WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Sell me on: Baron Von Raschke

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sell me on: Baron Von Raschke
MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admitted, my first exposure to the Baron was his run in JCP with the Russians, as Krusher Khruschev's replacement. Compared to those three and the Road Warriors, he seemed out-of-place and his "menacing" interviews just seemed goofy.

But the Baron was a hated heel before becoming a beloved figure in the AWA.

I later caught up on his work at a face in the closing days of the AWA, and it showed how over he was even then. His interview, where he held a baseball bat and said he was going to debut his new move, "The Louisville sleeper," was hilarious.

Did I miss his best years? What should I see?

He's always seemed like a great guy, but I caught him well past his prime. What did I miss? Why would I have loved him?

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you got an injustice seeing him at that point. Look for 70s and early 80s stuff. He was great!

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We hated him a lot in JCP when he first came in. First time I had ever seen the claw used. He was pretty scary at the time.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was great.

That is all the people need to know!

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He looked ancient, even when he was young. Just a weird looking guy. By all accounts, he's a super nice guy as well.

He was a champion amateur in Nebraska, which always made me wonder why nobody ever pointed out that he wasn't a menacing German. People had to know him.

I have an AWA TV squash on tape from 1985 or so. The Baron puts on an absolute wrestling clinic on the guy (Rocky Stone or someone like that). Watching it years later, it's pretty impressive what a good wrestler he really was, since it wasn't really part of his character.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, his best in-ring work was mid-1970s in the tag team with Horst Hoffman. Very menacing heel team. By the time he came back in the early 1980s, much like Mad Dog Vachon, the fans were ready to cheer him. His early 1980s AWA interviews are some of my favorites.
merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember him 1977s brief stint in WWWF. The dreaded red X was used on TV to hide the damage he did to one opponent.

He followed Waldo Von Erich who was physically more imposing. And he wore a cape very similar to Baron Miguel Sicluna (sp?).

I think both played to his effectiveness getting over...plus he looked to be 103.

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Come look me up in person. Anytime.

That didn't work as planned and I even offered to buy the beer.

Londo from MN
Member # 1945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londo from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't care either way, just an observation- but was The Baron one of the first wrassler's to use a 'catch phrase'? He's one of the first I remember using them in late '70's AWA land...
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an old thread. If I recall, the Baron won this contest.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=018723

I have one remaining AWA Remco figure that I didn't sell. It's the Baron, and it's on my desk at work right now.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great run in JCP the first time around from 1977-80. Multiple time NWA World tag and TV champ, and always in the main event mix. His "claw vs. sleeper" feud with Johnny Weaver was fun.
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had a good amateur background and could wrestle when he wanted to.
He would scare the fans when he was in full Baron regalia and ran the ropes at full speed prior to the start of a match.

uncle buck
Member # 64636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle buck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember listening to an interview of Karl Gotch (from his home in St. Pete., Fla)...Karl was a BIG fan of legit wrestler Jim Raschke and praised Raschke for the way he was able to manipulate his body
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did a big angle in JCP where the Baron claimed that he had been a great amateur in Germany and he questioned the credentials of Tim Woods. Tim brought out all his legit NCAA and Big 10 medals and challenged the Baron to a collegiate-style match on TV.

Total clinic. Really good wrestling with Woods of course getting the upper hand. Raschke wound up smashing the case with Woods' medals and stomping on them, and the feud was off and running.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Baron worked a lot in St. Louis. Didn't Sam Musnick have a problem with that name as he felt a lot of fans probably saw him play college football.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippi fan:
The Baron worked a lot in St. Louis. Didn't Sam Musnick have a problem with that name as he felt a lot of fans probably saw him play college football.

I think they just called him "Von Raschke" there instead of the Baron, didn't they?

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he was great. I remember the first time I saw him on Mid Atlantic TV when we went to the beach. His voice was crazy during interviews. He was maniacal in a sadistic kind of way. He was having matches against Blackjack Mulligan at the time I believe. He could work and was a great heel. I found out later that he was an excellent amateur wrestler. The other day I was watching an interview and with I think Billy Robinson and Billy said Jim Raschke was a tough shooter because he was skilled and because he was so flexible.

He also made for an excellent tag team partner. He had a very famous team with Mad Dog Vachon, Greg Valentine, and Paul Jones as well as later with The Crusher and also Jimmy Valiant and Ernie Ladd in AWA and WWA. I got to meet him a few years back and asked him about Jim's Wigwam which was a trading post kind of store that he and his wife had. Also talked to him about wrestling Bob Roop in the amateurs and training with him. He was a super nice man.

[ 07-13-2017, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Claymation Quartermain ]

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Dissin' Terry Funk
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dissin' Terry Funk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippi fan:

I think they just called him "Von Raschke" there instead of the Baron, didn't they?
Yes. When I purchased a t-shirt from Raschke, I asked him about this....He sad Sam thought "Baron" sounded too uppity....
mnwrestlingfan
Member # 8303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnwrestlingfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really goofy, but try to find some "Bertha" Von Raschke stuff on you tube. It was a pretty fun little angle with Jimmy Garvin.

As a side note, I've always wondered who booked this.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by mnwrestlingfan:
It's really goofy, but try to find some "Bertha" Von Raschke stuff on you tube. It was a pretty fun little angle with Jimmy Garvin.

The Bertha stuff actually started back in 1979 when the Baron held Crockett's World tag title with Paul Jones. Flair and Mulligan had encouraged fans to chant "Bald Headed Geek" at the Baron, which, as Jones noted, crushed Raschke's self-esteem. To help his friend with his insecurities, Paul gave the Baron an Eva Gabor wig, which he would wear to the ring.

Of course then, Mulligan started calling him "Bertha Von Raschke" (which became the new chant). The gimmick was, he'd try to wrestle in the wig, at which point the babyfaces would tear it off his head and throw it to the crowd, thus re-starting the "Bald Headed Geek" chants. JCP wasn't noted for goofy comedy but when George Scott went for it, he swung for the fences.

[ 07-15-2017, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Raschke returned to the AWA as the avenger of Mad Dog Vachon, he did some interviews with his back to the camera that were intense.

He became one of the avuncular figures of the AWA over time, a guy the fans felt they knew. I've heard he had back injuries and they seemed to limit his physicality. He did comedic commercials for a local pizza place.

But he was & stayed over, and got others over. And he's still a beloved figure in the area.

I'm sold.

[ 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Liz Hunter's Boyfriend ]

mnwrestlingfan
Member # 8303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnwrestlingfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by mnwrestlingfan:

The Bertha stuff actually started back in 1979 when the Baron held Crockett's World tag title with Paul Jones. Flair and Mulligan had encouraged fans to chant "Bald Headed Geek" at the Baron, which, as Jones noted, crushed Raschke's self-esteem. To help his friend with his insecurities, Paul gave the Baron an Eva Gabor wig, which he would wear to the ring.

Of course then, Mulligan started calling him "Bertha Von Raschke" (which became the new chant). The gimmick was, he'd try to wrestle in the wig, at which point the babyfaces would tear it off his head and throw it to the crowd, thus re-starting the "Bald Headed Geek" chants. JCP wasn't noted for goofy comedy but when George Scott went for it, he swung for the fences.

That is something I never knew SWJ. Really cool info...it's why I love this board.

The Bertha thing in the AWA was pretty important when Jimmy Garvin challenged Rick Martel for the AWA title.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations