WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » What was your favorite film of 1980?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What was your favorite film of 1980?
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was your favorite film released in 1980?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 112 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

IP: Logged
SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough choices. I could see any one of them getting votes. I went with Caddyshack. Probably the most quotable of the bunch.

--------------------
SWW72

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raging Bull for me by far.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't believe Don Adams in "The Nude Bomb" isn't on the list.

I didn't vote for other.

I went with "Airplane"...I think it had more laughs than the very funny "Caddyshack".

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not on the list but a real underrated film IMHO is Urban Cowboy.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was gonna say Chinatown didn't make this list...then realized oh that was 1974.

Raging Bull!

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 6 year old version of me was blown away by the ending of Empire Strikes Back. It remains my favorite Star Wars movie to this day. A lot of strong choices here, but it's Empire Strikes Back for me.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
knew I was gonna answer Empire without even seeing the option!

[ 05-19-2017, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:

My third after Blue Brothers and Empire Strikes Back. A great picture (IMO Jake Lamotta is DeNiro's best role). I just saw it again recently and I can't get over how young Joe Pesci looked in that movie. I remember when it came out, one of my friends said that if they were too cheap to make the movie in color, he didn't want to see it. What a maroon.
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Not on the list but a real underrated film IMHO is Urban Cowboy.

Agreed although I didn't see it until 1982 or so when it started being shown on cable TV. I always thought Debra Winger was very good in her role in this movie.
sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish this poll had 3 or 4 categories. Comedy-close between Caddyshack and Blues Brothers. I'm a mark Belushi and Ackroyd together so I went with the Blues Brothers. Drama-Raging Bull. The book is also a must read. Sci Fi- It begins and ends with Empire Strikes back. Growing up and watching the serial Flash Gordon every Saturday and Sunday morning makes the 1980 Flash Gordon movie a major disappointment. I wish there was a cult following category. Because my friends and I would drop everything anytime Used Cars was on HBO in the 80's.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'80 was a pretty good year. . A couple of good comedies not mentioned are Used Cars and The Hollywood Knights. Popeye was way too long but there was some good laughs. Williams was incredible as Popeye.
Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great choices...surprised the Shining is not getting any love. From the ominous opening shot, to the finale...loved the performances, Duvall, Scatman and Jack, and Kubrick's pacing and cinematography....it made me feel.

[ 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Pbhero ]

Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raging Bull. Glad to see someone else mention Urban Cowboy as it too is one of my favorites.

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
knew I was gonna answer Empire without even seeing the option!

Me too, but I was only 2 yrs old in 1980 to partake in this survey.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Airplane" had me on the ground crying i was laughing so hard. It may not have been "the best," but i hadda give it the nod over one helluva field.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it was "favourite", it had to be The Blues Brothers. I still play the album weekly.

After that....Empire, Caddyshack and Airplane, more or less in that order.

The early 80s was my last real enjoyment of movie comedies.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went with "Airplane", loved the nonstop joke premise.
Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cruising

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to go with other, though it is hard to choose between these three:

Breaker Morant, from bruce Beresford, starring Edward Woodward. Tremendous acting, brilliant adaptation of the play.

The Long Good Friday, from John MacKenzie, starring Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren. The seminal British crime film, about a gangster whose world crumbles around him, due to his best friend and his own paranoia. Also has a small, non-speaking role with Pierce Brosnan.

The Gods Must Be Crazy, from Jamie Uys, featuring parallel stories of a Kalahri bushman who is trying to return a Coke bottle to the gods, and an animal researcher who is clumsy around women, who is sent to pick up a woman who is a volunteer teacher at a nearby village school. Also features the world's most inept revolutionary group.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

NYindyfan
Member # 125634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYindyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love stir Crazy
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy for me. Empire Strikes Back.

My mind was made up before I looked at the responses. Still one of my favorite movies of all time.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

hate sports entertainment
Member # 126344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hate sports entertainment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday the 13th.
Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw Dick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum GA:
quote:

My third after Blue Brothers and Empire Strikes Back. A great picture (IMO Jake Lamotta is DeNiro's best role). I just saw it again recently and I can't get over how young Joe Pesci looked in that movie. I remember when it came out, one of my friends said that if they were too cheap to make the movie in color, he didn't want to see it. What a maroon.
Was the "Maroon" in question a skinny eye-talian?

--------------------
"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk"

Formerly Whitey Fisk
Member # 107195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Formerly Whitey Fisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other: either Melvin and Howard or Out of the Blue
p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd forgotten The Gods Must Be Crazy came out that year. That would be it for me.
MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Empire" was the best film, but the question was favorite. I'd watch "Airplane!" 100 times to every time I watched "Empire." 1980 was an amazing year for film.

[ 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: MrWrestlingIIForever ]

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there at the time to Empire having a downer ending and being a setup for a further sequel? Was it generally known at this point that Star Wars was a trilogy of films?

I voted for Flash Gordon btw. Probably not the best film of the year but it has one of the most bizarre casts in history.

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Dick:
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum GA:
quote:

Was the "Maroon" in question a skinny eye-talian?
No. But I will say he was a Patriots fan waaaaaaaaay before spygate.
SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. More votes both for Any Which Way You Can and Flash Gordon than for The Shining.

--------------------
SWW72

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SWW72 from FL:
Wow. More votes both for Any Which Way You Can and Flash Gordon than for The Shining.

Well, lots of us LIKE The Shining, but it's not generally a film that is going to top a lot of "favourite" lists.

Brilliant movie, but one viewing was enough for me.

Blues Brothers on the other hand...regular re-watching.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Here's Johnny"
Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went with "Airplane!", one of my favorite comedies of all-time. When someone mentioned "Breaker Morant" I remembered what an incredible film it was.

The sad thing about this list is "Flash Gordon" is the only one I actually saw in a theater first. Not a particularly good movie, but Max Von Sydow was very good as usual, and Ornella Muti and Melody Anderson were gorgeous - so it gets enough of a pass.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other- The Elephant Man.

Raging Bull second.

From that list I'd have The Shining in third but I'd imagine there's plenty more ones from that year that don't come to mind right now.

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Burgess:
I went with "Airplane!", one of my favorite comedies of all-time.

Surely you can't be serious.
ckb_nc
Member # 71425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ckb_nc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
'80 was a pretty good year. . A couple of good comedies not mentioned are Used Cars and The Hollywood Knights. Popeye was way too long but there was some good laughs. Williams was incredible as Popeye.

Hollywood Knights was really good and Used Cars is just plain funny. What a year for movies.
Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Burgess:
I went with "Airplane!", one of my favorite comedies of all-time.

Surely you can't be serious.
Don't call me Shirley. My mom's name is Shirley, and that's a shoot!

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

nolookpass13
Member # 128684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nolookpass13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple of honorable mentions, The Changeling and The Fog.
Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1980 was a great year for movies. I went wit Empire, but Raging Bull was a close second.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations