WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » RIP Buddy Wolf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP Buddy Wolf
Alfred Ticineto,
Member # 1855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alfred Ticineto,   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad to report the passing of Buddy Wolf at the age of 76. Buddy was a solid worker, and was part of the 1977 Ernie Ladd heal turn angle in Florida (Wolf snd Ivan Koloff vs. Ladd and Dusty Rhodes. Wolf was a very nice man, and I had the pleasure of sharing a great conversation with him at the CAC many years ago. Rest In Peace, Buddy,, and thanks for the memories,
IP: Logged
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a memorable angle that kicked off Bob Backlund's long babyface run in the old WWWF.
izzyslap1
Member # 126940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izzyslap1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May he Rest in Peace!

Bong!!

Izzy

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really good worker. I remember him mostly as the husband of Vivian Vachon, a feud I read about between him and Wahoo McDaniel and also a tag team partner of Larry Heiniemi. Sorry to hear of his passing.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP. Very underrated wrestler. Textbook scientific heel. btw for clarity it's 'Wolff'. I mention because there was another Les 'Wolfe' who was a wrestler and promoter in the South which has caused a lot of confusion over the years.

So long from the Sunshine State.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
Had a memorable angle that kicked off Bob Backlund's long babyface run in the old WWWF.

This program also was in Florida with a very young Backlund giving Wolff a strong challenge before losing, and then some time later just blowing him away.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
Really good worker. I remember him mostly as the husband of Vivian Vachon, a feud I read about between him and Wahoo McDaniel and also a tag team partner of Larry Heiniemi. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Close friends with Larry/Lars and they were partners in that Tummy Twister thing.

--------------------

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely underrated and under-utilized in the AWA after '76. He and Larry Heiniemi were rock solid and believable heels who were instrumental in making the High Flyers look good and really kick-starting that tag team. Wolff's exhibition against Muhammad Ali was by far the most entertaining wrestler-boxer encounter of the bunch. I have no doubt in my mind that he could've demolished Ali in a contest. He was a tough cookie.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Yeah that one TD he shot made you go hmm, didn't it?

--------------------

Paulie
Member # 124710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrusherBolo I have no doubt in my mind that he could've demolished Ali in a contest. He was a tough cookie. [/QB]
Buddy -- may he RIP -- was a great worker, but to say he could demolish Muhammad Ali in a real contest strains credulity at the very least. In fact it's preposterous. I'm sure you're ribbing though.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go whip Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather at the same time. While standing on one paw. With my tail tied behind my back.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

He's not ribbing. Wolff was a legit college wrestler and when he actually tried to take Ali down he did so effortlessly. It's at worst not preposterous. If a contest goes to the ground a boxer doesn't have much defense.

--------------------

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, he's a guy I heard of all my life but never got to see. Pretty sure he never worked Georgia and he wasnt in Florida while I lived there.

Anyone know why Lars went by his real name when teaming with Wolff?

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Anybody who can explain why Lars does anything deserves the Nobel Prize for Psychology.

[ 07-16-2017, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Buddy. In the early 70's, he tagged up Don Jardine as the Spoilers here in Tri-States. Very good in the ring as others have said.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Anybody who can explain why Lars does anything deserves the Nobel Prize for Psychology.

Dickie Steinborn, who is a true character in his own right, told me a few Lars stories that make you scratch your head.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

He actually posted some of them here. They were fighting with each other here for a little while.

--------------------

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The story for the fans in the AWA as to why "Lars Anderson" began using his real name when he teamed with Wolff was that he was a Finn and didn't want to be mistaken as a Swede anymore. I'm guessing since Heiniemi and Wolff were actually teammates at St. Cloud State, he probably just wanted to use his real name again.
Wolff and Heiniemi excelled at wrestling and football in college and in fact were close to Olympic caliber in wrestling.

Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Buddy Wolff

I saw him a few times in Omaha circa 1971-72. Always enjoyed his work and thought he was a very credible heel challenger to most face champs.

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

The Coach
Member # 6392

quote:
Originally posted by CrusherBolo:
The story for the fans in the AWA as to why "Lars Anderson" began using his real name when he teamed with Wolff was that he was a Finn and didn't want to be mistaken as a Swede anymore. I'm guessing since Heiniemi and Wolff were actually teammates at St. Cloud State, he probably just wanted to use his real name again.
Wolff and Heiniemi excelled at wrestling and football in college and in fact were close to Olympic caliber in wrestling.

I didn't see it obviously but that sure sounds lame.

--------------------

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by CrusherBolo:

I didn't see it obviously but that sure sounds lame.
It was very lame.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations