WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Ranking AWA Superclash I-IV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ranking AWA Superclash I-IV
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incredibly bored today I decided to bite the bullet and watch these back to back to back to back. Well I haven't found IV so I started with III. It was pretty brutal. II has Hennig vs Bock so that is a plus. I is up next so how would you rank these?
IP: Logged
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
II was the best, I and III were ridiculously long shows, I being the better of the two. I stands out for having 3 of the final 4 matches end in DQ or Countout. 4 was not filmed to the best of my knowledge. I don't know why because AWA still had TV at the time.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked I because it felt like a big time card with Flair, the Road Warriors, Freebirds, Hansen, Mascaras, Race, etc. on hand. The others not so much.
Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superclash 1 was the best of the bunch, talent and lineup wise and drew the best of course. Superclash 3 was a unmitigated disaster, between Verne's waiting so long to get into the ppv market, Chicago becoming a WWF/Crockett town, and just the sheer disorganization and backstabbing of that era in the AWA,
MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The strong card on SuperClash 1 - two world title matches and four world champions on the card (including Race and Bockwinkel) make it a stand-out.

I'm going from a distant memory, and I know it was a disaster from a logistical perspective, but the card on SuperClash 3 was stronger than 2.

SuperClash 2 had the Hennig-Bock match. SuperClash 4 looked like the weakest of the quartet.

Generally, the AWA in this era was strongest when pulling in talent from other promotions (SuperClash I and III), not relying mostly on its own roster (II and IV). What do you think?

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to compare these cards and count II and IV along with I and III. II and IV were glorified house shows that were given the Super Clash name to make them feel more important. Neither was promoted nationally. They weren't multi-promotional supercards with big names from other places.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
It's hard to compare these cards and count II and IV along with I and III. II and IV were glorified house shows that were given the Super Clash name to make them feel more important. Neither was promoted nationally. They weren't multi-promotional supercards with big names from other places.

Wow this is excellent information! I was too young then to know but this is great to read. I still think since IV was never taped, cant really include it. Then the order goes I-II-III for me. III was a legit flustercluk to the point where I started fast forwarding just to the main event.

It is weird that Superclash III on the network has a rare TV-MA rating. I assume because of the POWW battle royale (which was over hyped to the freaking gills during the show. After every match they did an int with a different woman and they were all terrible). Also one of the women who I think won (I FF through it) was called the Iranian Terrorist. Also the amount of blood in the main probably moved it up a TV rating.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of blood for McDaniel-Fernandez too.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also the bit with Wahoo saying it would never be over between him and Manny because he didn't just want to beat him, he "wanted him dead!" Not exactly family friendly stuff. On TV in the weeks afterward, Wahoo did an interview in which he basically backtracked and apologized, so I assume someone complained.
MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrWrestlingIIForever:
The strong card on SuperClash 1 - two world title matches and four world champions on the card (including Race and Bockwinkel) make it a stand-out.

Correction: Make that seven world champions on the card. Flair, Martel, Race, Bockwinkel, Kerry Von Erich, Baba, and Jumbo Tsuruta.
SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super Clash 1 was the biggest of them all. The only matches I keep on dvd from the 1st one are...

Flair vs. Magnum
Martel vs. Hansen
Road Warriors vs. Freebirds
Kerry Von Erich vs. Jimmy Garvin

I thought the rest of the show was pretty dull even with all the big names involved.

[ 07-14-2017, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: SHOOTER ]

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

quote:
quote:

Correction: Make that seven world champions on the card. Flair, Martel, Race, Bockwinkel, Kerry Von Erich, Baba, and Jumbo Tsuruta.
Bruiser, Crusher and Ivan Koloff as well.

[ 07-15-2017, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: REO Speeddealer ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations