WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: R.I.P. Bob Wolff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: R.I.P. Bob Wolff
IMD Huckster
Member # 1903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMD Huckster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iconic sports broadcaster Bob Wolff has passed at the age of 96. A member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, he called Don Larsen's perfect World Series game in 1956 as well as the legendary 1958 NFL championship game between the Baltimore Colts and NY Giants. He called games for the Knicks, the NY Rangers and was the first television voice of the Washington Senators. His career spanned eight decades, a career of quality AND quantity.

May he rest in peace.

--------------------
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

IP: Logged
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to learn of his passing. At a Reds-Cardinals' game on a Sunday in 1964, I got his autograph on a scorecard. He was there to do the game for NBC-TV. I also remember Bob sharing the radio play-by-play on NBC Radio of the 1961 World Series with Waite Hoyt. RIP.
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that both of the games that Bob Wolff's play-by-play are associated with - the Larsen perfect game and the 1958 NFL Title game - took place in Yankee Stadium and less than 27 months apart. Although those two events were seen and heard over multiple outlets, it is his voice that has been and continues to be heard in recordings of them. A nice tribute to a fine gentleman and excellent broadcaster.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Initially I thought this was about agent Bob Woolf and I was thinking "He passed years ago."

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations