WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » When did Sonny Fargo quit officiating in JCP?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When did Sonny Fargo quit officiating in JCP?
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching the GAB '85, he was there. I was wondering when he faded away. Could not have been long after this. Seems like it became primarily Tommy Young, Pee Wee Anderson, Teddy Long, and the young African American guy, can't recall his name. Also, Dick Woehrle was there sometime around '86 or '87.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Watching the GAB '85, he was there. I was wondering when he faded away. Could not have been long after this. Seems like it became primarily Tommy Young, Pee Wee Anderson, Teddy Long, and the young African American guy, can't recall his name. Also, Dick Woehrle was there sometime around '86 or '87.

Woehrle mostly did the Philly and Baltimore shows. The young African American ref was Stephen Gregory. Scrappy McGowan came back as well.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

Woehrle mostly did the Philly and Baltimore shows. The young African American ref was Stephen Gregory. Scrappy McGowan came back as well.
That's right. Stephen Gregory! Wonder what became of him? Can't recall Scrappy coming back of the top of my head. SWJ, did Fargo become ill or something?

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you're right on the Sonny timeline. They phased Stu Schwartz out as well. Dunno if it was a mutual decision but I hated to see those guys go.

Remember, Earl & Dave Hebner started with JCP too and Earl was there right up until he started with Vince doing the "evil twin ref" thing.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

That's right. Stephen Gregory! Wonder what became of him? Can't recall Scrappy coming back of the top of my head. SWJ, did Fargo become ill or something?
Scrappy was there quite a bit between 1985 and 1987. Sonny had diabetes but I don't think he got really sick until the early '90s. Lost both his legs. Stu's still living. Down in Florida.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Mike Fever also did some reffing at this time.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Here's a show with Scrappy...

The Coach
Member # 6392

Now I think I recall he and I discussing that when he reffed for us in '04 and '05. I really couldn't envision it off the top of my head though.

--------------------

steuben
Member # 126350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steuben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stu Schrawtz looked like he could clean the clocks of many of the wrestlers if he wanted to, I always wondered if he had any background as a wrestler before putting on the stripes, does anybody here know?
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scrappy McGowan and Teddy Long eventually became the primary refs in the WTBS studio era of JCP from 1985 into early 1989. I don't recall seeing Tommy Young there much.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Nick Patrick start refereeing for JCP? Immediately after the TBS slot went to Crockett? Or after that? When did he transition from wrestler to referee?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
When did Nick Patrick start refereeing for JCP? Immediately after the TBS slot went to Crockett? Or after that? When did he transition from wrestler to referee?

I don't think Nick worked for Crockett during their TBS days, did he? He worked for them a bit while Jody was there (1983-85), first as a ref, then as Assassin #3, but I only recall him returning after the sale to Turner.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
Scrappy McGowan and Teddy Long eventually became the primary refs in the WTBS studio era of JCP from 1985 into early 1989. I don't recall seeing Tommy Young there much.

Tommy was there a bit...and Pee Wee. Mike Fever and Stephen Gregory were around more than people seem to recall. I think Earl mostly did the syndicated shows and the houses.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Nick Patrick was brought in early part of 1989.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations