WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Austin Idol and Jerry Lawler

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Austin Idol and Jerry Lawler
TheBob
Member # 123058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a look at a match that shocked a lot of people in Memphis. Austin Idol battling Jerry Lawler inside a steel cage in a hair vs. hair match. The outcome surprised many, but did it surprise you?

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/05/14/the-match-11-austin-idol-vs-jerry-lawler-in-memphis-87/

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was well done. I was getting Memphis at the time and it was a pretty hot deal.

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the things I liked was Bill Dundee came out and said even though they were friends at the time, he wished he was the one that got to shave Lawler's head.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
One of the things I liked was Bill Dundee came out and said even though they were friends at the time, he wished he was the one that got to shave Lawler's head.

you call that a shaved head? fans shoulda got their money back

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:
quote:

It was a nice, short trim. You wouldn't want to see the King having to run around bald now would you?

--------------------

DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

No matter how much heat this angle got and how well it was executed, this is exactly right. Even Lance Russell mentions in his commentary of the match that Lawler's personal barber was at ringside. Lawler basically got a huge payday to get a legit hair cut. Yes, it should have been shaved.
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DR. PAPUFNIK:
quote:
quote:

No matter how much heat this angle got and how well it was executed, this is exactly right. Even Lance Russell mentions in his commentary of the match that Lawler's personal barber was at ringside. Lawler basically got a huge payday to get a legit hair cut. Yes, it should have been shaved.
And then Lawler shoulda turned heel on the barber and shaved HIS head [Big Grin]

--------------------

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DR. PAPUFNIK:
quote:
quote:

And then Lawler shoulda turned heel on the barber and shaved HIS head [Big Grin]
didnt they "trim" dundee's wifes hair in an angle?

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure Beverly Dundee was shaved bald.
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
always thought that was stoopid.. Lawler gets a "trim" and she got shaved.. what was the reason behind her getting shaved?

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
always thought that was stoopid.. Lawler gets a "trim" and she got shaved.. what was the reason behind her getting shaved?

Lawler's haircut was almost a decade after hers. Dundee lost his hair in a previous match, then put up her hair against Lawler's in a match a week later in 1977.

[ 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: REO Speeddealer ]

cheapseats
Member # 20292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheapseats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to break it to some of you, but the fact that Lawler didn't go completely bald did NOTHING to diminish the drawing power of the angle.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Speaking of Bill's wife Beverly...

Looks like this was before the shavings started.

--------------------

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

quote:
Originally posted by cheapseats:
I hate to break it to some of you, but the fact that Lawler didn't go completely bald did NOTHING to diminish the drawing power of the angle.

I dont know if they had stated.... will not be shaved completely bald, i think a few may have stayed home

--------------------

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

This looks like Dundee here shortly after he got his head shaved in September 1977:

https://twitter.com/JerryLawler/status/863060167667134464/photo/1

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations