WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » ot Jodie Whittaker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ot Jodie Whittaker
TylerStanMan
Member # 127142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TylerStanMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

is your next Doctor.

IP: Logged
Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good actor, but the franchise is dying (the last series had the lowest ratings since the reboot), so she is going to need to do one hell of a job to turn things round.
KobashiChop
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fine with a reboot and a woman. But a continuation and regen into a woman, I dunno. I never bought Missy being the Master. She was the Rani.

Ymmv

KobashiChop
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes it is dying fast.
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't really watched the modern series much (Eccleston's episodes, some of Tennant, none of Smith or Capaldi). The move is one that fans have discussed for some time and some of the actors suggested many years back. It will be interesting to see.

The lower ratings aren't necessarily a sign of imminent death, as much as the audience growing complacent and changing. It's been over ten years since the relaunch. A lot of big things happened, especially in the run up to the 50th anniversary. It would seem logical that viewership afterward might drop a bit, especially since Capaldi has been doing it for a while. the fan base is still rabid though, and worldwide. This will likely spark ratings. Whether it rejuvenates the creative ideas and sparks interesting stories will remain to be seen. It certainly opens up new possibilities.

I've watched on and off since the Baker era and it seems like the transition between Doctors is always filled with talk of the series dying and the new one not being as good as the last, until it starts turning into, hey these episodes have been pretty good and I like the new Doctor. Colin Baker got the worst of that, though he also got caught in the mess that was the creative slump of the production and political battles with the BBC. Sylvester McCoy got to experience the revival in quality stories, but the worsening of the behind-the-scenes fights with the BBC which killed the original run.

Time will tell if this is a last hurrah or a rejuvenation.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its an interesting casting choice. As with every lead change in Doctor Who I take the wait and see approach. Casting Matt Smith was going to kill the show because he was too young. I really don't think a majority of the fans want a female doctor, but who knows it might work. If you wanted a female timelord/time lady they should reintroduce Romana.

Of course in the last episode Stephen Moffat wrote himself into one of the worst story dead ends I've ever seen. Who knows maybe this will actually turn out to be Romana or Susan and the actual Doctor died.

But the new series has become stale, not the fault of Peter Capaldi but there are only so many Doctor Who stories you can tell, and in my opinion is ready for another hiatus for a few years.

[ 07-16-2017, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Rod Trongard's Hair ]

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a new show runner coming in, as well. That should help with the creative spark. Moffat, who takes a ton of unjustified heat, has burned out, at last. But he was brilliant for a time.

We'll see if the new guy, and gal, can inject some life into the franchise.

I wouldn't bet against it.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that showed up on my FB feed this a.m. pretty much sums it up, so far as I'm concerned:

-

That said, I was sort of hoping for Ben Whishaw to make the cut; just something about that face that makes me think "The Doctor"....*shrug*...

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This last season Capaldi did his best job. I didn't like him at first, and I never thought he and Clara jelled. I thought he did much better with Bill.
To me Tennant was the best of the reboot doctors with Matt Smith a close second.

I kind of had a feeling they were going with a woman this time, but I had hopes that Helena Bonham Carter would have been up for the role. I just don't know anything about this actress other than she worked on Broadchurch, which I didn't watch.

I don't know about the ratings, however, it seems that they sort of got away from the traveling doctor. He spent much of his time on earth and not getting out there to other planets and such. If the viewership was down, then maybe the people got tired of seeing Capaldi be a grouch his first year. The series hasn't been any fun for awhile. I think they've lost that. Hopefully it will change.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

Back pops
Member # 117351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Back pops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they have to stop writing for the super fans. Moffat was guilty of disappearing up his fundament. Great dr who writer but it all got too complicated on his watch.
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the storylines were better with Russell Davies.

--------------------

Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were more soap opera-ish under Russell Davies, but he can produce a story with a beginning, middle and end.

Moffat gives a great buildup, but then writes himself into a corner and you end up with an ending out of left field, like in the last episode where Bill's alien possessed lesbian lover comes up out of the puddle and somehow they are back in the Tardis. Even my 11-year old daughter was smacking her head saying "are you kidding??"

And too much fan service.

[ 07-17-2017, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Rod Trongard's Hair ]

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

WahooFan
Member # 2026

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Trongard's Hair:
They were more soap opera-ish under Russell Davies, but he can produce a story with a beginning, middle and end.

Moffat gives a great buildup, but then writes himself into a corner and you end up with an ending out of left field, like in the last episode where Bill's alien possessed lesbian lover comes up out of the puddle and somehow they are back in the Tardis. Even my 11-year old daughter was smacking her head saying "are you kidding??"

And too much fan service.

I totally agree. And how exactly is the Doctor supposed to stop the regeneration process for as long as he's doing it? The best part of the last show was the interaction between the two Masters. It's a pity that Missy won't be back, but you never know.

--------------------

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travlr:
Something that showed up on my FB feed this a.m. pretty much sums it up, so far as I'm concerned:

-

That said, I was sort of hoping for Ben Whishaw to make the cut; just something about that face that makes me think "The Doctor"....*shrug*...

I actually saw someone on Facebook, a woman no less, try to claim that Katee Sackhoff's Starbuck was a different character than Dirk Bennedict's Starbuck, and therefore it doesn't count as a gender change.

I didn't bother bringing up Grace Park as Boomer.

[ 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: chgowolvs44 ]

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

ukfan01
Member # 127187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukfan01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missy can come back in much the same way River Song could, non-sequential timelines. An extra perk of time travel.
Bolo Punch
Member # 4022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bolo Punch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A confrontation between Missy and a female Dr. could be quite interesting.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations