WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Semi OT: The Reggie Jackson Award (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Semi OT: The Reggie Jackson Award
greenhornet
Member # 25257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenhornet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who remember how Reggie Jackson treated some fans during his day, who these days gets that award wrestling, and/or other sport celebrities?

Is this fair to Reggie Jackson or did he just have bad interactions with fans like Jericho has?

IP: Logged
Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in NY at the time, I thought Dave Kingman had a MUCH WORSE reputation for fan interactions than Reggie.

The NY Ranger who married Carol Alt (name escaping me at the time) was also thought of as a p---k in a lot of bar/club social circles at the time.

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dad shared an elevator ride with Reggie in New York back in the late 1970s. Said he was nice as could be.
Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curt Injurker:
The NY Ranger who married Carol Alt (name escaping me at the time) was also thought of as a p---k in a lot of bar/club social circles at the time.

Ron Greschner
Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greschner, yeah.

Him and some other guys tried to revive Bachelors III, and it was a complete and utter disaster.

JJ Bklyn42
Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ Bklyn42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, lots of fans were far worse toward Reggie than Reggie ever was to the fans (not to mention the Mets' powers that were, who drafted Steve Chilcott [Confused] ahead of him, allegedly because Reggie had a white girlfriend at the time). [Mad]

--------------------
"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives" - Jack Roosevelt Robinson

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression back then, that Reggie wasn't aggressively a jerk to people, but just wasn't particularly sociable.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

JJ - At least we fared better in the supplemental draft that year [Smile]
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floyd Mayweather Jr. Floyd is a jerk to everybody, even hiso friends

Have heard conflicting impressions of Tom Brady. One person said Brady's full of it and that he deserved to have his game jersey stolen out of the locker room after the Super Bowl in January

[ 10-10-2017, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Former Twin, Yankee and Royal, Chuck Knoblauch was legendary for treating fans like garbage.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andre Ethier can't be beat.
There was a time when he was still relevant that I saw him ignore a female fan wearing his jersey with nobody around and her pleading for a simple hello.

I later read that he didn't want to show up on people's social media pages, so he refused to take pictures with anyone. What a moron.

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having owned a sportscard store and run/exhibited at numerous shows, I've interacted with loads of former and current baseball players (the lesser sports were never my thing). Most of my activity was in the 1990s, so there's lots of contemporary players that I've never met. Anyway, off the top of my head:

Eddie Mathews & Mickey Mantle - Two of my childhood heroes, showed up drunker than skunks and spent most of the afternoon trying to look up the dress of the poor feature reporter sent to interview them. Seeing a couple of guys in their fifties behaving like this was just sad.

George Foster - Simply a delight to talk to, didn't have much of a line so I got to sit and chat with him for about twenty minutes. We were interrupted by the other guest, Gaylord Perry, who slid over a signed 8 x 10 announcing "Ten bucks for a HOFr's autograph, that's a bargain!" I gave him the famous "Pelan gaze of contempt", wherein I peer over my glasses at the offending party as though they were a small crawly thing leaving a trail of slime in their wake, and said as frostily as possible; "Excuse me, but I'm having a conversation with Mr. Foster."

Ernie Banks - Forget all the nonsense about the lovable guy known for "Let's play two!" The reality is a surly old guy that kept looking at his watch so that he didn't spend a second more than his contract called for signing for fans.

Wade Boggs - Self-important jackwagon. After a Mariners/Sox game Phil Plantier was signing for a group of fans outside the Kingdome, Boggs sauntered up and loudly said "C'mon rook, those people don't matter..." and led Plantier away. What a jerk.

Ryne Sandberg - You would think that Rogers Hornsby or Chuckie Knoblauch would be the biggest jerk to ever play 2nd in MLB. You would be wrong. Sandberg makes Hornsby look like an HR counselor and Knoblauch like a clubhouse leader as opposed to the whiney little ***** that he is.

Mark McGwire - Seemed to be a very pleasant guy.

Randy Johnson - Total dick, tried to tell a kid that he wasn't really Randy Johnson, just someone who looked like him. This was in a cardshop where there was the owner, myself, the kid and his father and no one else there. So it's not like he was going to get mobbed for autographs. Johnson then spent the next half-hour displaying his complete ignorance about card collecting, badgering the owner about pricing based on X player being better than Y regardless of the condition or year of the items in question.

Hank Aaron - Very nice man, his handlers were total jerks, however.

Barry Bonds - For all the stories that he hates white people and is rude to fans, he was totally professional. Okay, he's not exactly "Mr Warmth", but nobody said he had to be. He was paid to show up and sign things for specific prices and that's what he did. Nothing more or less than what was required.

Graig Nettles - A nice, genuinely funny guy. Seemed like he was having a blast shooting the **** with fans.

Derek Jeter - Got to give him props for not rising to the bait. Saw him and his companion for the evening at a well-known Seattle eatery. I sent him a drink (a vinegar and water) and he didn't even scowl in our direction. I've always felt a bit badly about that as I guess he's really a pretty decent dude.

Pete Rose - How can you take a man seriously that wears a lime-green polyester sport coat with orange slacks. Total mark for himself.

That's enough for now... No other real surprises other than Willie Mays is far from the nice guy portrayed in the press, like Banks, seemed to be a very bitter old guy. Not that Banks, Mays and other black players of their era didn't have to live through some pretty horrendous crap during their careers, but I can't imagine that Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson had substantially different experiences and they both seemed to be genuinely happy to interact with fans of all ages and races.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met Bob Feller once signing at a minor league game and he was a total jerk. He would only sign his 8 x 10's and would not sign baseballs

I also met Yogi Berra once at a game, he was scouting at the time, and he signed and talked. nice guy. He was Yogi after all

--------------------
n/a

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I wrote a letter to the NY Yankees clubhouse at Reggie Jackson's attention asking him for a signed autograph. About two months later I received an envelope from the NY Yankees. Inside was a signed picture of Reggie Jackson. Eh, for all I know it may have been Yankees personnel and not Reggie himself. Whatever the case was, I was on cloud 9.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
Having owned a sportscard store and run/exhibited at numerous shows, I've interacted with loads of former and current baseball players (the lesser sports were never my thing). Most of my activity was in the 1990s, so there's lots of contemporary players that I've never met. Anyway, off the top of my head:

Eddie Mathews & Mickey Mantle - Two of my childhood heroes, showed up drunker than skunks and spent most of the afternoon trying to look up the dress of the poor feature reporter sent to interview them. Seeing a couple of guys in their fifties behaving like this was just sad.

George Foster - Simply a delight to talk to, didn't have much of a line so I got to sit and chat with him for about twenty minutes. We were interrupted by the other guest, Gaylord Perry, who slid over a signed 8 x 10 announcing "Ten bucks for a HOFr's autograph, that's a bargain!" I gave him the famous "Pelan gaze of contempt", wherein I peer over my glasses at the offending party as though they were a small crawly thing leaving a trail of slime in their wake, and said as frostily as possible; "Excuse me, but I'm having a conversation with Mr. Foster."

Ernie Banks - Forget all the nonsense about the lovable guy known for "Let's play two!" The reality is a surly old guy that kept looking at his watch so that he didn't spend a second more than his contract called for signing for fans.

Wade Boggs - Self-important jackwagon. After a Mariners/Sox game Phil Plantier was signing for a group of fans outside the Kingdome, Boggs sauntered up and loudly said "C'mon rook, those people don't matter..." and led Plantier away. What a jerk.

Ryne Sandberg - You would think that Rogers Hornsby or Chuckie Knoblauch would be the biggest jerk to ever play 2nd in MLB. You would be wrong. Sandberg makes Hornsby look like an HR counselor and Knoblauch like a clubhouse leader as opposed to the whiney little ***** that he is.

Randy Johnson - Total dick, tried to tell a kid that he wasn't really Randy Johnson, just someone who looked like him. This was in a cardshop where there was the owner, myself, the kid and his father and no one else there. So it's not like he was going to get mobbed for autographs. Johnson then spent the next half-hour displaying his complete ignorance about card collecting, badgering the owner about pricing based on X player being better than Y regardless of the condition or year of the items in question.

Barry Bonds - For all the stories that he hates white people and is rude to fans, he was totally professional. Okay, he's not exactly "Mr Warmth", but nobody said he had to be. He was paid to show up and sign things for specific prices and that's what he did. Nothing more or less than what was required.

Graig Nettles - A nice, genuinely funny guy. Seemed like he was having a blast shooting the **** with fans.

Derek Jeter - Got to give him props for not rising to the bait. Saw him and his companion for the evening at a well-known Seattle eatery. I sent him a drink (a vinegar and water) and he didn't even scowl in our direction. I've always felt a bit badly about that as I guess he's really a pretty decent dude.

Pete Rose - How can you take a man seriously that wears a lime-green polyester sport coat with orange slacks. Total mark for himself.

That's enough for now... No other real surprises other than Willie Mays is far from the nice guy portrayed in the press, like Banks, seemed to be a very bitter old guy. Not that Banks, Mays and other black players of their era didn't have to live through some pretty horrendous crap during their careers, but I can't imagine that Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson had substantially different experiences and they both seemed to be genuinely happy to interact with fans of all ages and races.

Gee, thanks for making me think differently of Ryne and Ernie. I've heard that Sandberg is truly a nice guy. Maybe you caught him on a bad day. Jeez, I didn't think they came any nicer than Mr. Cub himself.

--------------------

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

On the good side there is Cal Ripken Jr. I saw a couple of games in Baltimore which were when Ripken was about to break Gehrig's consecutive games played streak. At one of the games he was there in the empty stadium two plus hours after the game had ended, because his line was so long. Still in uniform smiling and signing. Didn't want to leave anybody out. Cal Ripken Jr. was the real deal.

[ 10-10-2017, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have met both Sandberg & Banks on more than one occasion and both were pretty nice. Sandberg was never bubbling with personality when I met him but he was always cordial & pleasant.

Banks totally lived up to the "Lets Play Two" Mr. Cub persona I had heard about. Very gracious & you can tell the man loved the game.

Edit to add: As a life long Cardinals fan if I could find a reason to take a shot at a Cubs player I would, but neither of them gave me reason too!

[ 10-10-2017, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: stlbrodyfan ]

jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard someone's personal account of working in a restaurant during Reggie Jackson's playing days and Reggie being extremley offensive towards a female bartender.(along the lines of "Hey, why don't you show me your t***." over and over again.
Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend and I met Willie Mays at a card show, I don't know how anyone could have come away from that show with any opinion about whether he was a nice guy or a jerk while we were standing in line for an autograph because of the way the people putting on the show were herding people through. When our turns came up, it was made very clear by the show personnel that we were not to ask for anything (like personalizing an autograph) of Willie. So my friend, being of Japanese heritage and a history buff of Japanese baseball ballplayers asked Willie about Masanori Murakami. Willie's face lit up and he shared a little story about Murakami's time with the Giants. The show people didn't like Willie spending too much time talking and let my friend know it. Willie told the lady that she could hold on a second and let him finish telling the story. It was a great few minutes. I've heard that Willie can be cantankerous, but he'll always be OK in my book because of that interaction with my friend.

I also have had a few interactions with Barry Bonds over the years. The first was when I was playing Pop Warner football and we played against him and his brother. Of course we all saw Bobby Bonds watching from the sidelines and he was just another dad watching his kids play.

A number of years later, I was coaching Pop Warner and there was this guy standing down the sidelines taking pictures. I was standing somewhat close to him when a couple my players tackled this kid from the other team near where this guy taking pictures was at. He told the kid "nice run" and then my players "good play guys". I asked him if the kid was his son and he said it was his nephew. Just then, I realized I was taking to Barry Bonds. So, I walk back towards the middle of the field and my dad who was coaching with us quietly said, "that looks like Barry Bonds", and I said it was. Just then, one of our kids comes up and said that Barry Bonds was on the sidelines. within the next few minutes, all our kids knew who it was. And the crazy thing about the whole thing, not one of the kids made a big deal out of it.

Willie McCovey is awesome.

Dusty Baker comes across as a nice guy.

Pete Rose was one of my favorite players when I was in elementary school. Then I saw him being himself before a game at Candlestick Park... what an a$$. And that was waaaaaaay before any of the gambling stuff came out.

As far as I could tell, once he was interacting with fans, Reggie Jackson was OK. But, that was at the ballpark and mostly kids asking for autographs.

Mark McGuire and Jose Canseco always seemed to be real nice to the kids. Ricky Henderson, always in his own world.

Since I've lived in the Atlanta area, I've had many opportunities to interact with Glen Hubbard (former Braves 2nd baseman) - I got his autograph - and Dale Murphy's as well - at Candlestick Park when the Braves were in town. Both are great guys and very nice to the fans.

Tommy Lasorda seems to enjoy meeting the fans. As a Giants fan, I had to hate him, but he was very nice.

Shared an elevator with Wilt Chamberlain many years ago ant the old Aladdin in Las Vegas (the night after the 1st Holyfield/Bowe fight). He and my old boss discussed the fight on the ride.

Sat next to Jerome Bettis on a flight from Pittsburgh to Atlanta. He was great with the fans and even apologized to me for everyone reaching across me to shake his hand. Super nice guy. Mike Jones (Virgil) was also on that flight and I had a nice conversation with him while waiting to board. I can see how he can come across as standoffish, but he was cool with me.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:
Former Twin, Yankee and Royal, Chuck Knoblauch was legendary for treating fans like garbage.

The all time Chuck Knoblauch story was of a 16 year old kid wanting an autograph outside the team hotel on a road trip in Seattle. Chuck twice refused and the kid yelled "you suck!" in return. Chuck then grabbed the kid by the shirt collar, tearing it in the process, backed him up against a concrete pillar, and asked in a very angry and intimidating tone why the kid wanted his autograph if he sucked. The kid went too far with the "you suck" comment. Knoblauch is under no obligation to sign anything and many players avoid signing anything outside the hotel because that's where collectors, often using kids as fronts, attempt to get memorabilia signed for immediate sale. However, Chuck was even more out of line by manhandling a 16 year old who posed him absolutely no physical danger at all.

He also treated rank and file front office and baseball staff members, as opposed to people like the Twins' president and GM, very poorly as well. When he was traded ahead of the 1998 season, plenty of people over there were in a celebratory mood. The general feeling over there was Chuck's first wife, who is also his first ex wife, messed up his head in many ways as far as overblowing his ego and sense of self importance as well as engineering his trade demand one year after he'd signed a large contract extension. Supposedly he's calmed down a lot since then.

IMD Huckster
Member # 1903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMD Huckster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum GA:
Rickey Henderson, always in his own world.

It was a spring training trip when the Yankees still played in Ft. Lauderdale and the Braves and Expos shared a ballpark in West Palm Beach. The bleachers began just beyond the dugouts and Henderson was with the Yankees. He came out into the on deck circle; my 7 year old son leaned over the fence with a ball and asked, "Mr. Henderson, could you please sign my ball?"

Rickey replied, "I can't sign for you now son because I'm working, but wait around after the game and I'll sign for you and anybody else who wants an autograph. At the end of the 7th inning he was replaced in the lineup and immediately jogged down to the left field foul pole where he proceeded to work his way along the fence, signing, shaking hands and posing for photos with each and every person who asked up until a good half hour after the game.

Tom Seaver, on the other hand, major dick. At the old Yankee Stadium my wife and I, and our son (10 years old now), along with my son's best buddy were killing time in the area of the players' entrance before the stadium opened. There was a crowd by the employees' entrance where Phil Rizzuto was holding court, holy cowing and huckleberrying and generally being the Scooter when Tom Seaver, then a color analyst for the Yankee broadcast, drove into the private parking lot. My son and his pal stood at the gate; there was no crowd, they had nothing for him to sign. They called out, "Hi Mr. Seaver." He blew between and past them, not even bothering to look down; it was as if they weren't even there.

Now I can understand if you need to get to your job and don't want to attract a crowd of autograph seekers but what would it have cost this arrogant ***** to say, "Hi kids." Two words. "Hi kids." But he was too self important to waste his breath.

--------------------
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

Dissin' Terry Funk
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dissin' Terry Funk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with some family at Crown Center in KC back in 1978. The Yankees were in town and that night was their first game under new skipper Bob Lemon.
It was also Mike Heath's major league debut and Ron Guidry's 15th win in 16 decisions, but I digress.

As we were standing in the foyer, a few of the Yankees began filtering out of the motel. My 10-year old cousin asked each one he saw for an autograph and all but one obliged. There was Paul Blair, Roy White, and a couple others I don't recall.....maybe Ed Figueroa......

Anyway, Lou Piniella comes sauntering by and my cousin asks for his autograph. Piniella replied, "Sure kid, as soon as I come back", at which point he ducked into the bar.

When he returned, my cousin approached him again, and Lou smarmily quipped, "I already signed for you!"

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Cal Ripken's son was playing in a Summer League game he signed for anyone as long as his son wasn't on the field.
lorac55
Member # 6281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lorac55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What kind of person does something like that?

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got into a cab right after Kirby Puckett left it in Toronto back in the mid 90s. The Hatian cabbie was beside himself at how Kirby treated him. 2nd hand info, but can't judge a book by its cover. Before the scandals came out, Kirby seemed like the nicest guy in the game.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah a guy almost 7 ft. tall and that ugly, i hope there aren't two of them around.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dissin' Terry Funk:

Anyway, Lou Piniella comes sauntering by and my cousin asks for his autograph. Piniella replied, "Sure kid, as soon as I come back", at which point he ducked into the bar.

When he returned, my cousin approached him again, and Lou smarmily quipped, "I already signed for you!"

Damn, that's not very Sweet of him
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Might not have liked Reggie Jackson much, but I *loved*

-

Reggie Bars!

--------------------
n/a

jjenginer
Member # 37009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjenginer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meet and saw Bob Feller couple of times real jerk came across as a grumpy old ass who did not care about fans

Johnny Bench total class act the one time saw him years ago spend about 45 minutes in an airport talking to about half dozen fans very polite, signed things just real professional and appreciative where a couple of kids there he even got out a reds tshirts from his suitcase signed them gave to to them was giving kids advice about working hard, listen to your parents and coaches so forth (this was years after he retired don't think kids knew him but the dads where excited)

[ 10-11-2017, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: jjenginer ]

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jjenginer:
Meet and saw Bob Feller couple of times real jerk came across as a grumpy old ass who did not care about fans

Johnny Bench total class act the one time saw him years ago spend about 45 minutes in an airport talking to about half dozen fans very polite, signed things just real professional and appreciative where a couple of kids there he even got out a reds tshirts from his suitcase signed them gave to to them was giving kids advice about working hard, listen to your parents and coaches so forth (this was years after he retired don't think kids knew him but the dads where excited)

You don't get to lead The Baseball Bunch if you're not great with kids.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
quote:

The all time Chuck Knoblauch story was of a 16 year old kid wanting an autograph outside the team hotel on a road trip in Seattle. Chuck twice refused and the kid yelled "you suck!" in return. Chuck then grabbed the kid by the shirt collar, tearing it in the process, backed him up against a concrete pillar, and asked in a very angry and intimidating tone why the kid wanted his autograph if he sucked. The kid went too far with the "you suck" comment. Knoblauch is under no obligation to sign anything and many players avoid signing anything outside the hotel because that's where collectors, often using kids as fronts, attempt to get memorabilia signed for immediate sale. However, Chuck was even more out of line by manhandling a 16 year old who posed him absolutely no physical danger at all.

He also treated rank and file front office and baseball staff members, as opposed to people like the Twins' president and GM, very poorly as well. When he was traded ahead of the 1998 season, plenty of people over there were in a celebratory mood. The general feeling over there was Chuck's first wife, who is also his first ex wife, messed up his head in many ways as far as overblowing his ego and sense of self importance as well as engineering his trade demand one year after he'd signed a large contract extension. Supposedly he's calmed down a lot since then.

Chuck was at a charity event that a friend of mine was at with her son. I believe it was a golf tournament. It was raining at the time, so everyone was moved inside while the rain passed. My friend's son, probably 10 at the time, asked Chuck for an autograph. He said no, and when the boy asked why, he said "Because I don't feel like it." The guy was just a piece of garbage. He was supposed to be inducted into the Twins ring of honor a few years back, until he got arrested for beating up his wife or girlfriend, and the ceremony was cancelled.

Minnesota sports fans are terribly provincial - a local radio host started calling us "rubes" and the name has stuck for years. Sometimes fans will cheer players who have gone on to other teams, and sometimes they'll boo, but there has never been before or since, the level of vitriol as there was when Knoblauch returned as a Yankee, playing left field (I think his throwing yips at 2B had started around then.). The Twins were awful that year, and the fans went full Philadelphia on Chuck. Batteries and trash were thrown at him, as well as a lot of hot dogs, as it was dollar hot dog night that night. The game had to be stopped both to clean up the mess, and for Knoblauch's safety. Then-manager Tom Kelly had to come out and put his arm around Chuck and calm the fans down.

The best part, was the late PA announcer Bob Casey, who was kind of a character in his own right, coming on and saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, now QUIT IT."
When in reality, it was a meaningless game in April or May between the Yankees and a Twins squad that was going nowhere.

My friends and I just decided to go that night for the cheap hot dogs, but we got dinner and a show...

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Knight:

-

Reggie Bars!

Damn those were good.

--------------------

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
quote:

-

Reggie Bars!

Damn those were good.
 -
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
quote:

Chuck was at a charity event that a friend of mine was at with her son. I believe it was a golf tournament. It was raining at the time, so everyone was moved inside while the rain passed. My friend's son, probably 10 at the time, asked Chuck for an autograph. He said no, and when the boy asked why, he said "Because I don't feel like it." The guy was just a piece of garbage. He was supposed to be inducted into the Twins ring of honor a few years back, until he got arrested for beating up his wife or girlfriend, and the ceremony was cancelled.

Minnesota sports fans are terribly provincial - a local radio host started calling us "rubes" and the name has stuck for years. Sometimes fans will cheer players who have gone on to other teams, and sometimes they'll boo, but there has never been before or since, the level of vitriol as there was when Knoblauch returned as a Yankee, playing left field (I think his throwing yips at 2B had started around then.). The Twins were awful that year, and the fans went full Philadelphia on Chuck. Batteries and trash were thrown at him, as well as a lot of hot dogs, as it was dollar hot dog night that night. The game had to be stopped both to clean up the mess, and for Knoblauch's safety. Then-manager Tom Kelly had to come out and put his arm around Chuck and calm the fans down.

The best part, was the late PA announcer Bob Casey, who was kind of a character in his own right, coming on and saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, now QUIT IT."
When in reality, it was a meaningless game in April or May between the Yankees and a Twins squad that was going nowhere.

My friends and I just decided to go that night for the cheap hot dogs, but we got dinner and a show...

How a former Minnesota based player is treated by local fans after he leaves depends entirely on the manner in which he departs. If you are known as a jerk and demand a trade, and end up a Yankee to boot, then you're going to get booed out of the stadium as Chuck Knoblauch was. The Twins, wanting to put salary elsewhere and thinking his peak was ending, let Torii Hunter go as a free agent. The departure wasn't seen as Hunter's fault and he was complimentary of the Twins and Minnesotans. That enabled him to always get a warm welcome and he eventually came back for one last season as a Twin. Adrian Peterson lost more than a few people over the child abuse situation, but due to the nature of what was charged (corporal punishment gone too far) and his status in the team, he still had many fans. However, the end of his 2016 season, when he effectively quit on the Vikings, spoiled a lot of that good will. Now he's pretty unpopular and got a negative response from fans at US Bank Stadium when the Saints came in for week 1 although the boos were not unanimous.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

The Twins also had a guy who was by all accounts one of baseball's class acts and loved by the locals-- Kirby Puckett Twins fans loved Kirby

--------------------
n/a

Cone Stold
Member # 19963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cone Stold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying you sent a stranger, who was out enjoying a dinner with his companion, a glass of water and vinegar? First that seems hard to believe the staff would do that. Secondly that's kind of a d bag move don't you think. Especially on a post commenting which athletes are d bags to the fans. Seems odd but maybe that's just me.

Somewhat related to that I don't like when people are deliberately mean or arrogant to fans especially to kids. With that said sports fans as a whole feel so entitled. The fans pay good money to see athletes play. I have no problem with booing or cheering or chants or anything like that. However after the game is over athletes don't owe the fans anything. Sure it would be great if every athlete was cordial to fans but anything they owe to the fans is done when the game ends. Anything else is just extra.

Now if they are being paid for an appearance they should definitely be cordial to anyone showing them the same respect. Otherwise it's hard to knock someone who wants to be left alone after work. One of the last groups of people I'd want to hang around with right after work is a large group of sports fans. Sure some are fine but a lot of idiot fans out there.

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lorac55:

I agree, kind of low class move on the posters part. Makes me wonder if he might to be blame for some bad interactions with the players he talks about.
Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum GA:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
quote:

-

Reggie Bars!

Damn those were good.
 -
They were good and got a poster with them.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

quote:
The Twins also had a guy who was by all accounts one of baseball's class acts and loved by the locals-- Kirby Puckett Twins fans loved Kirby

He still is for the most part. His statue is outside Target Field.

Puckett did a lot of good in his short life. He was charitable, pretty great to fans, kids and teammates. He won the Branch Rickey award.

He was also a bad husband, who carried on an affair (or more than one most likely) for most of his marriage, and was accused (but acquitted) of sexual misconduct and assault charges.

I don't know what to think. He is my favorite ballplayer of all time, but certainly no saint in his private life. He's also dead now, so I can't judge him like I do say, Ray Lewis, who acts like he's all holier than thou, when he was likely implicit in a murder.

--------------------

dthcm
Member # 56183

quote:
Originally posted by stlbrodyfan:
quote:
Originally posted by lorac55:

I agree, kind of low class move on the posters part. Makes me wonder if he might to be blame for some bad interactions with the players he talks about.
What restaurant lets you do that?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations