WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Would Andre have ever done business with anyone taller than himself?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would Andre have ever done business with anyone taller than himself?
Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe that there was any talent who was taller than Andre during the time he was around. Perhaps Silo Sam, but he was more of a short term attraction and minor performer, so was hard to take seriously.

Since Andre though there have been at least half a dozen wrestlers as tall if not taller than him. Would he have worked with them had they been around in his prime? Would he have even tried to stop them coming into the same promotion?

[ 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Widow Maker ]

IP: Logged
timbo_slice
Member # 20992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbo_slice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read Andre was told never to pose for pictures with anyone taller than him, plus he never liked real tall guys because they took away from his mystique so I think he wouldn't be happy working with guys noticeably taller than him.
awafan
Member # 63901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awafan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably depends on the money to be made and the booking.
Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he worked with Ernie Ladd and he was as tall, some say taller, than Andre though he kept a sort of hunched over position to look smaller than he actually was.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

SteveB
Member # 1785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie Ladd talks about Andre's height:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjpbMx2RNlA

--------------------
Steve

SteveB
Member # 1785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out their heights at 1:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apl_176Klhs

--------------------
Steve

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know word is he didn't really like him but Andre worked alot with Studd and Studd was on par with Andre.Baba too for that matter.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He didn't like Stan Frazier and made McMahon pay him main event money to show up to Uncle Elmer's wedding.

[ 05-14-2017, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: diamondmd ]

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you imagine the Andre/El Gigante 12 star classic?
Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He worked a tag match with Baba against the Giant Warrior/Butch Masters in Japan (and teamed with Tyler Mayne who is also pretty tall). Warrior is a bit taller than Baba, and Andre is a bit taller than Warrior even after he was so broken down.
Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw Dick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveB:
Check out their heights at 1:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apl_176Klhs

Ladd sold like a MFer. Certainly sold better than anyone else remotely close to his size... Putting Andre's height over was yet another shining example of it. Which is probably why (along with the $$$$$$) Andre tolerated conducting buisness with The Cat.

All of the above imho , of course...

[ 05-14-2017, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Dick ]

--------------------
"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk"

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andre just looked miserable his last few years in the ring.

Had he lasted a little longer, he'd probably have suffered more indignation like being humped by the Yeti.

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was 6-9 Ernie Ladd's actual height?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Someone from Rwanda:
Andre just looked miserable his last few years in the ring.

Had he lasted a little longer, he'd probably have suffered more indignation like being humped by the Yeti.

Only if he survived the fall from the top of the Joe Louis Arena.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ernie kayfabing till the end. Ernie bent his knees while Andre stood up straight. And I think Andre's afro had a good four inches on Ernie's.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz Hunter's Boyfriend:
Was 6-9 Ernie Ladd's actual height?

Yes. If he hadn't played pro football where it was so public, I bet wrestling would've billed him as seven foot though.

[ 05-15-2017, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Rob from IA ]

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

Ernie kayfabing till the end. Ernie bent his knees while Andre stood up straight. And I think Andre's afro had a good four inches on Ernie's.
There's a Mid-South match with Andre/Dusty/JYD vs Ladd/Afa/Sika where Ladd appears to be slightly taller than Andre to me.
Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How tall was Chuck Wepner? Wikipedia says 6'5'', though some have said he was 6'7''.

From their match it doesn't look like Andre is that much taller than him, though it was tough to tell with that giant poof of hair Andre had back then.

Maybe before age and the back injuries, Andre was about 6'10''?

[ 05-16-2017, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Someone from Rwanda ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Wilt Chamberlain was a legit 7'1" tall. Here he is next to Andre:

-

--------------------

Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wilt Chamberlain was a legit 7'1" tall. Here he is next to Andre:

-

Arnold looks to be about 5-11.
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Ladd was SO much about doing what made for best business, much more than people at that time realized. He probably came up with every way to compromise his own physicality to make Andre still seem as attraction-like big before anyone there brought it up.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Yak-yak-yak-yak! He wasn't no big dummy, Mr. Message Board Poster!

--------------------

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Someone from Rwanda:
How tall was Chuck Wepner?

With or without stepping on someones toes? [Wink]

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yak-yak-yak-yak! He wasn't no big dummy, Mr. Message Board Poster!

Ha ha! I would have given anything to have been called a big dummy by The Big Cat!

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if Ernie Ladd is putting Andre over to keep up the mystique or not but in the match, they looked fairly even sized with maybe an inch difference at most, if that much.

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations