WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » CWF - Ft. lauderdale May 14 1976

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CWF - Ft. lauderdale May 14 1976
oldguy
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a clipping from a show from 1976.

-

IP: Logged
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fat Back Brown? [Big Grin]

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at this show. It was my 2nd time going to the wrestling matches. First show I attended was about 5 months earlier at the same venue.... IIRC, King Cobra did not wrestle Bill Dromo. Bob Roop under a mask as The Gladiator wrestled Dromo... Roop had a "knee injury" and had a knee brace on and walked with a cane. He was at the Armory that night on behalf of the Orton's. While working the knee injury angle The Gladiator started appearing at arenas in Florida.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:
Fat Back Brown? [Big Grin]

Aka Bearcat IIRC. Matt Jewell. He kinda was more of a Fatback than a Bearcat...

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just looking at it as an outsider, although we had lived in Florida from '70-72, outside of the top 2 matches this does not look like what I am accustomed from CWF. Was there perhaps another show that night with the rest of the crew?

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Just looking at it as an outsider, although we had lived in Florida from '70-72, outside of the top 2 matches this does not look like what I am accustomed from CWF. Was there perhaps another show that night with the rest of the crew?

Ft. Lauderdale was a B show town every Friday night at this time. CWF ran Tallahassee with the rest of the crew on Fridays... Once in a great while they would do a Friday night Ft. Lauderdale Armory show that was a little more on the A show side of things like my 1st show I ever attended. It was about 5 months earlier and I am still trying to find an exact date for it. It was either Dec of '75 or Jan. '76. This was the card...
DUSTY RHODES VS. KING CURTIS
RIP HAWK & ROGER KIRBY VS. CYCLONE & OMAR NEGRO
THE DESTROYER (KILLER KOWALSKI) VS. JERRY BRISCO
BILLY ROBINSON VS. "THE ALASKAN" MIKE YORK
DINO BRAVO VS. "BEAUTIFUL" BRUCE SWAYZE
ABE JACOBS VS. ERWIN SMITH

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who was Igor Putski?
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
Who was Igor Putski?

Ivan Putski. Stole Garza's gimmick.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it wasn't. Same guy as Igor Bonnet, whoever he really was.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Tallahassee wasn't any hot **** that night either.

1 Jim Dalton vs. Mike Pappas
2 Abe Jacobs vs. Derrell Cochran
3 Ali Pasha vs. Hiro Matsuda
4 Bob Backlund vs. Geoff Portz
5 Challenge Match
The Assassin and Missouri Mauler vs. Bob Armstrong and Jerry Brisco

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Especially since Ali Pasha was Ron Pope.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Tallahassee wasn't any hot **** that night either.

1 Jim Dalton vs. Mike Pappas
2 Abe Jacobs vs. Derrell Cochran
3 Ali Pasha vs. Hiro Matsuda
4 Bob Backlund vs. Geoff Portz
5 Challenge Match
The Assassin and Missouri Mauler vs. Bob Armstrong and Jerry Brisco

That has to be one of the last time the Hamilton brothers teamed, right?
SHOOTER
Member # 26761

quote:

Some guy named Rick Ferrara. Total Mighty Igor rip off with the cut off long john's, hat, etc. Just like Ivan Putski was an Igor rip off for a while... Funny thing is that clipping has him listed as Igor Putski but he wrestled in Florida as Beepo Bonnet.
Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTER:
quote:

Some guy named Rick Ferrara. Total Mighty Igor rip off with the cut off long john's, hat, etc. Just like Ivan Putski was an Igor rip off for a while... Funny thing is that clipping has him listed as Igor Putski but he wrestled in Florida as Beepo Bonnet.
Ferrara wrestled quite a bit of low-card/enhancement for Crockett in the late 70s and early 80s. I think he also did a stint as a referee in Mid-South for a while, though I wouldn't swear to it.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. He worked for Watts too.

Ferrara teamed in prelims with Tony Russo for Crockett some. The original Russo & Ferrara.

oldguy
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali Pasha was Ron Pope? Ouch. Could someone as talented as Matsuda even get something out of that guy to resemble a decent match?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Ron Pope wearing gi pants with his head shaved.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations