liars go big.
Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Gee. Rick Rude must have been 6-7 then [Roll Eyes]

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a post about Manny and his military background that I've made in other posts and will post again here.

quote:
Manny didn't even graduate high school until the spring of 1973, by which time the United States had already ceased running combat missions in Vietnam. Manny played JUCO football in his hometown San Jose before going on to West Texas State to play there and then on to pro wrestling.

Manny's version of events has him playing JUCO football in San Jose after turning down nearly 50 scholarship offers for football and wrestling. Then he turned down USC in 1974 to enlist in the Navy where he became a SEAL and somehow saw combat in Vietnam after which he was honorably discharged. Keep in mind that's Manny's story now. At one time he claimed he was a marine rather than a SEAL and was in Vietnam in 1972.

Manny claims he ended then up in El Paso where Chavo Guerrero was working both as a pro wrestler and high school wrestling coach (Chavo's deal is legit). Manny says Chavo recruited him as an assistant coach and then West Texas State asked Manny to walk on for football.

Maybe he did serve, but certainly wasn't a SEAL and definitely saw no combat. More likely he's still working people, and maybe himself. The timeline says he played JUCO football in 1973 and 1974, then went on to West Texas State in 1975 and 1976. He'd have finished school in the spring of 1977. If there was a redshirt season, Manny would have finished playing in 1977 with school ending in the spring of 1978 with his first match later that year.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

And just to add to Tamalies time line the match I saw on YouTube was from 79 with manny going with a “macho manny” nickname. If he was anything over 225-230 I’ll need new eyes.

[ 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

Lee Wong
Member # 912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Wong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an ex-SEAL by the name of Don Shipley who's life work is exposing stolen valor amongst the lowlifes who claim to have been but weren't. He has tons of YouTube videos. He goes about it in a very professional way. He gives the guy the benefit of a doubt and asks him some very simple questions that a SEAL would automatically know. Judging by what's been said in this thread, Manny would fail miserably. Personally I REALLY despise people who fake being in the service.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations