WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Results: WrestleFest '91 St. Louis, MO 7/14/91

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Results: WrestleFest '91 St. Louis, MO 7/14/91
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of The History of WWE

From Busch Stadium (19,000 - 14,500 paid)

- Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts, Road Warrior Hawk, and WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect were all no shows; Piper was in Los Angeles filming a movie while the other three were injured; a match between Bret Hart and Ricky Steamboat was scheduled but the card was changed due to the no shows

1) Col. Mustafa pinned Jimmy Snuka (sub. for Hacksaw Jim Duggan)

2) Ricky Steamboat pinned Pat Tanaka

3) Kerry Von Erich fought the Warlord to a double count-out

4) Bret Hart & Virgil defeated Ted Dibiase & IRS when Hart pinned Dibiase

5) Davey Boy Smith defeated Typhoon (sub. for WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect) via count-out

6) The Big Bossman & Road Warrior Animal defeated the Mountie & WWF Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys in a handicap match; the bout was to have been a six-man tag but Road Warrior Hawk was injured

7) Hacksaw Jim Duggan (sub. for Jake Roberts) (w/ Andre the Giant) pinned Earthquake

8) The Ultimate Warrior defeated the Undertaker in a casket match

9) WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned Sgt. Slaughter after guest referee Randy Savage came off the top onto the challenger as Hogan was caught in the Camel Clutch, moments after Slaughter threw Savage to the floor and Gen. Adnan threw powder in Hogan's face; after the bout, Hogan and Savage celebrated in the ring together

IP: Logged
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfect, Hawk and Jake....in 91...no shows? S ounds suspicious.
Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfect was injured at the time (back injury).

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ogilvie:
Perfect was injured at the time (back injury).

That's the same back injury he had at SummerSlam and then kept him out for a while afterwards. Back injuries can linger and are NOTHING to take lightly.
BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the low turnout, or all the no-shows (or a combination of both) that caused this to not be released as a Coliseum Video special as was likely the plan?

Highest price ticket is 15 bucks.....can't even get nosebleed seats for that nowadays.

Bee Dot
Member # 62107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bee Dot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, is a guy really a "no show" if he had a known injury and could not perform?

--------------------
I stumbled over an old Coliseum Home Video clamshell box and landed on my external occipital protuberance.

Standing Room Only, Hanging from the rafters!

Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steamboat/Hart would have been fun, they had a heck of match in Boston in 86.

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

baptistbusman
Member # 72962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baptistbusman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This show sucked! I was 15 and talked my poor mama into taking me. Had seats on the fooor that we had to turn our heads all the way to our left to see the ring. I still feel guilty to this day for doing that to my mom. I had even took a camera and was trying to get a picture of Ricky Steamboat from our crappy position and a security guard came and asked me for my batteries. Couldn't get a good pic anyway. It was my last wrestling show.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF in 91 was utterly horrible and this card looks like a prime example of how horrible it was.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES
Member # 3568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sat in the upper deck and saw this show. It was pretty disappointing because of the no shows and card changes. Also they didn't have the matches on the stadium screen so it was hard to see much.

--------------------
now you know.. and knowings half the battle... GI Joe

U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES
Member # 3568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sat in the upper deck and saw this show. It was pretty disappointing because of the no shows and card changes. Also they didn't have the matches on the stadium screen so it was hard to see much.

--------------------
now you know.. and knowings half the battle... GI Joe

Jamie from Charm City
Member # 126445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie from Charm City   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it really have been so hard to put Kerry Von Erich over the Warlord via claw & discuss punch instead of a worthless double count out??
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:
Was it the low turnout, or all the no-shows (or a combination of both) that caused this to not be released as a Coliseum Video special as was likely the plan?

Highest price ticket is 15 bucks.....can't even get nosebleed seats for that nowadays.

A crowd of 19,000 for a stadium show in 1991 was considered fine. The ring was positioned in the baseball infield and thousands of distant seats were never on sale. Wrestlemania has changed how we look at stadium shows. Now you aim to fill the house and if 60,000 turn up to a 70,000 seat facility people call it a failure. Up to WM3 and for some time afterwards most stadium shows were expected to draw in the 15,000 to 25,000 range. As for TV, you'd think the WWF wouldn't let a stadium show go by with no cameras, but no video has ever surfaced, so I'm guessing it wasn't taped. Even with 19,000 fans, you can put the hard camera at second base or so and shoot the crowd in the baseball infield stands and make it seem much bigger.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet Steamboat vs Tanaka was the best match of the night. Steamboat was ripping it up curtain jerking with Haku in this time frame.
Bee Dot
Member # 62107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bee Dot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coliseum Video released a "Wrestlefest '91" Compilation tape, but none of the matches from this event were on there.

--------------------
I stumbled over an old Coliseum Home Video clamshell box and landed on my external occipital protuberance.

Standing Room Only, Hanging from the rafters!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations