WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: Star Trek Discovery: 15 Biggest Differences From The Other Trek Series

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Star Trek Discovery: 15 Biggest Differences From The Other Trek Series
Golem
Member # 21242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kieron Moore
Screen Rant
July 13, 2017
quote:
Star Trek may be one of the longest running science fiction franchises out there, with its fantastic tales of starships exploring the far reaches of the galaxy having engaged movie and television viewers since 1966, but it’s been off our TV screens for a long while now – twelve years, to be precise. That will soon change, as this September sees the premiere of Star Trek: Discovery, an ambitious new show set within the universe of the Federation – yes, the actual one, not the parallel universe from those lens flaring, CGI-heavy movies.

But despite being set in the same universe as the classic adventures of the Voyager and the various incarnations of the Enterprise, Discovery will be a very new take on Star Trek, with some big differences between it and the series that have come before. Some of these changes are inevitable, given the major shifts in how TV is made that have occurred since Enterprise finished its run in 2005. Other changes are more surprising and concern the characters and alien races we’ll meet.

So whether you’re a Trek purist and need to prepare yourself for any shocks, or a more easygoing viewer excited to see this new take on the franchise, here are fifteen of the things that will not be the same when the Discovery takes flight…

More
IP: Logged
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope it's more like the wonderful DS9 than it is like the woeful Voyager.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Golem
Member # 21242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
Let's hope it's more like the wonderful DS9 than it is like the woeful Voyager.

I agree with you that DS9 was the best sequel series and Voyager was the worst.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't a DS9 fan. Voyager was actually my favorite incarnation.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, why did you like Voyager and what was it you didn't like about DS9?

For me, Voyager fell down because of the characters, you just didn't empathise with them as most of them were so unlikeable - Janeway, Paris, Kim, Neelix, who cared what happened to them as they were all so annoying and obnoxious. For me, 7of9 was the about the only compelling character. They had one good storyline with Kes then killed her off.

DS9 was the opposite - what made it so great was the characters, how well fleshed out they were and how compelling they were.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Voyager too. I liked Janeway, the Dr., Tuvok, Chakotay and I liked many of the stories.
"Enterprise" was the only one that just seemed so bland and ..ugh. I couldn't get into that one.

Grobbit
Member # 80932

I forgot about the Dr, he was one of the best things about Voyager.

I agree about Enterprise being bland, it had a lot of potential early on but failed to ultimately deliver.

--------------------

bitplayer
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bitplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Interesting, why did you like Voyager and what was it you didn't like about DS9?

For me, Voyager fell down because of the characters, you just didn't empathise with them as most of them were so unlikeable - Janeway, Paris, Kim, Neelix, who cared what happened to them as they were all so annoying and obnoxious. For me, 7of9 was the about the only compelling character. They had one good storyline with Kes then killed her off.

DS9 was the opposite - what made it so great was the characters, how well fleshed out they were and how compelling they were.

Ds9 was the best. They fumbled the ending a bit but it was a really good show. They actually got to act like humans.

--------------------
"Just when you think you have all the answers, we go and change all the questions," Four Horsemen

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

For me, Voyager fell down because of the characters, you just didn't empathise with them as most of them were so unlikeable -

If I shied away from "unlikable characters," I would've stopped posting at this sh*it hole years ago.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest complaint with ST:V was the misuse of Chakotay. Here was the supposed "greatest Star Fleet Tactician since Kirk", and he was woefully underused and/or appreciated. Janeway was fine -- I've served with CO's very similar to her -- and I thought "The Doctor" was done well over the course of the series. But the rest of them....just couldn't get interested enough in any of them -- especially Paris after the big lead-up for him in the promos and marketing -- that I just didn't want to watch it.

DS9 was excellent, and ST:TNG have many things going for it. But "Voyager" and "Enterprise".....?

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Paris and Kim were both so annoying I wanted them to die every week. Janeway was almost as bad. Chakotay never seemed tough enough to be a rebel leader or even a starfleet officer, but he wasn't annoying like the others.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations