WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » A couple of questions about Dave Bautista

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A couple of questions about Dave Bautista
Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone think h qualifies as the second most successful wrestler turned actor, behind the Rock?

Does anyone else think that he would have attraction appeal if he returned to wrestle very occasionally, especially now he is successful in Hollywood? I know a lot of people get hung up on work rate and that's not what I'm talking about. I still think that Batista vs Lesnar would put butts in seats, as both have transcended into the mainstream. I think they would have had a great big man showdown in the 2004 had Lesnar stuck around.

IP: Logged
Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood Hoagie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's easily the second biggest actor.

And yes he would be excellent to use against lesnar.

Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.....any body ever hear of a little film called MR. F'N NANNY?

Thunder in Paradise?

Please....

[ 05-18-2017, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI ]

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He said on Jerichos podcast last week that he'd only come back to work a program with HHH and also mentioned he's getting older and he's pretty much booked up for the next couple of years.

He hinted that they were not interested in him working one last program with Hunter.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/DaveBautistaReturns

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On GMA last week.

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FiveThirtyEight article: "There Are Lots Of Wrestlers In Hollywood, But Only Two Really Matter
(Neither of them is John Cena)"

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Kevin Nash? He was in Magic Mike which. I think had a really good box office and he was praised for his work in it. I'll have to check his IMDB but I thought he was getting steady work for some well received roles.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
What about Kevin Nash? He was in Magic Mike which. I think had a really good box office and he was praised for his work in it. I'll have to check his IMDB but I thought he was getting steady work for some well received roles.

According to the 538 article, Nash's box office is significantly higher than Cena but still lower than Bautista and even Hogan, and way lower than Austin (I was surprised there).
Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bautista should focus on making his living in cinema.

His movies aren't WWE products, i.e. garbage, so they aren't going to lift a finger to put him over.

He's so muscle-bound, and with a history of shearing muscles off of tendons taking simple bumps, why risk it?

bcthomas
Member # 125485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Cena spends more time in Hollywood, he'll become huge. Like him or not, he has incredible charisma, and every single Hollywood person that he's worked with has heaped praise upon him, and brought him back for subsequent projects.
Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz Hunter's Boyfriend:
Bautista should focus on making his living in cinema.

His movies aren't WWE products, i.e. garbage, so they aren't going to lift a finger to put him over.

He's so muscle-bound, and with a history of shearing muscles off of tendons taking simple bumps, why risk it?

Not just simple bumps.Dude tore his tricep or bicep,I forget,simply pie facing Bubba Ray Dudley years ago iirc.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, Rock, and Cena are A-list guys making A-list films. In terms of being able to make big money and not have to do pure slop, it's not even close.

Hogan, Piper, Austin, etc. all got nice little B and C-level runs but they were never at those three's level in terms of both box office and quality.

Regarding Hogan, the "Magic Mike" films grossed about $300 million. Not familiar with any Hogan film other than "Rocky 3" that even approached that kind of business. I strongly doubt that Hogan's total box office as a lead even approaches a tenth of that.

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Dave, Rock, and Cena are A-list guys making A-list films. In terms of being able to make big money and not have to do pure slop, it's not even close.

Hogan, Piper, Austin, etc. all got nice little B and C-level runs but they were never at those three's level in terms of both box office and quality.

Regarding Hogan, the "Magic Mike" films grossed about $300 million. Not familiar with any Hogan film other than "Rocky 3" that even approached that kind of business. I strongly doubt that Hogan's total box office as a lead even approaches a tenth of that.

Rocky 3 absolutely blows Magic Mike away

It did $280m in 1982 money!

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
quote:

Hogan was in one scene (memorable, sure, but it meant more to rasslin' fans than it meant to the box office). Nash is actually a pretty big member of the Magic Mike ensemble throughout (and he's a real actor in it, not a gimmick). Stallone drew the crowd for Rocky. Hulk never drew a movie crowd.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Ventura?

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
How about Ventura?

"Abraxas" must've made at least a thousand dollars.
Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hogan was in one scene (memorable, sure, but it meant more to rasslin' fans than it meant to the box office). Nash is actually a pretty big member of the Magic Mike ensemble throughout (and he's a real actor in it, not a gimmick). Stallone drew the crowd for Rocky. Hulk never drew a movie crowd.
Yes. And, Nash is good in it too. The role of Tarzan was a natural fit for him, and he did right by it.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

That emotional little scene where Nash talks about his lonely life on the road in the 2nd one was as good an acting job as anything I've ever seen. Was very real.
Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you were going to ask the question about Bautista that they always ask on Reddit...
Frogs
Member # 51578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
FiveThirtyEight article: "There Are Lots Of Wrestlers In Hollywood, But Only Two Really Matter
(Neither of them is John Cena)"

Actually an interesting graph at the bottom of that article. A plot of domestic box offices vs Rotten Tomatoes score.

#2 in box office $, right behind Rock, is Steve Austin. Sure, by the Rotten Tomatoes score his movies stink, but by the box office score they do make some nice $$.

[ 05-20-2017, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Frogs ]

JeremyM
Member # 5283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeremyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Austin is right behind him in average dollars grossed for his roles thanks to having roles in two Adam Sandler films, which were almost locks for many years to do well at the box office--for whatever reason. He's getting more credit than he deserves I believe.

The jury is out on Cena. If his role in Daddy's Home 2 gets over, I could see him moving up to the next tier in roles. He seems to have found a niche with small roles in broad comedies after failing to catch fire as the lead in the comedies The Marine and 12 Rounds.

(Yes, I know those aren't comedies, but I find them to be hilarious.)

--------------------
My second novel, "The Adventures of Braxton Revere" is available now! I swear it's good! http://tinyurl.com/okfdo9o

Check out my fantasy-adventure novel "On the Backs of Dragons" here! http://tinyurl.com/c9m78mv

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Austin was also part of an ensemble in the first "Expendables." Like with the Sandler films, he wasn't the marquee player.

Outside of WWE Studios' "The Condemned" (which I thought was a lot of fun and actually feel is very underrated), he's never been the A-player in movies that got legit mainstream pushes. "The Condemned" got a wide release by Lionsgate and flopped big time (which ended Austin's bankability at the major league level).

He's become a Roddy Piper-type B-movie king though and there's nothing wrong with that. He works steadily, he gets paid, and those movies make their money back. But he's not REALLY No. 2 to Rock when it comes to the "Hollywood A-list level."

I'm tellin' ya...that's Bautista.

He's cemented in the Marvel Universe with Drax. He'll probably play that character for another ten years and make major, major bank. He did a Bond film. He's doing Blade Runner. He's working on top with Robert De Niro. And he's impressing people with his acting. He's at a whole other level.

Cena also is starting to transcend (and that comes from impressing top tier people). Cena has publicly stated how much he hated "12 Rounds" (and that it was just something WWE pushed him into doing). He's being very selective with his roles now and he's making smart choices. Tina Fey loves him. Amy Schumer loves him. Judd Apatow loves him. That instantly put him in the "consider" pile for every major project in Hollywood that needed an articulate buff guy.

Now Cena's the the lead in a Doug Liman film and he's got top roles coming out opposite Mark Wahlberg, Will Ferrell, Leslie Mann, Orlando Bloom, Jeff Goldblum, and Kevin Bacon. Dude's not playing around.

There's The Rock. There's a drop off. Then there's Bautista...and Cena making good strides. Nash would be hovering right around that level because of the "Magic Mike" stuff but he really hasn't been able to catapult much because of it (likely because of his height and age).

Everybody else (Austin, Hogan, Piper, Funk, Ventura, etc) are way, way, way down the list (no matter how many BIT PARTS they had in moneymaking movies). You have to put everything into context.

[ 05-21-2017, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

[Austin] works steadily, he gets paid, and those movies make their money back.

Should be pointed out that "The Package" only made $1,469. He's only gotten one other lead opportunity since that (a thing that was already in motion co-starring with Michael Jai White). His big gig now is his podcast, which commands advertising BANK.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations