WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Wrestling on the radio

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wrestling on the radio
1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Louisville radio listings, from 1940, was posted on FB today. I had heard oldtimers say they had listened to wrestling matches on the radio. Lo and behold, these listings show wrestling being broadcast. No clue as to whether this was a local show or a network show.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1411294205652055&set=gm.1519404534764514&type=3&theater

This is probably of interest to oldtime radio fans.

IP: Logged
Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrestling on the radio was a big deal that has largely been forgotten about today.

In New Zealand the major matches were broadcast, and those with short wave radios could tune in to wrestling broadcasts from Australia and the United States.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listening to Jack Dempsy boxing fights was huge for radio.

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember stumbling on to a radio wrestling show in the early seventies. One of the commentators was a lady wrestler who got involved in a match at some point. I have no idea where the broadcast originated from. At this point I was only familiar with guys in the Fuller and Gulas-Welch promotions, and none of them were on the show.
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the beautiful things about radio at night - particularly some years back - was you might pick up a station that was hundreds of miles away. It could be added to if that station was broadcasting an event from a great distance away. I think of this when I remember my father and I listening to one of the Rocky Marciano-Ezzard Charles fights. I'm sure it was available on a local station, but for some reason we were tuned to one in Toronto, Canada. I can still remember hearing the station ID's during the fight coverage.
Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day All,

The first wrestling match broadcast on radio in Australia took place on Saturday 21 March 1925.

In that bout Walter Miller defeated Al Karasick on a points decision at the West Melbourne Stadium.

The commentator was Norman McCance and the radio station was 3LO in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

McCance, who was a newspaper journalist, also released a booklet in 1927 entitled "Wrestling Holds Illustrated And Wrestling Records" to serve as an accompaniment to his broadcasts of the matches.

Cheers!

Ed

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations