WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: If I win the lottery, I will buy... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: If I win the lottery, I will buy...
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WahooFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
You don't have to take the lump sum. And in fact, if you've got a good 20 - 30 years left or you want to leave something to a kid. It's much wiser to take the annuity payments.

Except you don't actually know if that money will still be around for those annuity payments, so it's always smarter to take the lump sum and invest it wisely.
By no means am I a CPA or anything like that, but I think there's something called The time value of money (or something like that) in which you're probably better taking the lump sum and investing it.
Being in the insurance industry, I would buy immediate annuities for my son and family members. They'd get monthly payouts for the rest of their life. It would be enough for them to live without working, but not much else. I'd still want my son to work. With an immediate annuity, if I'm the owner they can't access the full amount so they wouldn't be able to blow it. Plus, annuities are generally safe from lawsuits.
Buy a house at the beach, near a golf course, and quietly fade into obscurity.

It would be tempting to buy or start a wrestling promotion, but I wouldn't do it. I don't think anyone has the patience to look very long term with something like that. It seems like everyone wants to try to go national and compete with Vince within a few years. I'm thinking along the lines of around 15 to 20 years slowly building the brand.

There are pluses and minuses to investing it yourself. However historically the majority of lottery winners do take the lump sum, and historically the majority (70%) of them go broke.

The likelihood of that money still being available to you in 20 years, is as likely or more likely then if you tuck it away into some sort of savings or annuity.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

IP: Logged
mrslinky
Member # 122285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrslinky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A radio station, a bar, three houses in different parts of the country, and a promotion. I'd start my own.
awafan
Member # 63901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awafan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would give a million dollars to each sibling cousin, aunt, uncle, etc. just to see who ends up broke first.
sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would contribute to AA. And then I would by a house with a walkout basement and a theatre room and buy some more 70's-80's arcade games. The rest would be invested because I don't want to be on TLC as part of the 70% who lost everything. And once in a while I would try to get PWG tickets and attend some shows. Meltzer makes this promotion sound so amazing it would have to be my wrestling fix if I had time and money.

[ 07-18-2017, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL ]

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WahooFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
You don't have to take the lump sum. And in fact, if you've got a good 20 - 30 years left or you want to leave something to a kid. It's much wiser to take the annuity payments.

Except you don't actually know if that money will still be around for those annuity payments, so it's always smarter to take the lump sum and invest it wisely.
By no means am I a CPA or anything like that, but I think there's something called The time value of money (or something like that) in which you're probably better taking the lump sum and investing it.
Being in the insurance industry, I would buy immediate annuities for my son and family members. They'd get monthly payouts for the rest of their life. It would be enough for them to live without working, but not much else. I'd still want my son to work. With an immediate annuity, if I'm the owner they can't access the full amount so they wouldn't be able to blow it. Plus, annuities are generally safe from lawsuits.
Buy a house at the beach, near a golf course, and quietly fade into obscurity.

It would be tempting to buy or start a wrestling promotion, but I wouldn't do it. I don't think anyone has the patience to look very long term with something like that. It seems like everyone wants to try to go national and compete with Vince within a few years. I'm thinking along the lines of around 15 to 20 years slowly building the brand.

In 2008 remember the AIG failure? Largest annuity writer. IMHO stay the **** away from annuities. With marginal research you can build similar.

$22m?

Ladder $5m CD's put it into an LLC and plan to live off the interest when you blow everything else. - today it would pay out about $125k and you will always have $5m. Safe as safe can be.

Invest $5m in a charitable trust of stocks- likely non revocable. Annual write off vehicle.

You got $12m to play with. Go hard for 6-12 months doing whatever, donate (more) share, blow. At 6 months recalculate monthly living expenses now and adjust investment strategy to support.

At 12 months budget for vices for the foreseeable future or dump toys to pay for vices.

A week in Bali runs $45k with everything you could want. But in a month you want off, paradise is only paradise in limited doses.

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Come look me up in person. Anytime.

That didn't work as planned and I even offered to buy the beer.

Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would buy a new home.

I would take care of a few people.

I would give Brawler custom Tojo and Russo fatheads.

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations