WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » AWA April 4th 1976

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AWA April 4th 1976
oldguy
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a clipping from a matinee show at Carthage College from 1976. Carthage is located in Kenosha Wis.

Bob Duncan = Bob Duncum Sr.

-

IP: Logged
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked up Pampero Firpo.

So let me get this straight. When he was The Missing Link, he was in his mid-50s? He looked great at that age.

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was in his 30's when he made appearances as The Missing Link, and it wasn't a well known character. Dewey Robertson was the more famous Missing Link who appeared in the '80s in World Class and the WWF.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

daragaki
Member # 5806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daragaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was called "The Missing Link" in Hawaii during the '60s.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did AWA run split crews for house shows in smaller towns? I also see Crusher and Bruiser were the tag champs at the time, did Bruiser only work the big towns for Verne, leaving Crusher to team with other partners for the smaller shows?
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruiser definitely only worked the big towns. I'm honestly not entirely sure he even went to Minneapolis during his and Crushers last run with the tag belts.

Tamalie would know for sure, though.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

mr. waukegan #2
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. waukegan #2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
Did AWA run split crews for house shows in smaller towns? I also see Crusher and Bruiser were the tag champs at the time, did Bruiser only work the big towns for Verne, leaving Crusher to team with other partners for the smaller shows?

It would have been a 60 minute drive or so round trip for the Crusher.

This probably was a paid show because the AWA would only hit the Kenosha and Racine area once or twice a year as to avoid canabalizing the Milwaukee gate. When the AWA did run the area it was at a high school gym as I don't recall them ever running Carthage College anytime after this show.

That being said after the AWA demise various indy promoters would stage fundraiser shows well into the last decade at Carthage. I remember watching Leon Spinks work a boxing match with Bastion Booger at Carthage.

Gil Wilcox
Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
Bruiser definitely only worked the big towns. I'm honestly not entirely sure he even went to Minneapolis during his and Crushers last run with the tag belts.

I saw a Crusher singles match from AWA TV and Bruiser was his second, but I don't recall them teaming up for AWA TV during this run.
Chitown Rich
Member # 944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chitown Rich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:

The thing was that Bruiser & Crusher were WWA Champs at the same time and hitting Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne a lot.
They were here in Chicago almost every card and atthat time were drawing huge crowds here at The Amphitheatre.

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carthage College in Kenosha ran more AWA shows after this one. (Best one being when Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell were first two eliminated from an afternoon battle royal so they could make their night shot in Toronto). Sister city Racine ran at the HS Gyms, either Washington Park H.S. or Racine Horlick. They weren't paid shows when the AWA was a solid organization, just part of the normal spot show schedule like any other smaller city that promoter Dennis Hilgart held around the state.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During that 1975-76 tag team title run, Dick The Bruiser was on all or nearly all the Chicago cards and then turned up a fair bit in Milwaukee and somewhat as well in Denver, Green Bay, and Omaha. However, he only made it to the Twin Cities for one house show and never appeared at the studio TV tapings for WTCN-11.

[ 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations