I know there a few NASCAR afficienado's on the board here. So my father and I are going to the Coca Cola 600 in Charlotte next weekend. We have Hot Pass tickets that let us roam the pits/garage area and what not during the race. Anybody here ever purchase a Hot Pass for a NASCAR race? If so, what was your experience?
I've had hot passes and a hard card over the years via my work.
- Buy a lanyard as soon as you get to the track (or bring one if you have one). It makes it easy to flash your pass whenever entering restricted areas. Some tracks require you to keep your photo ID in your lanyard and they do occasionally check.
- PAY ATTENTION at all times to your surroundings. Stay out of the way of the crews and cars. I've seen people almost get run over because they're looking at their phones or not paying attention.
- Pit road before the race is usually awesome. Use good judgment if approaching a driver and don't be pushy. Be prepared to be herded off pit road VERY quickly and abruptly, usually before the National Anthem.
- Give yourself time to head up to your seats. It can easily take 20 minutes or more to get from the infield to the grandstands.
- The pathway behind the pit boxes is usually pretty narrow. Don't stand in the middle of the path, as lots of teams pull carts and other stuff through there and don't like it when it gets bottlenecked.
- They used to require long pants and closed-toe shoes for pit access, but I think they've relaxed this in recent years. Check and be sure.