WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Who controlled the NWA Women's World Title?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who controlled the NWA Women's World Title?
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the board control this title/belt (don't go bezerk, SWJ [Big Grin] ) ? I realize eventually the WWF bought it but I mean prior, dating back to Mildred Burke, up until it disappeared.

[ 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

IP: Logged
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Wolfe

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
Billy Wolfe

He died in the late 50's or early 60's as I recall, so who had control after that? Moolah?

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the NWA never had anything to do with any women's title. No such thing as an "NWA" women's title.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

The Coach
Member # 6392

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
No, the NWA never had anything to do with any women's title. No such thing as an "NWA" women's title.

So it was randomly billed as such in some places?

--------------------

Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thinking of June Byers. During a good part of her career, she was referred to as women's champion although I'm not sure of the exact wording. Just wondering who made the decision(s) as to the results of her matches and if she remained champion?
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF bought the rights from Moohlah.

The NWA allegedly sanctioned a Women's title in the late 80s. Debbie Combs became champion and claimed that then President Bob Geigel decreed her and mother Cora control of the title.

In 1996 Howard Brody became President and restructured the organization. All World titles were declared vacant with the exception of the heavyweight title and now fell under control of the Board of Directors. But Debbie had continued defending her title in various places (I think even wrestling for Dennis Coralluzzo's promotion) and at one point lost it to a man, promoting Brody to step in on behalf of the NWA to uphold the "integrity" of the name and a dispute arose concerning her rights to the "NWA" Women's championship.

To my knowledge the current NWA still recognize a Women's World title.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:

So it was randomly billed as such in some places?
In NWA territories, sure. There were no NWA titles though other than the NWA World heavyweight title, the NWA World junior heavyweight title, the NWA World light heavyweight title (mostly defended in Mexico and Los Angeles), and the early '60s version of the NWA U.S. title.

All the World tag titles, U.S. titles, National titles, North American titles, etc were just company belts that they occasionally threw the "NWA" name in front of.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

ckb_nc
Member # 71425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ckb_nc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread made me think about this in general - in what territories were women's wrestling even a feature. Mid-Atlantic rarely ever had it, and it seems Florida and Georgia the same. Watts seems the same too.

[ 07-17-2017, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: ckb_nc ]

The Coach
Member # 6392

quote:
Originally posted by ckb_nc:
This thread made me think about this in general - in what territories were women's wrestling even a feature. Mid-Atlantic rarely ever had it, and it seems Florida and Georgia the same. Watts seems the same too.

Never saw a lot of it in Georgia or Florida. I was always under the impression that they were constantly traveling like the midgets. Never heard of them working a territory per se. Even back in '04 and '05 when I was booking, we had a group of girls but we only brought them in every 6 weeks or so.

[ 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florida had mainstays (non-Moolah girls) like Bonnie Watson, Sherri Lee and Ella Waldek that worked pretty regularly.

[ 07-17-2017, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: diamondmd ]

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

uncle buck
Member # 64636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle buck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading that Stu Hart presented a WOMAN'S Championship match as the Main Event for one of his Calgary Stampede shows
browerpower
Member # 6773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for browerpower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Others may correct but Moolah didnt defend until the 70's in Toronto. Earlier "girls' matches were demonstrations/exhibitions not Matches. Gary Wills site is a good look at that When moolah did wrestle it was just billed as Woman's Title no NWA reference.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:

The NWA allegedly sanctioned a Women's title in the late 80s. Debbie Combs became champion and claimed that then President Bob Geigel decreed her and mother Cora control of the title.

In 1996 Howard Brody became President and restructured the organization. All World titles were declared vacant with the exception of the heavyweight title and now fell under control of the Board of Directors. But Debbie had continued defending her title in various places (I think even wrestling for Dennis Coralluzzo's promotion) and at one point lost it to a man, promoting Brody to step in on behalf of the NWA to uphold the "integrity" of the name and a dispute arose concerning her rights to the "NWA" Women's championship.

It's one of those deals where you're not really "buying" anything.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I believe Combs lost it to Beau James, who at that time was promoting with the NWA name in Virginia.
The Coach
Member # 6392

quote:
Originally posted by ZEKER:
quote:

I believe Combs lost it to Beau James, who at that time was promoting with the NWA name in Virginia.
Good lands!

--------------------

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always under the impression that Geigel did create the Combs title, for her to use in appearances for KC, and she took it with her when they closed up.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cora had her own version of the US title for 30 years and passed it down to Debbie. Probably same title just re-purposed.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie won a battle royal presented by Polynesian Pro (actually two, one in HI and one in CA as they did the repeat title change in a different city/state deal) to become champion. Supposedly several NWA dignitaries were on hand to give it legitimacy. Geigel then presented her with the belt in a in ring ceremony in Kansas City.

She continued defending it until Brody interjected after the Beau James situation and said that officially the NWA didn't recognize the title and basically threatened legal action if they continued promoting it.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Debbie won a battle royal presented by Polynesian Pro (actually two, one in HI and one in CA as they did the repeat title change in a different city/state deal) to become champion. Supposedly several NWA dignitaries were on hand to give it legitimacy. Geigel then presented her with the belt in a in ring ceremony in Kansas City.

She continued defending it until Brody interjected after the Beau James situation and said that officially the NWA didn't recognize the title and basically threatened legal action if they continued promoting it.

I have serious doubts it was an "officially sanctioned NWA title." Crockett held tournaments in Florida and Georgia for his World tag title too (while he was NWA prez) but it was never a real "NWA" title.

--------------------

SLS
Member # 265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who controlled the NWA U.S womens title i remember seeing kat leroux and misty blue simms as ladies champs.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SLS:
Who controlled the NWA U.S womens title i remember seeing kat leroux and misty blue simms as ladies champs.

I thought Misty was billed as the IWA (whatever that was) world champion. I know I say a picture in a non-Apter mag with her holding the belt.

I don't ever remember women wrestling in the AWA until Sherri Martel, Madusa and Wendi Richter in the mid-1980s.

Where did Moolah and her crew usually work? We're hearing a lot about what places they DIDN'T go, so where DID they go?

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

The Coach
Member # 6392

Now I am probably wrong and someone will point it out but I have never seen a St. Louis result involving women.

--------------------

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moolah worked a few St. Louis cards:

6/22/77 Fabulous Moolah defeated Susan Green

10/28/77 Fabulous Moolah defeated Vickie Williams

11/23/79 Fabulous Moolah defeated Winona Little Heart

2/8/80 Wendi Richter & Tom Andrews defeated Fabulous Moolah & Bulldog Bob Brown

10/3/80 Fabulous Moolah & Sandy Partlowe defeated Candy Malloy & Betty Torres

The Coach
Member # 6392

quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
Moolah worked a few St. Louis cards:

6/22/77 Fabulous Moolah defeated Susan Green

10/28/77 Fabulous Moolah defeated Vickie Williams

11/23/79 Fabulous Moolah defeated Winona Little Heart

2/8/80 Wendi Richter & Tom Andrews defeated Fabulous Moolah & Bulldog Bob Brown

10/3/80 Fabulous Moolah & Sandy Partlowe defeated Candy Malloy & Betty Torres

Dream team on the 2/8/80 card - Moolah and Bulldog Bob Brown!

--------------------

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:
quote:
Originally posted by SLS:

I thought Misty was billed as the IWA (whatever that was) world champion. I know I say a picture in a non-Apter mag with her holding the belt.

I don't ever remember women wrestling in the AWA until Sherri Martel, Madusa and Wendi Richter in the mid-1980s.

Where did Moolah and her crew usually work? We're hearing a lot about what places they DIDN'T go, so where DID they go?

Simms had the IWF Women's championship and the IWA and worked a lot with Kat Leroux and Linda Dallas. Crockett brought her in as the Women's Champion, for a brief period of time. The belt I recall looked like the same style, if not the actual belt, that she was pictured with when she worked the IWF and IWA.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations