WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » PY Chu Hi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PY Chu Hi
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched some 1990 USWA last night. At the time, I thought PY Chu Hi was the worst thing ever. What was this ancient, obese white guy doing playing "an Oriental?" Time has a way of changing perspective. He wasn't that fat, he wasn't that old and he could still work his sizable posterior off. Where my young eyes just saw an old, fat man there was actually a really solid worker.

Still an awful gimmick though.

IP: Logged
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean he WAS NOT really oriental?

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:
You mean he WAS NOT really oriental?

What chew tawkin about? Don't let Tojo hear you!
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can still remember Dave Meltzer writing about it in the Observer. PY Chu Hi (old redneck Phil Hickerson).
I'm sure Dave would be a little more PC about it these days.
But still a stupid gimmick.
He kinda looked like Superstar Billy Graham.

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name came from Tojo Yamamoto's old ring name, PY Chung.

Chu-Hi is an alcoholic beverage made from fruit.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He only seems less obese now because people in general are so much fatter.
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dammit. Now I want to go watch some PY Chu Hi.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Double noggin knockers
Member # 33199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Double noggin knockers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along similar lines...I enjoyed Chris Champion's "Yoshi Kwan" run in WCW. If nothing else quite a transformation from his New Breed days. Both stints derailed by injury.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be telling me John Wayne isn't Mongolian next

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz Hunter's Boyfriend:

This. Today he'd be considered a cruiserweight in some parts of the South.
p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawler: "Everybody knows this is big fat Phil Hickerson from Jackson, Tennessee."
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Memphis they acknowledged that PY Chu Hi was really Phil Hickerson, but in Dallas they never went farther than Marc Lowrance questioning his background while never mentioning his real name.
Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In todays WWE he'd be world champ and wrestling with a baggy shirt on.

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Idol I:
In todays WWE he'd be world champ and wrestling with a baggy shirt on.

I think Prichard mentioned in one of his podcasts that Vince loved big men in spaghetti straps, like Viscera, so picture that however you want.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by p-man from MD:
Lawler: "Everybody knows this is big fat Phil Hickerson from Jackson, Tennessee."

Dissin' Terry Funk
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dissin' Terry Funk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky enough to do a morning radio show in Jackson, TN a few years ago and Hickerson was the co-host....Also, got to hang with him that evening at a songwriter's showcase sponsored by the station..... He is hilarious! The guy is absolutely a hoot!!
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz Hunter's Boyfriend:

There is truth to this.
Sac
Member # 3044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck yeah, PY Chu-Hi!

PY, Yoshi Kwan and Lord Tensai are some of my favorite "guilty pleasure" wrestlers.

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
quote:

I think this is 21, 22 months later from what I was watching. In the interim, it appears that Hickerson and Embry went to many an all you can eat buffet.
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:
quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
quote:

I think this is 21, 22 months later from what I was watching. In the interim, it appears that Hickerson and Embry went to many an all you can eat buffet.
And he's grown his hair and beard back. Being bald with the eye makeup made him look a bunch older. Kind of like how Harley's change to "blonde" in the WWF made him look 70, instead of 65.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations