WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Top 10 Oldest wrestling promotions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 10 Oldest wrestling promotions
DC
Member # 263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having a conversation with a friend and we were trying to come up with the top ten oldest active full time wrestling promotions. By full time they have to run at least 12 shows in a calendar year. I know it's not really "full time" but it seemed like a fair amount of shows to start off with. Anyway, here is what we came up with:
1) EMLL/CMLL - 1933
2) NWA - 1948
3) WWWF/WWF/WWE - 1963
4) New Japan - 1972
5) All Japan - 1972
6) WWC (Puerto Rico) - 1973
7) AAA - 1992
8) CZW - 1999
9) Pro Wrestling NOAH - 2000
10) Pro Wrestling Zero 1 - 2001

We're both a little iffy on the NWA, as I can't imagine the member promotions as a whole promoting that many shows each year in the early to mid 90s.

So, are there any promotions we have missed?

Also, as an observation, how is it that there are no promotions that were founded in the 80s still active?

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NWA technically has never been "a promotion." It's always been a cooperative. No idea what Billy's plans for the brand is though but as of right now, it's still a cooperative and not a promotion.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you wanna get mega-technical, the NWA did start as the brand name for Pinkie George's actual promotion before it became a collective. And that would make it go back even further than 1948. More like 1940.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohio Valley Wrestling has been around longer than CZW, Pro Wrestling NOAH and Pro Wrestling Zero 1.
The Duke of Bridgewater
Member # 24645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Duke of Bridgewater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCW (Montreal) - 1986 (full time since 1995)
IWA Mid-South - 1996 (not full time 1999 and 2011-13, but never completely dead)

How active is ECWA (Delaware)? They must be around forever.

--------------------
Buy Shimmer, it will keep you straight!

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECWA claims to have been around since 1967.
Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And JWA was around before New Japan and All-Japan.

Didn't see them mentioned.

Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Pro Wrestling Zero 1 at #10, TNA and ROH must be between 11 and 15. I feel old suddenly. [Eek!]

--------------------
The STATION CLUB 80 Radio Show - playing all the music genres from the 80s every 3rd Saturday of the month
Official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/stationclub80/

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All-Star Wrestling (UK) Since 1970
Michinoku Pro Wrestling (Japan) Since 1993
Big Japan Pro Wrestling (Japan) Since 1995
There are several other groups still running that started before 1999.
I can't think of any that promotions started in the 80s that are still around.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

The NWL out of Hagerstown, MD has been around since 1988.

http://www.nwlwrestling.com/

I doubt they run 12 shows a year though.

[ 05-17-2017, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: REO Speeddealer ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Prefrontal-Lowblow:
And JWA was around before New Japan and All-Japan.

Didn't see them mentioned.

They're not active, so they don't fit the category.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking Chikara, but I guess they've only been around since 2002.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The W(W)WF/E "brand" goes back to 1963, but the promotion itself goes back further as Capitol Wrestling (which is what the company name still was even after establishing the WWWF as a "sanctioning body".)
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECCW out of British Columbia which at times have promoted over 100 events a year, though now they are doing about 50. Have been in business since 1996 and are celebrating their 21st anniversary this month.

IWRG promotion based in Naucalpan Mexico, controlled by the Moreno family has been promoting regularly since 1996 as well.

All Pro Wrestling, founded by Roland Alexander in 1991. Just promoted their biggest event at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in front of approximately 3,000 fans.

In no way should the "NWA" be included.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

Dirko
Member # 125609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While their website is offline, these guys apparently ran a tournament in 2016, so might still be active:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verband_Der_Berufsringer

Founded in 1912.

[ 05-18-2017, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Dirko ]

--------------------
"I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health."
(Voltaire)

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afa's WXW promotion here in nearby Allentown has been around since 1996.
SHAQ
Member # 7488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHAQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECWA is still active and runs at least 1 show a month and sometimes more. They are now based out of Woodbury NJ and Jim Kettner has retired and Mike Tarttaglia now runs it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations