WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Giveaways/tipoffs that someone can't fight worth a damn (Page 1)

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Giveaways/tipoffs that someone can't fight worth a damn
Vulture
Member
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever look at someone and just get the impression they would be worthless in a fight? I know they say you can't judge a book by it's cover and that there's exceptions to every rule, but in my estimation it's a little easier to tell that someone *can't fight* than to tell by looking at them that they can.

Example, look at Kevin Nash in his matches. He's always standing straight up, knees locked. I realize this is partly to accentuate his height. He looks big and imposing and tough in the cartoon bully sense.

But he never moves like a fighter and never gets into any fighting stance or in a fighting crouch. People with real fighting ability have a way of snapping into their own brand of legwork. A boxer might "get on his bicycle" and dance around, a wrestler (and you see this in Scott Steiner matches) might circle and shoot in and use their footwork and leg strength to dive in and crouch down and go for takedowns (or to feint like they are about to).

Another guy that reminds me of Nash is Grizzly Smith. And this is just going by his photos, but he's always standing in the most lazy lethargic looking way. I would venture a guess that Nash and Smith weren't going to be giving anyone with fighting skills any problems in a shoot.

I know pro wrestling is not a shoot, but when you see wrestlers with known fighting ability work a match, you can still see that fighting movement shine through from time to time. And with others, it's hard to imagine them being able to handle themselves very well at all.

IP: Logged
Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow Haystacks Calhoun came to mind. Everything he did seemed so lackadaisical and lacking in impact.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games


Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess Dusty would have been no good in a fight. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I dunno. I remember one time he was going down the aisle to the ring and somebody snatched his pork pie hat. He wheeled around and snatched it back in way less time than it took you to get to 'wheeled'. I wouldn't wanna **** with a guy that big and that quick.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
JJ Bklyn42
Member
Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ Bklyn42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS:
Somehow Haystacks Calhoun came to mind. Everything he did seemed so lackadaisical and lacking in impact.

That was a big part of his gimmick, though. Laid-back, friendly country boy who only wanted to do a little scufflin' with ya. And the other part of it was being the quintessential immovable object -- the only ways an opponent could ever get an advantage was rake his eyes, stomp his feet, or steal his good-luck horseshoe.

Of course, those were fighting skills only in the kayfabe universe.

--------------------
"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives" - Jack Roosevelt Robinson

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

IP: Logged
Tatsuya
Member
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Semi-related....

I was skipping rope in the studio of my gym one day and this dude walks in with his hoodie on. There's one heavy bag already hanging and he sets another on the ground. He cranks on some hardcore rap on the gym stereo (which kinda annoyed me) and then puts a towel over his head, sits on the bag he set on the floor, hangs his head down and does the psyching up bit that some fighters do.

I was thinking this guy is either really good or a real goof.

It was the latter. He hit the bag like a spaz....total arm punches and his "ground and pound" was just as comical

Had to admit, I couldn't hold back a chuckle.

I mean, it's a good workout and if he hadn't gone through this ritual like he's a badass, I wouldn't have paid no mind.

IP: Logged
Vulture
Member
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
Semi-related....

I was skipping rope in the studio of my gym one day and this dude walks in with his hoodie on. There's one heavy bag already hanging and he sets another on the ground. He cranks on some hardcore rap on the gym stereo (which kinda annoyed me) and then puts a towel over his head, sits on the bag he set on the floor, hangs his head down and does the psyching up bit that some fighters do.

I was thinking this guy is either really good or a real goof.

It was the latter. He hit the bag like a spaz....total arm punches and his "ground and pound" was just as comical

Had to admit, I couldn't hold back a chuckle.

I mean, it's a good workout and if he hadn't gone through this ritual like he's a badass, I wouldn't have paid no mind.

LOL

Along those lines, this random fat guy whose picture I got at some point off the internet from reddit cringepics.

 -

Between the knives and the pose he looks like he thinks if he just wishes really hard it will make him the badass he imagines himself to be. Anything but, ya know, actually putting in the work.

IP: Logged
Pillsbury
Member
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind that he's a slob.He could've cleaned that deck before sending a picture out to the world.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

IP: Logged
KobashiChop
Member
Member # 78522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KobashiChop         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I'd guess Dusty would have been no good in a fight. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

The Dream?

BS you ain't seen too many fights.

He has big, fast, agile, and pretty athletic by most accounts. Give me someone with those attributes any day. Attributes win fights especially old fashioned street brawls.

IP: Logged
Kev McGrath
Member
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty had a rep in the 70s as a guy who really could fight.
IP: Logged
UCW SLAM
Member
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about guys who have a skill set to perform well at MMA or street fighting? I'd put my money on all the guys mentioned in a street fight against some random drunk on a Saturday night. Just being a pro wrestler takes a level of toughness most people don't possess. If you can take a punch or two and not cower you can win most bar fights even with few fighting skills. Most people in the US today, in the younger generations, have never been in a real fight and would probably react poorly.
IP: Logged
Vulture
Member
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UCW SLAM:
Are you talking about guys who have a skill set to perform well at MMA or street fighting? I'd put my money on all the guys mentioned in a street fight against some random drunk on a Saturday night. Just being a pro wrestler takes a level of toughness most people don't possess. If you can take a punch or two and not cower you can win most bar fights even with few fighting skills. Most people in the US today, in the younger generations, have never been in a real fight and would probably react poorly.

Relative to someone else in their social environment or milieu. Like Kevin Nash would be rated relative to those in WCW or pro wrestling at that time. The fat dude with knives, we can say in a street fight.
IP: Logged
Abdullah The Pastry Chef from TN
Member
Member # 3001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abdullah The Pastry Chef from TN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give away that someone can't fight. Someone who has trouble getting into the ring. See Gulas, George.

--------------------
When news breaks, we fix it.

IP: Logged
PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly, Shawn Michaels is the answer to the question here. A true shooter.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

IP: Logged
Norrin Radd
Member
Member # 78547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norrin Radd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The truest giveaway that someone can't fight is by the amount his/her mouth moves.

--------------------
“If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.” - Lyndon Baines Johnson

IP: Logged
Pillsbury
Member
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Norrin Radd:
The truest giveaway that someone can't fight is by the amount his/her mouth moves.

Like Ali.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

IP: Logged
Knoxvillain
Member
Member # 122943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knoxvillain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KobashiChop:
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I'd guess Dusty would have been no good in a fight. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

The Dream?

BS you ain't seen too many fights.

He has big, fast, agile, and pretty athletic by most accounts. Give me someone with those attributes any day. Attributes win fights especially old fashioned street brawls.

Agree, Dream was 300lbs and a helluva athlete. He played college football, got a tryout with the Patriots and played in the CFL.
IP: Logged
Outlaw Dick
Member
Member # 128734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw Dick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the guy... He's a legend... But...

Watch and observe Clint Eastwood throw down in "Every Which Way But Loose"/"Any Which Way You Can"...

--------------------
"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk"

IP: Logged
Widow Maker
Member
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulture:
Ever look at someone and just get the impression they would be worthless in a fight? I know they say you can't judge a book by it's cover and that there's exceptions to every rule, but in my estimation it's a little easier to tell that someone *can't fight* than to tell by looking at them that they can.

Example, look at Kevin Nash in his matches. He's always standing straight up, knees locked. I realize this is partly to accentuate his height. He looks big and imposing and tough in the cartoon bully sense.

But he never moves like a fighter and never gets into any fighting stance or in a fighting crouch. People with real fighting ability have a way of snapping into their own brand of legwork. A boxer might "get on his bicycle" and dance around, a wrestler (and you see this in Scott Steiner matches) might circle and shoot in and use their footwork and leg strength to dive in and crouch down and go for takedowns (or to feint like they are about to).

Another guy that reminds me of Nash is Grizzly Smith. And this is just going by his photos, but he's always standing in the most lazy lethargic looking way. I would venture a guess that Nash and Smith weren't going to be giving anyone with fighting skills any problems in a shoot.

I know pro wrestling is not a shoot, but when you see wrestlers with known fighting ability work a match, you can still see that fighting movement shine through from time to time. And with others, it's hard to imagine them being able to handle themselves very well at all.

Depends who they are fighting right? Nash was in a few backstage fights including with Piper and Pierre. He usually got the better of them. Though he would not have fared well against Lesnar or Meng, against most others he was large and strong enough to be formidable. Sid was someone who to me looked like he could not throw a punch, mat wrestle or use his legs very well, but he is another one like Nash with freakish strength and size, not be taken lightly. I would guess that among most rosters Sid was in, there would be at least a dozen others who could easily handle him, but at the same time the a good portion of the talent would not have wanted to gotten close.

Everyone in wrestling has something which got them there. Size, strength, speed, agility, high tolerance for pain. Even just the ability to survive an alpha male environment. So none of them should be taken lightly. But again we have to ask who in this imaginary scenario are they fighting? Bruce Lee? Muhammed Ali? Brock Lesnar or Mr Average Joe?

[ 05-15-2017, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Widow Maker ]

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Knoxvillain:
quote:
Originally posted by KobashiChop:
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I'd guess Dusty would have been no good in a fight. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

The Dream?

BS you ain't seen too many fights.

He has big, fast, agile, and pretty athletic by most accounts. Give me someone with those attributes any day. Attributes win fights especially old fashioned street brawls.

Agree, Dream was 300lbs and a helluva athlete. He played college football, got a tryout with the Patriots and played in the CFL.
Believe his main sport was baseball. Bullrider, too.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
davephlegmball
Member
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Dick:
I love the guy... He's a legend... But...

Watch and observe Clint Eastwood throw down in "Every Which Way But Loose"/"Any Which Way You Can"...

I am not sure what this means.
IP: Logged
Vulture
Member
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Widow Maker:
quote:
Originally posted by Vulture:
Ever look at someone and just get the impression they would be worthless in a fight? I know they say you can't judge a book by it's cover and that there's exceptions to every rule, but in my estimation it's a little easier to tell that someone *can't fight* than to tell by looking at them that they can.

Example, look at Kevin Nash in his matches. He's always standing straight up, knees locked. I realize this is partly to accentuate his height. He looks big and imposing and tough in the cartoon bully sense.

But he never moves like a fighter and never gets into any fighting stance or in a fighting crouch. People with real fighting ability have a way of snapping into their own brand of legwork. A boxer might "get on his bicycle" and dance around, a wrestler (and you see this in Scott Steiner matches) might circle and shoot in and use their footwork and leg strength to dive in and crouch down and go for takedowns (or to feint like they are about to).

Another guy that reminds me of Nash is Grizzly Smith. And this is just going by his photos, but he's always standing in the most lazy lethargic looking way. I would venture a guess that Nash and Smith weren't going to be giving anyone with fighting skills any problems in a shoot.

I know pro wrestling is not a shoot, but when you see wrestlers with known fighting ability work a match, you can still see that fighting movement shine through from time to time. And with others, it's hard to imagine them being able to handle themselves very well at all.

Depends who they are fighting right? Nash was in a few backstage fights including with Piper and Pierre. He usually got the better of them. Though he would not have fared well against Lesnar or Meng, against most others he was large and strong enough to be formidable. Sid was someone who to me looked like he could not throw a punch, mat wrestle or use his legs very well, but he is another one like Nash with freakish strength and size, not be taken lightly. I would guess that among most rosters Sid was in, there would be at least a dozen others who could easily handle him, but at the same time the a good portion of the talent would not have wanted to gotten close.

Everyone in wrestling has something which got them there. Size, strength, speed, agility, high tolerance for pain. Even just the ability to survive an alpha male environment. So none of them should be taken lightly. But again we have to ask who in this imaginary scenario are they fighting? Bruce Lee? Muhammed Ali? Brock Lesnar or Mr Average Joe?

From what I read the Pierre fight never happened. They exchanged words but never came to blows.

The Piper fight consisted of a Nash slap and Piper going for and missing a single leg takedown or something before there was a pull apart.

And yes everything is relative, and Nash is probably strong and intimidating despite his bad knees. But he still doesn't seem like he would get the upper hand in a fight with an average pro wrestler that didn't end in a pull apart.

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of off the subject yet on; if you have people that tell you how bad they are and how they can fight, generally can't.

[ 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

IP: Logged
Salvatore M
Member
Member # 128735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salvatore M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from my understanding a true giveaway that someone can't fight is their willingness to get in a fight


every LEGIT tough guy I know wants to avoid fighting by all means necessary

--------------------
Aloha from Albany, NY

IP: Logged
King Francis
Member
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the tougher they are online, the weaker they are in person

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cliches be flyin up in here. See a lotta people never spent any time in a fight gym.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 


Tell me some more about how guys who talk sh*t aren't 'LEGIT tough guys'.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FIGHTERS talk sh*t ALL THE TIME. And like I just SHOWED you, some of the BADDEST bad asses talk the MOST sh*t.

[ 05-16-2017, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now back to Fairy Tale Hour.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
King Francis
Member
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a couple of 7th graders, but to each their own

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah? Well who it is, is two of THE BADDEST M*THERF*CKERS IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET, so so much for your little theories.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
King Francis
Member
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey what ever floats your boat, if it impresses you that they talk tough, good for you

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you really resist education. Let's review.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HE said:
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Kind of off the subject yet on; if you have people that tell you how bad they are and how they can fight, generally can't.



--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you and this guy piled on:

quote:
Originally posted by Salvatore M:
from my understanding a true giveaway that someone can't fight is their willingness to get in a fight


every LEGIT tough guy I know wants to avoid fighting by all means necessary

quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
the tougher they are online, the weaker they are in person



[ 05-17-2017, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I then I showed you two of the ACTUAL TOUGHEST GUYS AND BEST FIGHTERS IN THE WORLD (the IMPRESSIVE part), proving you're all parroting baby stories.

But hey, like you say, whatever flips your skirt. Hope it's comforting when some guy who talk sh*t beats you silly.

[ 05-17-2017, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silli-ER.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't you from Detroit? I hear they got some actual fight gyms there. Go hang out and listen and get back to us.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
King Francis
Member
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whatever you think makes someone tough is good for you, no issue here. I have a different view..

I haven't been to the new Kronk gym (cant see it being the same as the old one), especially without Steward..

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is about who can and can't fight. If you're gonna sit there and decide JON F'N JONES and DANIEL F'N CORMIER can't fight because they talk sh*t, nobody can help you.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3