WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Some footage from McGuirk Championship Wrestling 1976

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some footage from McGuirk Championship Wrestling 1976
Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I came across about a minute and a half of Leroy McGuirk and Bill Watts Championship Wrestling from 1976. Dick Murdoch confronts Ken Patera and Reisor Bowden rocks some sick white kicks. 😀

In the quick clip at the end, I recognize Kox, Patera and Rotten Ron Starr, but who is the guy sitting to Reisor's right?

https://youtu.be/neU6QCyoCG0

IP: Logged
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Sweetan?
Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think that's Sweetan. Looks familiar but I can't tell.

Cool footage, though. Pristine. Hope more turns up.

[ 07-13-2017, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Prefrontal-Lowblow ]

Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I keep hoping for. I tend to think it's not Sweetan either. But he was in the feud as Kox's partner for awhile so I can't say it isn't.
Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, really hard to tell. The glasses look like his but the hair doesn't. He very well may not have had the curly perm in 76.

And if you're pretty sure he was in at that time and teaming with Kox, it may be him.

Surely someone here will know for positive.

[ 07-13-2017, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Prefrontal-Lowblow ]

okstampede
Member # 10203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okstampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is Sweetan on the left. He was Kox's tag partner at the time. They along with Patera were part of Buck Robley's Army.

I heard about this angle, but missed it when it aired. 41 years later; now I see it.

I'm curious who's on commentary with Bill Watts. Obviously not Boyd Pierce. And I assume Lee Mars was long gone by then.

--------------------
"These matches are sanctioned by the NWA, the National Wrestling Alliance. Wherever you see that banner, you know you're seeing the finest in professional wrestling."

"Nothing I hate more than a dog that sucks eggs."

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, Patera looked like a million bucks.
Jonbek1
Member # 4726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonbek1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This first appeared a couple of months ago on an Arkansas Television Archives site. The person who posted it said they had received it from someone who had worked at McGuirk's Little Rock affiliate - KARK. The person had copied this clip at the station.

As others have said, it is Sweetan along with others in Robley's army.

Boyd was the host at this time, but the person taking them to break is not Boyd's voice. I don't think it is Reesor either. At one point when Watts is reacting, another person says, 'Whoa' which sounds like Boyd.

The crowd really is into Murdoch and seeing Patera get it. McGuirk/Watts had some great TV shows in '76. I had not thought about this clip in years until seeing it a couple of months ago.

--------------------
"All you people out there in TV land get on your phones and call somebody. You tell them that the 'Big Cat' Ernie Ladd is coming to town." Ernie Ladd, MidSouth Wrestling 1980-82.

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick was just taking the trash (Patera) out.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't realize Kenny went blond before his WWWF stint.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that angle was ECW hardcore two decades before there was such a thing.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

heffer.2
Member # 25451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heffer.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:

Yup,and I believe first run as a heel too (afer being an AWA midcard face).
djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man that was pretty good

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by heffer.2:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:

Yup,and I believe first run as a heel too (afer being an AWA midcard face).
He was in JCP from February 1975 to February 1976, working pretty high on the card as a babyface against the likes of Flair and Mulligan. Was well-received and actually wound up buying a house in Charlotte and would show up on JCP cards around holidays and such even while working Tulsa and the WWWF.

Came back full-time to JCP in the spring of 1978 (still with the blond hair), first as a babyface, before turning on Ricky Steamboat & Paul Jones in a TV match against Ric Flair, Greg Valentine, and Cyclone Negro. He kept the blond hair until he finished out his WWWF dates, then went back to the brown hair. Hung around until November of 1979. He started back on WWF TV at that point as a blond again (but for whatever reason, would quickly dye it brown again before making his Crockett dates). Was weird. Maybe George Scott felt his hair was too similar to Flair's?

Patera made three JCP shots in 1981 and that was the last we saw of him.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations