WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Ali, Wepner, and the wrestlers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ali, Wepner, and the wrestlers
Gerry K. Fabian
Member # 1452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerry K. Fabian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read an interesting item in the New Yorker about Chuck Wepner, mostly focusing on the new movie about him. Apparently he wrestled Victor the wrestling bear a couple of times. Can't find those on WrestlingData; anybody have clips? How much did Wepner participate in wrestling beyond the famous match with Andre?

A couple of matches from Chicago with Ali taking on wrestlers in preparation for Inoki:

Is that Vern doing the commentary. . . and talking about himself in third person?

Questions:
Other than the non-match with Gorilla Monsoon and the Inoki match, did Ali work any other wrestling matches as an actual participant (as opposed to being at ringside)?

What was the point of having Gagne, Bruiser, and Blassie involved? Is Ali suppoosed to be the heel?

Did these two matches happen the same night?

Here are highlights of Ali-Wepner:

Maybe I've just been watching too much wrestling, but it looks to me like Ali is working a bit here, taking a bump on purpose and letting Wepner last almost all the way. Opinions?

[ 05-19-2017, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Gerry K. Fabian ]

--------------------
Notes from the Night Side of Nature. . .
www.deadlykingdom.com

IP: Logged
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry K. Fabian:
Just read an interesting item in the New Yorker about Chuck Wepner, mostly focusing on the new movie about him. Apparently he wrestled Victor the wrestling bear a couple of times. Can't find those on WrestlingData; anybody have clips? How much did Wepner participate in wrestling beyond the famous match with Andre?

A couple of matches from Chicago with Ali taking on wrestlers in preparation for Inoki:

Is that Vern doing the commentary. . . and talking about himself in third person?

Questions:
Other than the non-match with Gorilla Monsoon and the Inoki match, did Ali work any other wrestling matches as an actual participant (as opposed to being at ringside)?

What was the point of having Gagne, Bruiser, and Blassie involved? Is Ali suppoosed to be the heel?

Here are highlights of Ali-Wepner:

Maybe I've just been watching too much wrestling, but it looks to me like Ali is working a bit here, taking a bump on purpose and letting Wepner last almost all the way. Opinions?

He goes down because Wepner stands on his foot
 -

[ 05-19-2017, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He toyed with Wepner-- that is until Wepner pulled the step-on-his-foot-knock-down.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry K. Fabian:

No.

Questions:

Actually Inoki ended up not being a work.

I guess for the benefit of Japan. Always wondered that too.

Yes.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali and Kiniski did a loop of " the battle of the mouths" in Canada 🇨🇦. No matches but radio debates. This was during Ali's suspension in the 60s. Kiniski gave Ali mad props as a "worker"

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ESPN 30 For 30 on Wepner talks about the wrestling bear; naturally, much of the episode is about the Ali fight. Wepner said that even after Ali was left nearly unable to speak by his Parkinson's, Ali would come up to Wepner and step on his foot every time he would see him.

Vince McMahon is also interviewed in the 30 For 30 episode in reference to the Wepner-Andre the Giant bout. Footage is also shown from Andre-Wepner.

The episode is one of the more interesting 30 For 30s, although there is a lot of bitching from Wepner about Sylvester Stallone "stealing my entire life" for Rocky. Wepner's involvement in the "Operation Bullpen" autograph scam in never mentioned in the episode.

Operation Bullpen was a massive, nationwide scam of autographs that fleeced buyers out of tens of millions of dollars. Wepner's involvement in the scam was relatively small and less brazen in that he signed his autograph to photos of him knocking down Ali, then forged Ali's autograph on the same photo. The 30 For 30 episode also showed Wepner's business card, in which he refers to himself as "The Real Rocky."

[ 05-19-2017, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: 1000 Masks But No Jobs ]

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Stallone pay Wepner?
doublenogginknocker
Member # 39765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublenogginknocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wepner sued Stallone and they settled out of court.
DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I just found this and then found this thread, Here's Ali "fighting" Lyle Alzado.

Gerry K. Fabian
Member # 1452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerry K. Fabian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies, everybody. Interesting stuff!

--------------------
Notes from the Night Side of Nature. . .
www.deadlykingdom.com

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to see the movie about Chuck starring Liev Schrieber. The trailer looks awesome.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz Hunter's Boyfriend:
Did Stallone pay Wepner?

In the 30 For 30, Vince McMahon looks right into the camera and says: "If I could give one word of advice to Stallone on dealing with Chuck's lawsuit, it's this: settle."

Wepner also talked about Thunderlips throwing Rocky over the top rope in Rocky III (the epsiode had just showed Andre the Giant throwing Wepner over the top rope). That was the context behind Wepner's comment about Stallone "stealing my entire life," first in the original Rocky and again in Rocky III.

[ 05-20-2017, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: 1000 Masks But No Jobs ]

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations