WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Things about modern wrestling that annoy you... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Things about modern wrestling that annoy you...
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What?"

"This is AWESOME (clap clap clap-clap-clap)!"

"You deserve it (clap clap clap-clap-clap)!"

"YES! YES! YES!" (for anyone but Brian Danielson)

Wrestlers thanking each other on social media.

Wrestling thanking each other in the ring.

Wrestlers giving speeches when they leave a promotion.

Promotions spending days of prep time in order to make it look like they threw the entire show together on-the-fly during a 20 minute clusterf*uck promo in the ring.

37 dives that all mean nothing because everyone does them.

"Kickpads"/shin guards (especially on guys who don't do kicks).

Platform shoes.

Tables, ladders, and chairs.

Entrance sets in high school gyms populated by 11 people.

No progression-of-the-narrative from the curtain jerker-to-the midcard-to-the main event (prelims not staying in the ring, off the mic, and saving the bombast for the main event).

No protected finishers.

Illogical progression of matches (piledriver on the concrete being no-sold, followed by 23 superkicks, and a schoolboy rollup for the win).

Focusing on the fans and their annoying chants.

Some idiot in the crowd holding an exact replica of the same belt the World champion is holding in the ring (way to make the top prize seem "special").

[ 05-15-2017, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

IP: Logged
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omnipresent authority figures....it was cool and it meant something when say Jim Crockett would show up every few weeks, if that.

I mean, Mr McMahon in 1998-99 was good because it worked against the rebel Stone Cold character

PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roll ups.

Scripted Promos.

Fan boy crowd chants.

Match ratings.

10 false finishes.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Announcers who aren't allowed to keep their credibility and dignity.

[ 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys over 300 pounds going cruiserweight spots. Strike wars. The over use of the german suplex.

--------------------
free

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Opening match guys with music and gimmicks.

"Well, I need that to get over."

You know what David O. Russell would do to an extra on a film set who tried to "get over" at the expense of his star? HE WOULD KILL THEM.

bcthomas
Member # 125485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lack

of

realistic

punching

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The camera cutting to a different angle every 5-10 seconds.

Run in's with music.

Secret Backstage conversations where no one acknowledges the camera in their face.

Stephanie McMahon belittling everyone.

Part time guys who show up once or twice a year to get a nice payday and prime spot at Wrestlemania.

Repetitive promos (Enzo & Cass)

30 minute promos to open every show.

Champions who rarely show up and can't be bothered even for TV. Be a special attraction or whatever but shouldn't be champ.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:

Part time guys who show up once or twice a year to get a nice payday and prime spot at Wrestlemania.

This one I don't mind. In fact, I like this one a lot. And I like Brock not being on TV every week. The champ shouldn't always be around.
Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone has entrance music

very few of them seem larger than life

wrestlers look a lot rangier and a lot more emphasis on athleticism as opposed to looking like a bad ass (see Greg Valentine, Larry Hennig, Ivan Koloff, Bill Eadie)

Wrestling looks more like acrobatics with less holds and psychology

Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrestling programs that are broken off into segments like a variety show, instead of being broken up by advertisements when the action stops/ends, like a sporting event.

A scripted promo by a guy/gal who comes off as genuinely engaging/charismatic/funny in Network programming or social media, but stumbles and stutters over scripted dialogue.

The myth that the WWF writers room is populated by "Hollywood writers." Even the worst dreck on the edges of your extended cable package is 100x better written than WWE TV programs.

Wrestlers acting shocked when their opponent kicks out of move that has NEVER resulted in a pinfall.

Lazy whips in to the ropes/corner.

The flying-through-the-middle-ropes push. I don't care how loud you yell "TOPA SUICIDA!," the move seems stupid to me.

The lack of heels and faces. Why was Roman face against Rusev? Why was Randy face agaisnt Bray?

Most of all - the refusal to treat pro wrestling like a genuine sporting event. I miss checking the competitors for foreign objects before the match, discussion about the "winner's purse" during a match, strategic discussions about cardio and why a wrestler was bigger/smaller than the last time you saw him, etc...

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questioning/whining to the referee, playing emo frustration, commentators going 'how did he/she/it kick out of that' after every two count. This is epidemic in the indys *AND* WWE.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI
Member # 6360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rock-Hunter Kurt Austin from CHI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Cole.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Curt Injurker:

The flying-through-the-middle-ropes push. I don't care how loud you yell "TOPA SUICIDA!," the move seems stupid to me.

The only guy who is doing a meaningful dive at the moment is Austin Aries. He goes over the BOTTOM rope and it actually looks like he's killing the guy he hits.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

That goofy spot where the wrestler walks away from the female interviewer and she stares off in their direction like MLK just came back from the dead and said something profound.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wobbly backstage camera guy (and any wrestler who ignores it or treats it like it's not there and no one knows what's going on).

Wrestlers who wear gloves.

Sledgehammers.

Any jabroni gets a house mic.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Announcers talking about anything except what is going on in the ring.

Gloves.

Jeans and t-shirts as uniform.

Any form of dive out of the ring that requires catching setup and skill by the receiver, and that leaves both wrestlers groaning on the floor.

Divas in any form.

Women wrestling in a major organization where it's Divas doing a poor imitation of backyard wrestling and a Botchamania moment every five seconds.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

I don't like street clothes either, but...gloves?

Those are kinda cool. Mulligan? Lanza? Vader?

[ 05-15-2017, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it when wrestlers show up for interviews in wrestling gear for no apparent reason.

I also hate how the matches are SO choreographed now, like you can see the concentration on wrestlers faces as they remember what spot comes next.

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate that matches have to end with finishers. Why can't a guy win with a suplex or power slam sometime? Then when the finisher is applied it is more special.

Obviously in big main event matches you want to see the finisher win, but if AJ Styles is fighting Heath Slater then why can't he win with a move like a back breaker or sling shot?

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palmettopig:
I hate that matches have to end with finishers. Why can't a guy win with a suplex or power slam sometime? Then when the finisher is applied it is more special.

Obviously in big main event matches you want to see the finisher win, but if AJ Styles is fighting Heath Slater then why can't he win with a move like a back breaker or sling shot?

I remember when the Suplex or the Powerslam WERE finishers!

But I agree, a guy on the AJ Styles tier SHOULD be able/allowed to beat a guy on the Heath Slater tier with something other than his "signature maneuver".

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing George Gulas wont be running in to save Jimmy Golden any time soon

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

It used to be the exact opposite in the territory days. Everyone would beat the prelim guys on TV with their finisher, but then at the arena, the main eventers would usually find a way to counter the killer move (which pushed the whole "parity at the top level" thing). Then the match would end with some unexpected move (which pushed that the top guys knew how to "make adjustments").
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

I liked what All Japan did in the early '90s. They gave their pushed guys three finishers (a couple of sure fire pinning moves and a submission hold).
PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also: the incessant use of chops to the chest

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

The Duke of Bridgewater
Member # 24645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Duke of Bridgewater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrestlers not kicking out anymore. Instead, the pinning wrestler obviously lets them go.

Announcers telling the result a split-second after the ref called for the bell, even when the decision is not obvious. (Example: German suplex, both wrestlers' shoulders on the mat, ONE - TWO - THREE - referee calls for the bell. Announcer, without having any conversation with the referee: "For the first time XYZ Wrestling's history, we have a double pin. This match is a draw!") I know it's pre-determined, but you don't have to rub it into my face that way!

Also the babyface, after losing in the main event by unfair tactics, immediately grabbing the microphone and announcing a rematch with a special stipulation, on this exact date, at this exact place...

All wrestlers, except the one in the ring, gathering at ringside during a multi person match. Everyone knows what's next.

--------------------
Buy Shimmer, it will keep you straight!

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:

I also hate how the matches are SO choreographed now, like you can see the concentration on wrestlers faces as they remember what spot comes next.

This ties into one of mine: High Definition.
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
I liked what All Japan did in the early '90s. They gave their pushed guys three finishers (a couple of sure fire pinning moves and a submission hold).

I watched a good chunk of '93 recently and it seemed like half of the major pins came after two consecutive power bombs.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:

This ties into one of mine: High Definition.
Wouldn't be as bad if they'd rely more on hard camera shots and less on the handheld junk.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wait. The BIGGEST one---THE BACK PIN. Are they SERIOUS? This sucks worse than anything else.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Jay P. Punk
Member # 4082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay P. Punk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The camera work in WWE has bothered me for some time. Not that I prefer fixed camera per se but jerking the camera to accentuate a move etc. I don't like at all. It really takes away from the craft in my opinion.
I shop at One Stop
Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I shop at One Stop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Divas" with hair the color of a carnival troll doll and the BS mega eye lashes every single diva is required to wear.

--------------------
Where you buy it by the can or buy it by the case

Herd72
Member # 107695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herd72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
26 minutes of wrestling in a 3 hour episodic soap opera.
Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

It used to be the exact opposite in the territory days. Everyone would beat the prelim guys on TV with their finisher, but then at the arena, the main eventers would usually find a way to counter the killer move (which pushed the whole "parity at the top level" thing). Then the match would end with some unexpected move (which pushed that the top guys knew how to "make adjustments").
That's true. I just wish matches werent all under the same formula. If you can win with a suplex or DDT sometimes and not your finisher then matches seem less predictable as to when a guy will win

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Jay P. Punk:
The camera work in WWE has bothered me for some time. Not that I prefer fixed camera per se but jerking the camera to accentuate a move etc. I don't like at all. It really takes away from the craft in my opinion.

I hate that as well. Especially the way WWE does it. It's very distracting. I was very stunned, however, when looking back at this old episode of "World Wide Wrestling," that JCP did it too (as far back as 1979). But it wasn't as annoying. Go to 37:00 in and watch Flair as he starts dropping knees on Nick De Carlo's leg.

[ 05-15-2017, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Werdna
Member # 38248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Werdna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ya Taker doing it every year got old fast...I agree
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Raw last year, my first WWE non-PPV event in a decade, and the *superstars* would come out to the ring for a match, and then...commercial break. And the guys/girls would just stand there in the ring with the lights out until the show came back on. It completely killed the energy. You have two people come out and they get their pops and heat and the crowd's ready to see them go, and then we just watch them hang out in the ring until the commercials are done.

Really gave the whole night a "Raw was filmed in front of a live studio audience" feeling.

[ 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Robot Monster ]

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Champions who rarely show up and can't be bothered even for TV. Be a special attraction or whatever but shouldn't be champ.

Isn't this the more "traditional" way of doing it, though?
In 1987 Andre wrestled on TV like 3 times, including 2 PPVs and an SNME battle royal.
Same year, Hogan was champ and wrestled on TV less than 5 times if I'm not mistaken, including same 2 PPVs and SNME battle royal.

[ 05-15-2017, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Robot Monster ]

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a guy does a cobra clutch and instead of grabbing the wrist the two wrestlers grasp f*cking hands.

European shows with the fans singing stupid ass songs.

Sh*t promos.What promo is anyone gonna go back and watch from this era?ZERO.I can't even remember the last memorable, legendary type promo on tv to build to a specific match.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:

Isn't this the more "traditional" way of doing it, though?
In 1987 Andre wrestled on TV like 3 times, including 2 PPVs and an SNME battle royal.
Same year, Hogan was champ and wrestled on TV less than 5 times if I'm not mistaken, including same 2 PPVs and SNME battle royal.

Hogan might now have wrestled on TV every week but he was still a big part of the show. Brock has barely been mentioned since he won the belt nearly 2 months ago.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations