WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Anyone join the military because of a wrestler?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone join the military because of a wrestler?
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching Mid South 1982 and Dick Murdoch came out and Bill Watts mentioned how the fans salute him and he salutes back and that Murdoch will recruit some fans to the marine corp. So it got me thinking has anyone or anyone know someone that joined the military because of a pro wrestler whether they legit served or gimmick? I realize I doubt Murdoch actually tried to recruit anyone but someone wanting to be like him and young it made me think it's entirely possible his marine corp gimmick might have influenced someone.
IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God I hope not. I'd hate to think some poor kid died for Dick Cheney's profit margin because he thought Sgt. Slaughter's Cobra Clutch was cool.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously hope not either but I mean there were wrestlers who were larger than life and guys who used their past military experience or kayfabed it back in the 70s and 80s really might have left a lasting impression. I mean I never saw Duke the Dumpster and went "man I'd love to sling garbage someday" but the military gimmick usually was presented with such respect and toughness that I almost think when kayfabe was real strong some one might have.
sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one I encountered joined the military because of wrestling. I knew one guy who put in for orders for Japan because he was an Inoki fan.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never met anyone who joined because of that. The two biggest reasons that people joined were lack of jobs in their home area and for the GI Bill, to pay for college. After that you had travel, patriotism and family legacy. I knew plenty who watched wrestling; but, no one I encountered was that big a mark. When I was in, the crew watched a lot of Steven Seagal and JC Van Damme films; but, I don't think anyone joined because of that, either. We laughed our behinds off about how stupid and unrealistic Under Siege was (the crew has mostly been transferred but not the nukes? Uh, huh!)

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope not. It would be a pretty strange reason for joining the military.
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most that I knew who joined were offered a choice to get outa town or go to prison..

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heaven help us if so. Can't imagine anyone seeing a Sgt. Slaughter Boot Camp Match and thinking "I gotta be a Marine."

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of Greg Gagne I came to hate Rambo.

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought about it after Piper joined up with Cobra, but I couldn't find any recruiters in any of the malls I went to.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Frozen
Member # 10689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but because of Private Terry Daniels and Private Jim Nelson, I became more aware of my privates.

--------------------
"I was the first wrestler to come to the ring with music."

1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Army. Not because of anybody, but because I would have got drafted if I hadn't. I probably would have gotten drafted to the Army, but decided joining was a bit better.
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL:
No one I encountered joined the military because of wrestling. I knew one guy who put in for orders for Japan because he was an Inoki fan.

I could totally see doing something like that, as an afterthought, once you were in.

Like a soccer fan trying to get an assignment in England or Europe.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
quote:
Originally posted by sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL:

I could totally see doing something like that, as an afterthought, once you were in.

Like a soccer fan trying to get an assignment in England or Europe.

I once went on a trip to San Francisco because it coincided with an AWA Cow Palace show.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I served with a guy who requested to be stationed in Alameda because it was mentioned in Star Trek 4.Anyone who ever served at NAS Alameda will tell you that's as bad a reason as you can come up with .

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations