WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: If I win the lottery, I will buy... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: If I win the lottery, I will buy...
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say you play the lottery. Whatever one, Mega Millions, Powerball or whatever your state government offers. Let's say you win said lottery. What is the one BIG purchase you will make. Let's keep it to just wrestling promotions, sports teams or legal entities such as stores or corporations. Also let's be realistic on the amount won as possible. I don't think I've ever seen a billion dollar lottery so let's keep it to say $500-750 million at most.

If I won the lottery, I will buy TNIMPACTGFW just to rename it something else. (joke)

If I won the lottery though, I would try to buy Ring of Honor. I doubt I would have enough money as Sinclair is worth billions but I do wonder if their asking price would be in the low millions.

So what say you, what new team/company/promotion would you take your newly found millions and bleed into?

IP: Logged
Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will invest in technology to return the world to 1978; when wrestling was good and I can tell Callaghan to have an election, because winter is not going to be good! (a comment for the Brits).
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A space ark to look for a inhabitable planet.
PCmor
Member # 7229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PCmor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would pay college tuition for a couple of young people I know, so when they get out of school and into the real world, they wouldn't have to spend years paying off their debts.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PCmor:
I would pay college tuition for a couple of young people I know, so when they get out of school and into the real world, they wouldn't have to spend years paying off their debts.

A sensible and kind thing to do.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO [Big Grin]

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never get on the internet the rest of my life

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

dthcm
Member # 56183

quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:

Not even on Bad Joke Monday or to find out what Tojo is up to? And you'll have to get the George Gulas newsletter by snail mail.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:

If I won the lottery though, I would try to buy Ring of Honor...wonder if their asking price would be in the low millions.

No.
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
quote:

Not even on Bad Joke Monday or to find out what Tojo is up to? And you'll have to get the George Gulas newsletter by snail mail.
diamondmd will pm about the latest on Tojo, i will buy all the bad joke books ever written,and the best of GG dvd will run 24/7 on my 50 foot screen tv inside my new double wide

--------------------

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd make sure everyone I care about was straight as far as living arrangements and vehicles,pay off their houses,student loans,etc.Of course,you never know what you'd do with a pile of loot till it's dumped on your lap but how could I be well off and be happy if the people I care about are struggling,ya know?I would definitely travel alot to watch Wrestling and Patriots and Sox away games.Take a trip to Japan and follow a full G1 tour.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
Let's say you play the lottery. Whatever one, Mega Millions, Powerball or whatever your state government offers. Let's say you win said lottery. What is the one BIG purchase you will make. Let's keep it to just wrestling promotions, sports teams or legal entities such as stores or corporations. Also let's be realistic on the amount won as possible. I don't think I've ever seen a billion dollar lottery so let's keep it to say $500-750 million at most.

If I won the lottery, I will buy TNIMPACTGFW just to rename it something else. (joke)

If I won the lottery though, I would try to buy Ring of Honor. I doubt I would have enough money as Sinclair is worth billions but I do wonder if their asking price would be in the low millions.

So what say you, what new team/company/promotion would you take your newly found millions and bleed into?

Jan 2016 there was a $1.6 billion dollar Powerball jackpot, split between three winners. Even a sole winner would have gotten less than that (lump sum, with taxes); but, that was the final jackpot amount.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to take the lump sum. And in fact, if you've got a good 20 - 30 years left or you want to leave something to a kid. It's much wiser to take the annuity payments. The three winners, if they took the payments would be getting about $22 million a year (before taxes) for 25 years.

IF I were to win a jackpot like that I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a promotion, they can be a lot of work. If I did do something it would be to help fund a small regional promotion where I could help develop young upcoming wrestlers. Give them a professional outlet to grown. Invest enough to at least break even, and give a place where some of my friends who know what they are doing a good paying position.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

Dissin' Terry Funk
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dissin' Terry Funk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna have my '08 Impala painted a different color....I'm tired of white.....
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give it to charity.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd mail my keys into worl and start a whole new life in the coast.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

King Diamond Fan
Member # 128663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Diamond Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would give half of my take after taxes to reputable charities. I would then buy a large property in Colorado and take in sick, abused, and neglected animals. I would also become active in animal activism and volunteer with various organizations. Of course I would frequent the dispensaries as well.

[ 07-14-2017, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: King Diamond Fan ]

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd set out to prove that all those people that have said "Money can't buy happiness" was wrong.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd move to a big house on the big side of town.
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd buy you a monkey

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
You don't have to take the lump sum. And in fact, if you've got a good 20 - 30 years left or you want to leave something to a kid. It's much wiser to take the annuity payments.

Except you don't actually know if that money will still be around for those annuity payments, so it's always smarter to take the lump sum and invest it wisely.
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:
You don't have to take the lump sum. And in fact, if you've got a good 20 - 30 years left or you want to leave something to a kid. It's much wiser to take the annuity payments.

Except you don't actually know if that money will still be around for those annuity payments, so it's always smarter to take the lump sum and invest it wisely.
By no means am I a CPA or anything like that, but I think there's something called The time value of money (or something like that) in which you're probably better taking the lump sum and investing it.
Being in the insurance industry, I would buy immediate annuities for my son and family members. They'd get monthly payouts for the rest of their life. It would be enough for them to live without working, but not much else. I'd still want my son to work. With an immediate annuity, if I'm the owner they can't access the full amount so they wouldn't be able to blow it. Plus, annuities are generally safe from lawsuits.
Buy a house at the beach, near a golf course, and quietly fade into obscurity.

It would be tempting to buy or start a wrestling promotion, but I wouldn't do it. I don't think anyone has the patience to look very long term with something like that. It seems like everyone wants to try to go national and compete with Vince within a few years. I'm thinking along the lines of around 15 to 20 years slowly building the brand.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

The Midnight Lurker
Member # 1084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Midnight Lurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two chicks at the same time.
steuben
Member # 126350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steuben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the beer and ***** that it takes to kill a 52 year old man yet keep a smile on my face while doing it
TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd pick up a few places in different cities like New York. Not sure if I'd stay in Hamilton although it would be cool to have enough money in a mid size city that would make a difference.
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
I'd buy you a monkey

You know I've always wanted a monkey.

I, on the other hand, would buy you a K car.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:

Yes, and money depreciates over time as well.
Path Of Rage
Member # 4918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Path Of Rage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midnight Lurker:

LOL! Awesome.
DC
Member # 263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midnight Lurker:

I don't think you need a million dollars for that.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
quote:

diamondmd will pm about the latest on Tojo, i will buy all the bad joke books ever written,and the best of GG dvd will run 24/7 on my 50 foot screen tv inside my new double wide
Well hell Cousin Gulas. If you hit the powerball and get that Jed Clampett money, you could hire the illustrious GG himself to be your very own Virgil. He could set there and do commentary just for you of all his matches, fix you a sammich, you couldn't beat that deal.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
quote:
I'd buy you a monkey

A nice reliant automoble!

Also Kraft dinner...

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

buy this site and let Tojo be in charge........remember I said was not gonna be on the net anymore [Big Grin]

--------------------

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty hot out these days. I'd start here.

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Berberovic:
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
quote:
I'd buy you a monkey

A nice reliant automoble!

Also Kraft dinner...

a fur coat.. not a real fur coat, thats cruel

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

The Average Malenko
Member # 3504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Average Malenko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things I'd buy:
The Hooters chain
Numerous profitable strip joints
An ownership percentage of both the Miami Dolphins & the New York Yankees
Thoroughbred race horses

[ 07-14-2017, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: The Average Malenko ]

James D from OH
Member # 3414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D from OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retire, move, pay off everything, fund my daughter's education and enjoy life.

--------------------
"Keep Fighting" - Heather D from OH 12/24/13.

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy this site and ban anyone who mentions George Gulas or Sir Tojo.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. $500,000,000? The rule around our house that if it ever happens, we take 10% and just blow it: Books, movies, records (maybe a new direct-drive turntable to go with them), sea cruise, month-long cross-country road-trip with all the fixin's, and so forth.

Of course, at that size of a win, we'd probably have to settle for 1% -- trying to waste $50million and get the spending desires out of our system might be a mite hard to do. But you can do a lot of silliness with $5million, right?

After that, though, then it's house renos and new car and make sure the parents and my girls and grandkids, and The Lady's brother and niece are looked after and all that important, serious stuff (and yes, that would include a number of charities).

There are undoubtedly some serious crazy things I might do with the excess -- buy the neighbour's property and expand the house, a motor yacht, that sort of thing -- but most of it would end up invested in some local businesses, RRSPs, and gifts to friends.

Kinda boring, I know. But that first 10% (or 1% in this case) would be a LOT of fun....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

I shop at One Stop
Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I shop at One Stop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big piece of land, somewhere, enough property for heavy equipment demolition derbies, a hedge maze, lots of greenhouses, tree-houses and geodesic domes, orchards, gardens, an airstrip, a small outdoor performance space, Calder moblies/stabiles and a meadery.

Oh, and an island somewhere equipped as a Doomsday Fortress of Solitude.

Edit: What the H, fireworks, lots of fireworks!

[ 07-14-2017, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: I shop at One Stop ]

--------------------
Where you buy it by the can or buy it by the case

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a SF/Fantasy/Horror specialty bookseller in upstate NY that is pretty much the gold standard for the genre, if he doesn't have it, chances are good that it doesn't exist... Anyway, you could drop my nigh-legendary collection into his stock and barely notice a ripple. So, first thing is pick up the phone and make the call: "Hello Lloyd, I want one of everything, please."

Oh, then I'd best get busy on the construction of my private library...

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy better toilet paper at work.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations