WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » What is your dream feud from the territory days? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is your dream feud from the territory days?
Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Orcutt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What feud from the territory days that never happened would you have liked to have seen the most? My dream feud would have been a heel Buddy Rose from the late 70's-early80's vs. a babyface Jerry Lawler. This could take place in either Portland or Memphis, but I think in order to get the most out of this feud Jerry would have to have went to Portland, because I think to make this feud live up to it's full potential Jerry would have to have faced Buddy with some form of his Army. I would have their feud blow off in a hair match and who goes over depends on where they are, if it's in Portland Rose goes over and if it's in Memphis Lawler does.
 -

-

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread/topic.

Here's some for me:

Early 70's - Wahoo McDaniel (Dallas) vs. Dick The Bruiser (WWA/Indiana)

Mid 70's - Ron Fuller (SE) vs. Pak Song (Florida)

Late 70's - Mr. Wrestling II (Georgia) vs. a young Ric Flair (Mid Atlantic)

Early 80's - Freebirds (Georgia) vs. Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell (AWA)

Mid 80's - Gino Hernandez & Chris Adams (Dallas) vs. The Rock and Roll Express (JCP)

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

pitbullsfan
Member # 115351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbullsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The High Flyers vs. Tully Blanchard and Gino Hernandez

--------------------
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
" Did FOX push the birthed agenda? I honestly don't recall."

Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Orcutt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another feud I would have loved to have seen would have been Dusty Rhodes vs. Nick Bockwinkel with Dusty as the baby face and Nick as the heel. I know they had a couple matches with each other but I don't think they ever actually had a long program or a feud with each other. Just the promos that they would cut on each other would be enough for me, it would just be so entertaining with Bockwinkel being an obnoxious snob and talking down to everyone and Rhodes being the common every day man.

-

-

[ 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Orcutt ]

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hogan vs the Crockett Russians. That would have been awesome.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones Army
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones Army

[Razz]

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heel Piper vs Dusty in 1981. Either in Florida or JCP.

Piper's promos in regards to Dusty's physique alone would be worth the price of admission.

Maybe give Piper some cronies (Slater? Orton?) to help make the odds more challenging for Big Dust.

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mongolian Stomper w/Don Carson vs. Maniac Mark Lewin w/either Mephisto or Gary Hart.
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been my dream since last evening when I thought of it: Piper vs. Dynamite Kid in 79 somewhere (or everywhere) on the west coast.
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure they did wrestle each other in JCP at some point, at least in tag matches. But I would have liked to see Wahoo vs Paul Jones. However, I'd want Wahoo to be the heel.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Harts vs Von Erichs feud would have been neat too.
HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, how about Dr D David Shults versus Just About Anybody.

In my opinion, he was unforgivably underutilized. Great talker. Great worker. Had a legit tough guy aura about him, such that beating him would actually mean something.

And yet he had very few memorable programs on any significant stages.

Imagine him against ....

• Junkyard Dog in MidSouth 1982
  • David Von Erich in Dallas 1983
  • Barry Windham in JCP 1987
  • Ricky Steamboat in JCP 1984
  • (as a Steve-Austinesque babyface!) vs Ted DiBiase in WWF 1987

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had an Apter Mag where they wrote about and had pictures from a Rhodes-Piper match. One picture had Rhodes in a sleeper and another he was getting slung into the ropes.

The story was something like Piper was going to run Rhodes out of Georgia. From the pictures it looked like it was at least a short program.

[ 07-11-2017, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Jm ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WahooFan:
I'm sure they did wrestle each other in JCP at some point, at least in tag matches. But I would have liked to see Wahoo vs Paul Jones. However, I'd want Wahoo to be the heel.

Shockingly, not a lot of interaction between them as opponents. Of course they were an insanely popular tag team for JCP in the mid-'70s.

When Jones first turned heel, Wahoo was mostly out of the territory except for shots here and there.

March 25 1979 - Asheville, NC
1] Herb Gallant beat Tony Russo
2] Terry Sawyer beat David Patterson
3] Sgt. Jacques Goulet beat Nick DeCarlo
4] Ernie Ladd & Kim Duk beat Pedro Morales & Skip Young
5] Tony Atlas beat Baron Von Raschke
6] "NWA" TV TITLE: Paul Jones and Wahoo McDaniel went to a double disqualification

Then they reformed their legendary team in 1981 to resume their feud with Ole & Gene Anderson.

August 19, 1982 - Winston Salem, NC
1] Juan Reynosa vs Kelly Kiniski
2] Ken Timbs & Ali Bey vs Mike Davis & Ron Ritchie
3] Jake Roberts vs Gene Anderson
4] Wahoo McDaniel & Roddy Piper vs Paul Jones & Sgt. Slaughter
5] NWA champion Ric Flair vs Jack Brisco

August 28, 1982 - Hampton, Va
1] Ron Ritchie beat Ken Timbs
2] Kelly Kiniski beat Juan Reynosa
3] Mike Rotundo beat The Scorpion
4] Wahoo McDaniel & Roddy Piper & Johnny Weaver beat Leroy Brown & Paul Jones & Sir Oliver Humperdink

Then Jones became a manager in early 1982.

Mr. Parts Unknown
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Parts Unknown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I know they faced each other in a handful of matches in Georgia in 1983 (or thereabouts), I would liked to have seen a full-blown feud between Mr. Wrestling II and Jake Roberts.

Their physical styles in the ring and contrasting styles on the mic (think about II's fiery promos compared to Jake's cool, sinister banter) could've been really fun.

If it happened in Georgia, I'd say II would had to have been the face and Jake the heel, but you could've mixed and match had it been in, say, Mid-South.

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
FREE BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS

Dwayne Soper
Member # 4321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dwayne Soper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
British Bulldogs vs Midnight Express in the Crocketts
Kerry Von Erich vs Nikita Koloff in World Class
Visiting Nick Bockwinkel vs Kerry Von Erich in World Class

--------------------
"Heroes come and go,but LEGENDS never die...."

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Robinson v. Bruno Sammartino - First title run.

Didn't see Bruno wrestle during this time, but he claims to have altered his style to his opponent. I've leaned to appreciate Robinson recently and would enjoy watching Bruno try to keep up.

[ 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: merc ]

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HMFiles from WA:
Also, how about Dr D David Shults versus Just About Anybody.

In my opinion, he was unforgivably underutilized. Great talker. Great worker. Had a legit tough guy aura about him, such that beating him would actually mean something.

And yet he had very few memorable programs on any significant stages.

Imagine him against ....

[*]Junkyard Dog in MidSouth 1982

[*]David Von Erich in Dallas 1983

[*]Barry Windham in JCP 1987

[*]Ricky Steamboat in JCP 1984

[*](as a Steve-Austinesque babyface!) vs Ted DiBiase in WWF 1987

I want to see 1980 Shults and Condrey at MSG.
GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ted Dibiase v Barry Windham, with a double turn in the storyline.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savage v Orndorf in 86

they had some mmatches but a full blown feud would have been great

Paul Orndorff vs. Randy Savage-IC Title by Stinger1981

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steamboat vs Bockwinkle.

--------------------
free

The Coach
Member # 6392

quote:
Originally posted by MoneyDragon:
Steamboat vs Bockwinkle.

They actually met in JCP/MACW with Bockwinkle as AWA Champion.

--------------------

WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by WahooFan:

Shockingly, not a lot of interaction between them as opponents. Of course they were an insanely popular tag team for JCP in the mid-'70s.

When Jones first turned heel, Wahoo was mostly out of the territory except for shots here and there.

March 25 1979 - Asheville, NC
1] Herb Gallant beat Tony Russo
2] Terry Sawyer beat David Patterson
3] Sgt. Jacques Goulet beat Nick DeCarlo
4] Ernie Ladd & Kim Duk beat Pedro Morales & Skip Young
5] Tony Atlas beat Baron Von Raschke
6] "NWA" TV TITLE: Paul Jones and Wahoo McDaniel went to a double disqualification

Then they reformed their legendary team in 1981 to resume their feud with Ole & Gene Anderson.

August 19, 1982 - Winston Salem, NC
1] Juan Reynosa vs Kelly Kiniski
2] Ken Timbs & Ali Bey vs Mike Davis & Ron Ritchie
3] Jake Roberts vs Gene Anderson
4] Wahoo McDaniel & Roddy Piper vs Paul Jones & Sgt. Slaughter
5] NWA champion Ric Flair vs Jack Brisco

August 28, 1982 - Hampton, Va
1] Ron Ritchie beat Ken Timbs
2] Kelly Kiniski beat Juan Reynosa
3] Mike Rotundo beat The Scorpion
4] Wahoo McDaniel & Roddy Piper & Johnny Weaver beat Leroy Brown & Paul Jones & Sir Oliver Humperdink

Then Jones became a manager in early 1982.

The matches with Wahoo/Jones vs The Andersons is what got me hooked on wrestling. One of my earliest memories of wrestling is watching Wahoo/Jones beat The Andersons so bad on TV that Ole and Gene wouldn't turn around and face the camera. I actually think they wrestled that night in the Greensboro Coliseum. Of course The Anderson's won, but looking back at it now, it was the perfect way to get fans to the arena.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crusher/Bruiser vs Gene/Ole
Henning/Race vs Gene/Ole
Dibiase/Williams vs Gene/Ole
Steamboat vs Micheals
Tully/Gino vs Midnight Express

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

18 Guys Named Ramirez
Member # 5323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18 Guys Named Ramirez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had a buncha threads debating who was better- Flair or Bockwinkel?

How about they have an extended feud around 1982 and see who can outshine the other?

--------------------
"Look here, If you don't get your *** to work, I got 18 guys named Ramirez that want your job.." Contractor resurfacing my driveway to an argumentative employee. (He got back to work.)

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Road Warriors vs. Blade Runners

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 18 Guys Named Ramirez:

How about they have an extended feud around 1982 and see who can outshine the other?

Or...imagine Nick in the Harley role putting the bounty on Ric's head to set up Starrcade.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djangoska:

Timing wouldn't really work, as Gene was all but retired by the time Dibiase & Williams teamed up.
djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
quote:
Originally posted by djangoska:

Timing wouldn't really work, as Gene was all but retired by the time Dibiase & Williams teamed up.
oh didn't think of that

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez vs. Dick Slater & Bob Orton Jr.
Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:
It's been my dream since last evening when I thought of it: Piper vs. Dynamite Kid in 79 somewhere (or everywhere) on the west coast.

I never thought of that but it would be a great contrast in style.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Orcutt:
quote:

Could've sworn that actually happened when Dynamite was aligned with Buddy Rose against Roddy in Portland.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1981 version of Magnificent Muraco feuding with Flair in JCP, Lawler in Memphis, JYD in Mid South or the Von Erichs in World Class.
Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
quote:
Steamboat vs Bockwinkle.

Did they actually have big feud though? I would have loved to have seen that myself.
Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

quote:
quote:

Or...imagine Nick in the Harley role putting the bounty on Ric's head to set up Starrcade.
I've thought of something similar to that, but it was just with Bockwinkel being a substitution for Race in the main event with Flair, if Harley would have taken Vince McMahon's offer the night before Starrcade '83 to join the WWF, no show Starrcade and take the NWA title with him to the WWF. I think Bockwinkel vs. Flair would have been a better match and I also think there was a chance it could have made Flair a bigger star.
Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

quote:
quote:
quote:

Could've sworn that actually happened when Dynamite was aligned with Buddy Rose against Roddy in Portland.
I don't think so, Roddy left Portland in 1981 and Dynamite didn't get there until '83.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
quote:

I've thought of something similar to that, but it was just with Bockwinkel being a substitution for Race in the main event with Flair, if Harley would have taken Vince McMahon's offer the night before Starrcade '83 to join the WWF, no show Starrcade and take the NWA title with him to the WWF. I think Bockwinkel vs. Flair would have been a better match and I also think there was a chance it could have made Flair a bigger star.
Nick was well known in JCP but hadn't been there in more than three years, so would've taken some steam out if he just plopped in out of nowhere. If Harley had no-showed, it would've taken something drastic (like a Steamboat heel turn or something).
Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
quote:
Steamboat vs Bockwinkle.

Did they actually have big feud though? I would have loved to have seen that myself.
They faced each other 8 times in 1979

04/17 Raleigh, NC Ricky Steamboat beat Nick Bockwinkel by DQ

04/24 Raleigh, NC Ricky Steamboat beat Nick Bockwinkel by DQ

09/02 Columbia, SC Ricky Steamboat defeated Nick Bockwinkel by DQ (for AWA title) - I was there for this match

09/02 Greensboro, NC Ricky Steamboat beat Nick Bockwinkel by DQ (defended TV title)

09/04 Raleigh, NC Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair & Blackjack Mulligan beat Nick Bockwinkel, Paul Jones & Baron Von Raschke

09/18 Raleigh, NC Ricky Steamboat vs. Nick Bockwinkel

10/19 Hampton, VA Ricky Steamboat beat Nick Bockwinkel by countout

10/20 Winston-Salem, NC Ricky Steamboat vs. Nick Bockwinkel

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations