WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Rip Rogers critique of current indie wrestling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rip Rogers critique of current indie wrestling
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Every Indy match now: handshake, drawn out move exchange, this is awesome chant, strike exchange, dive, no sell Indy strongstyle, dive, more strikes, no sells, dive, flippy floppy sequence, dive, hit everyone with each other's finisher then Humpty Dumpty we all fall down. Fight forever chant, rinse and repeat until every move is useless and means nothing, dive, take unsafe shot that looks like sh*it and hurts like hell then roll up finish. Hand shake and hug after match. Everyone's hands raised. All these guys chant. Go home and type on social media thanking your opponents and company for the match and telling others they should book these guys........ dive."

[ 05-14-2017, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

IP: Logged
York Foundation
Member # 8307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for York Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is "fight forever" a popular chant now? I've seen it mentioned a few times the past couple months.
izzyslap1
Member # 126940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izzyslap1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess my old friend Rip has not been watching IACW [Smile]

Izzy

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by izzyslap1:

Izzy

Maybe you should put out a challenge to him [Wink]

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should be pointed out that Rip didn't actually write that. He simply "re-tweeted" it and agreed with it.

Since then it's become a bit of a twitter war. Randy Orton of jumped in and agreed. Other notable names have weighed in on it too.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently it was actually written by Daniel Iurincic, who is, himself, a current indie worker out of Ontario who goes by the name Daniel "D-Man" Parker (and yes, he does dives).
Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:
quote:

Izzy

Do it on twitter and he'll block you lol. Anyone who didn't quite agree with his stance last night (and were disagreeing nicely most of them) he'd call a mark and block immediately lol..

BTW, Randy Orton is a real *******..

[ 05-15-2017, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Kilroy ]

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it when guys like Orton forget their roots and act as if they're better than that once they've hit the big time. He's a solid but fairly boring worker with zero charisma.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://twitter.com/Goldust/status/863927692562923520

Since we can't embed here, check that out..tweet of the night last night [Big Grin]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS:
I love it when guys like Orton forget their roots and act as if they're better than that once they've hit the big time. He's a solid but fairly boring worker with zero charisma.

I'll never understand the criticism of Orton. Guy is as good as it gets in my book.

And I still say the word "charisma" is the most overused phrase in wrestling (and that the modern definition is dictated by Vince McMahon/Kevin Dunn's "miscasting"). If you cast Vin Diesel in an Adam Sandler role, he'd come off as "uncharismatic" too. All wrestlers are basically just doing Vince McMahon's line-readings and body motions in 2017. Even the ones who don't work for him (since WWE sets the standard and gets passed down to the indies where everyone "works on their charisma").

It's not Orton, it's the presentation. If the presentation shifted, what Orton does would make more sense contextually. He's one of the most focused, "in the moment" guys working. He doesn't do 37 things that make no sense. And he hits his one big spot as the climax. If you're gonna bring a bazooka to the ring to blow somebody's head off, make sure it's the finisher and not a transition spot.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWE matches aren't formula?

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Kilroy
Member # 53

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS:

I'll never understand the criticism of Orton. Guy is as good as it gets in my book.

And I still say the word "charisma" is the most overused phrase in wrestling (and that the modern definition is dictated by Vince McMahon/Kevin Dunn's "miscasting"). If you cast Vin Diesel in an Adam Sandler role, he'd come off as "uncharismatic" too. All wrestlers are basically just doing Vince McMahon's line-readings and body motions in 2017. Even the ones who don't work for him (since WWE sets the standard and gets passed down to the indies where everyone "works on their charisma").

It's not Orton, it's the presentation. If the presentation shifted, what Orton does would make more sense contextually. He's one of the most focused, "in the moment" guys working. He doesn't do 37 things that make no sense. And he hits his one big spot as the climax. If you're gonna bring a bazooka to the ring to blow somebody's head off, make sure it's the finisher and not a transition spot.

Whether it's Orton or just the presentation, he's always been a channel changer for me..dude just bores the hell out of me..I get that he's good but I just don't care at all about him or his character..
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy Orton is one of the best in the business today. Completely well rounded.

With that said, he's been on WWE TV for more than 15 years now with a few minor breaks. Not many can become a tad tiresome with that type of run.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

izzyslap1
Member # 126940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izzyslap1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy:
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:
quote:

Izzy

Do it on twitter and he'll block you lol. Anyone who didn't quite agree with his stance last night (and were disagreeing nicely most of them) he'd call a mark and block immediately lol..

BTW, Randy Orton is a real *******..

Oh I agree with what he is saying, my point was that if he was watching IACW (and I do send him our You Tube links via FB) he would be seeing wrestling exactly the way he , and I believe it should be.

Izzy

York Foundation
Member # 8307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for York Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy Orton coming with some hot banter at Bubba Dudley on Twitter

-

Werdna
Member # 38248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Werdna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dickish Orton heel has been the only time I've liked him. And its apparent it comes natural to him...No wonder it was so realistic.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bully Ray Opens Up About Randy Orton Twitter Debacle

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/bully-ray-randy-orton-dive-interview/#.WRsACRSGOpo

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

izzyslap1
Member # 126940

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
Randy Orton is one of the best in the business today. Completely well rounded.

With that said, he's been on WWE TV for more than 15 years now with a few minor breaks. Not many can become a tad tiresome with that type of run.

AMEN, Matt

Izzy

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That tweet from Orton to Buh-Buh is the first thing he's done that I've enjoyed.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Now on the twitter machine - @Armageddon_t

Secret Agent X
Member # 23543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secret Agent X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orton might be a good worker but to me he just a guy whom if I see on TV I change the channel. I do not care if he "beats" someone up or gets "beat up", he is someone I have zero interest in one way or the other.

I would much rather watch a older guy like Dudley who has some personality which makes me want to root for or against him.

[ 05-16-2017, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Secret Agent X ]

Shlocko, Lord of Darkness
Member # 1853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shlocko, Lord of Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always said that Orton is a guy that would have benefited from there being a second "major league" promotion a la WCW to jump to for a few years to freshen up. He's been wrestling the same match, as the same character for most of the last decade and a half.

He was never that over to begin with, outside of a few hot moments, and the longer he keeps up this act (which doesn't change at all, no matter whether he's a heel or a face) the more bored people will get with him.

I would have loved to have seen him jump to New Japan for a few years about five years ago, but I don't think he's motivated enough to have succeeded there.

--------------------
Shlocko

"My days of underestimating you are definitely coming to a middle."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations