WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Looking back at Von Erich-Freebird feud and Ric Flair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking back at Von Erich-Freebird feud and Ric Flair
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rewatched the Heroes of World Class documentary. That angle was so well done. To me, speaking from my own perspective, it has always gotten lost just how prevalent Flair was in it. Just never gave it much thought. Wonder how it might have played out, had he not been available .

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair was the catalyst for reviving Dallas. If not for the Flair feud (and that cage match with the Freebird heel turn), the whole thing doesn't ignite. No disrespect to Harley but he wasn't the piece to the Von Erich puzzle that sparked a turnaround. The chemistry between Flair and the boys was off the charts.
KobashiChop
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The VE boys chase for title was key. Flair enhanced that more so than Race but the overall angle isn't near as good with the critically important chase for the title aspect. WCCW did a better job than most promotions building meaningful angles around the NWA title chase. It really was central to the promotion in those days.
Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also meaning no disrespect to Race but Flair had that persona,the complete opposite of how the VE boys were marketed.His promos were fantastic and built heat a level or two above what Race could do,imo.Plus by this point Flair's work was way ahead of Harley's as far as pinballing around for the boys,he was the perfect compliment to them.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in many ways, what Flair did with the Von Erich boys was similar to what he did with Steamboat from 1977 to 1979.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair was a lot of things ("The NWAs version of Superstar Billy Graham"..."THE ring general")...among those was his huge contrast with white meat babyfaces. Why? Because it was real...the background...the posh playboy lifestyle and all.

Thankfully the Von Erich boys were a bit younger than Flair with wholesome Christian values...and there were THREE of them plus patriarch Fritz to add to the storylines.

The poster who said WCCW booked the chase great is dead on!

Yet looking back when Flair had that break from summer to fall of '83 and Harley took over...I don't know if business dropped (I doubt that) but I didn't mind the short shift. This rivalry should've lasted until the late 80s but David's death started a quick and downward spiral that killed the momentum train.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

KobashiChop
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Harley defending the title in Dallas against one of them, saying "those were Flair's stipulations" shortly after he won the belt. It was a no DQ or something.... it really made it seem real that the title changed hands and the new champ picked up the old champ's commitments. Those little details......
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harley and Ice Man had a helluva bout that was shown on TV. I remember actually thinking Ice Man was gonna pull it off. What a mark, I was!

[ 07-16-2017, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KobashiChop:
I remember Harley defending the title in Dallas against one of them, saying "those were Flair's stipulations" shortly after he won the belt. It was a no DQ or something.... it really made it seem real that the title changed hands and the new champ picked up the old champ's commitments. Those little details......

I think Kevin was the one who got the shot at Race and it really had no where near the heat of Kerry vs. Flair.
ckb_nc
Member # 71425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ckb_nc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair was instrumental in this feud and in Mid-South too. Willing and enabling the chase for the title to be used to generate regional heat - in both cases top of the card heat. Irony is in each case, it made the chase for the NWA title less of focal point for the territory. But Flair has a role in each, and his persona really helped versus Race's.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations