WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Sports: What would it take to create a new major?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sports: What would it take to create a new major?
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my mom out to Mothers Day dinner and they had the Players Championship on tv at the restaurant and the announcer said something like "many consider this the unofficial fifth major." I am not a tennis or golf fan but it got me interested in why they've never made another "major?" You'd think eventually adding a fifth if certain criteria was met. Then I wondered if there was a criteria and if so what is it?
IP: Logged
Luke the Dumpster
Member # 126767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke the Dumpster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cant win a "Grand Slam", if there's five majors.

--------------------
"It's time to take out the trash"

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't you just win all five and that be the new definition of "Grand Slam"?

I've heard the Miami Masters called the 5th most prestigous tennis championship. But I would guess a tournament in China would become the 5th major if they ever made an official one.

Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it could happen for two reasons:

1) There is no monoculture anymore. If you're not an established entity outside the major sports (like the Masters or the Kentucky Derby), you can NOT be accepted on a large scale because there isn't a large scale sports consumer base, or a large scale media of sports generalists/columnists, to blow you up to that size.

2) Too much cynicism or skepticism in sports and the sports media for something to be accepted as a legit "major" these days. Look at how the conventional media called out the TPC when it adopted the "5th Major" moniker (and those guys worked for outlets that the PGA advertised in). What would the Deadspins and Big Leads of the world have to say about a branding move to create a 5th major? It would be roasted on Twitter before the press release even hit the newspapers.

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only speaking on golf as I that's all I know, I'm not sure that if the Masters hadn't already been established as a major, that the baggage/controversy of Augusta National's membership policy history would allow it to become host to anything more than another tournament on an exceptional course. Outside the USGA - US Open, Royal and Ancients - British Open, there are no other real "ruling bodies" in golf and outside the PGA - The PGA Championship - there are no real professional golf governing bodies. No mini-tours, no local/regional PGA tours/affiliates are going to start their own majors.
WahooFan
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WahooFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the players and the fans determine if it's a major. If the players prepare for it like a major (which they do) and the fans hold it higher than the other regular tournaments, then eventually it will get there. I think at first the TPC course was considered to be tricked up, but it's coming around. I think eventually it will be considered a major. Whether it should be one is another matter.
There really should only be 4 majors, and you're not going to get rid of the current 4. So the tour will do what they did with the Champions tour and eventually have 5 majors.
My problem with majors is that if you're going to count Bobby Jones's tournament wins as majors, then by default you have to include Jack and Tiger's and a host of others who have won the U.S. Amateur and British Amateur. I understand the competition later on may not have been as good as what Bobby had to face, but if you count it as a major for him, you have to count it as a major for others.

--------------------
Arnold Palmer: "Gary Player eats bacon when no one's watching."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations