WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Austin Aries Released

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Austin Aries Released
Frogs
Member # 51578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't see that coming - wonder what happened.

http://www.wwe.com/article/austin-aries-released?sf96303750=1

IP: Logged
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Cornette said on one of his podcasts that Aries was a backstage terror but I took it for a grain of salt. He said that Aries was the highest paid worker when he showed up and he wasn't wrestling at the time and was starting all sorts of backstage stuff. Jim said he had valid points because they were about the old owners and crew but when Jim said give him a chance to fix it he continued to be a cancer backstage so they got rid of him.

Does it mean Aries did something backstage in WWE, no but I have heard from other people he could be difficult to work with. It also seemed odd after his last match with Neville he kept looking into the camera with a really awkward grin to the point they kept panning away from him. Figured they gave him direction and he interpreted it wrong but then he hadn't had a match since that and it seemed like they were done with him.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also anyone know if Aries is close with Jarrett or Dutch? I can't remember who got behind his TNA push but with new owners and familiar faces he might have wanted to be the big fish in a small pond instead of being regulated to just being a CW guy. That's just a hypothetical I had.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like he peaked with the first Neville match and just kinda fizzled from there.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His over-the-bottom-rope dive is the only dive that matters. It legit look like a weapon (and hits the opponent suddenly so he doesn't look like he's waiting for it) instead of some fancy little dance move.

[ 07-07-2017, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While talented, I never found him to have a "main guy" attraction to him.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

Kevin Orcutt
Member # 127445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Orcutt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
Jim Cornette said on one of his podcasts that Aries was a backstage terror but I took it for a grain of salt. He said that Aries was the highest paid worker when he showed up and he wasn't wrestling at the time and was starting all sorts of backstage stuff. Jim said he had valid points because they were about the old owners and crew but when Jim said give him a chance to fix it he continued to be a cancer backstage so they got rid of him.

Does it mean Aries did something backstage in WWE, no but I have heard from other people he could be difficult to work with. It also seemed odd after his last match with Neville he kept looking into the camera with a really awkward grin to the point they kept panning away from him. Figured they gave him direction and he interpreted it wrong but then he hadn't had a match since that and it seemed like they were done with him.

I don't think Aries behavior behind the scenes had anything to do with him being released. Look at three of their top stars over the last ten or fifteen years, those stars being Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton and CM Punk and even recently Kevin Owens they all had reputations for being horrible people backstage and they got pushed to world titles, if you have talent they will look past certain things. I think Aries may have just wanted to leave. He said on Roddy Piper's podcast a few years ago that he didn't see himself wrestling much longer.

[ 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Orcutt ]

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also anyone know if Aries is close with Jarrett or Dutch? I can't remember who got behind his TNA push but with new owners and familiar faces he might have wanted to be the big fish in a small pond instead of being regulated to just being a CW guy. That's just a hypothetical I had.

I thought it was Hogan who gave him the push

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Orcutt:
quote:

I don't think Aries behavior behind the scenes had anything to do with him being released. Look at three of their top stars over the last ten or fifteen years, those stars being Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton and CM Punk and even recently Kevin Owens they all had reputations for being horrible people backstage and they got pushed to world titles, if you have talent they will look past certain things. I think Aries may have just wanted to leave. He said on Roddy Piper's podcast a few years ago that he didn't see himself wrestling much longer.
I think you're making some false equivilencies with these guys. Each "horrible reputation" is sooooooooooooooooooĆ²o subjective and disputed....Owens a bad dude? Please. What do you want? A bunch of Kofi Kingstons? Having fire does not necessarily mean being cancers....and the guys you mentioned and grouped Aries with are suspect in regards to their behaviors. It's all a case by case basis.

That being said...never seen anything in Aries.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

https://youtu.be/4uqBjTSGwNg

Believe what you want but the termination wasn't just to save money according to Cornette.

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

And there is a huge difference in not being personable versus being a locker room cancer. Owens might not be social but he does his job. Did he start anything backstage about losing his title to Goldberg like he did? No he didn't. It sounds like something Aries would do though. Completely different types of backstage behaviors.

Edit: and I would love to see HBK of 96 or 97 in WWE today. Guys back then and even in the case of CM Punk got away with stuff because their worth outweighed their disruptive nature. my point is if you're gonna be a guy with a reputation you damn sure need to be something more than just a crusierweight guy. That's like if the Duke of Dorchester was backstage complaining about doing any job. Outside Neville, The Brian Kendrick and maybe Tozawa and Rich Swann, the cruiser weights are a complete roster filler. They've buried any type of Momentum the division had after the classic.

So yeah guys with bad attitudes can keep jobs but they need to be elite. Sorry to say Austin Aries is good but not elite and given his past reputation it could be an issue.

I heard he asked for his release so I doubt it had anything particular to do with his attitude but WWE doesn't just release people anymore. Especially people they use. Look at the last few releases. Ryback, had attitude and complained about pay offs. Cody, complained about his gimmick and push. Jack Swagger, not used in months prior to his release.

[ 07-07-2017, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aries ASKED for his release.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:

Which is why I asked if he was in good with Dutch or Jeff.

Edit you only get released from WWE for two reasons 1. You want out or 2. You're a problem. Aries could have fit under both and I was just offering proof he has a history.

[ 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:

Which is why I asked if he was in good with Dutch or Jeff.

Edit you only get released from WWE for two reasons 1. You want out or 2. You're a problem. Aries could have fit under both and I was just offering proof he has a history.

I don't know one way or the other but one thing I do know is that you didn't offer proof. You offered Jim Cornette bashing a guy he didn't like and none of us, well most of us, have no clue what was really going on between Cornette and Aries. So call it what you want, but it's definitely not "proof," at best it's "he said/he said."

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe he just didn't want to get hit with a sledgehammer
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

According to Meltzer and I'm not for or against Aries but on the WO Radio Meltzer said that Aries was a known complainer. That "most" people knew he didn't want to be on 205 Live.

Now listen I agree Aries wasn't used well. 205 Live is a dead brand already. I said that on here but anyone who has worked for WWE will tell you the thing that really annoys Vince the most are guys who whine and complain. Does that mean he's a cancer backstage? No but it means you're already on the bad side of the office in WWE.

I remember when Aries was TNA Champion they soured on him because when they made Hardy #1 contender he knew he was dropping the title. They at least turned his backstage comments into part of the feud but after that happened I remember it being awkward for him and their management until he started teaming with Bobby Roode.

It was still early and Meltzer said more news would come out but based on everything leading up, it sounds like Aries was being vocal (to follow with Cornette's analysis of him) and the WWE was more than happy to let him go.

I am sorry if my proof is not enough for you guys but if he walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, he's not Jesus Christ no matter what the talent level is and I think Aries outside of being vertically challenged can be a great star but guys who complain all the time just really aren't worth the trouble in 2017.

djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So when will he start with GWF?

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djangoska:

As soon as Joe Pedicino gets that 2nd round of investment money from Mr. Oleani?
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a lot of accounts (not just Cornette), Aries is one of those guys who isn't happy unless he's unhappy about something. Back in the day we used to call such folk "Billy Bumtrip" or "Debbie Downer". This is the sort of person who when you tell them that they have won an all expenses paid two week vacation in Maui they'll whine because they'd prefer the big island and they have to pack.

Aries has had the kind of career that most guys just dream about, he's been able to work pretty much anywhere he felt like and by all accounts has been rather well paid. Ten years from now he'll be supplementing his income by releasing shoot videos where he talks about how ****** everything was for him.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Is Aries were a foot and a half taller, wore big furry boots, and no-sold Lex Luger in a cage, the internet would be kissing his ass.
djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

As soon as Joe Pedicino gets that 2nd round of investment money from Mr. Oleani?
D'oh GFW I meant to say.

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

D'oh GFW I meant to say.
Okay then...as soon as Jeff Jarrett sells some more gold to Mr. Oleani.
PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was very polite of WWE to give AA a nice statement to issue on his way out. I'm sure he agreed with their contents.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations