WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Best Looking Championship Belt ( That Wasn't A World Title) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Looking Championship Belt ( That Wasn't A World Title)
Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite was the US title belt that was held by Magnum and Nikita.
IP: Logged
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watts' North American title belt.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May be deemed hokie by some, but I liked JCP's World Televison Championship belt.

[ 05-12-2017, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The U.S. title Lex won from Nikita and the IC title held by Santana,Savage,Steamboat,etc.

Honorable mention to the red US tag titles.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USA Wrestling/Knoxville North American belt.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

jorjorbynks
Member # 12312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jorjorbynks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked the NWA/WCW United States Tag Team title belts.

--------------------
Pro Wrestling is neither real nor fake. It's magic!

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ridiculously huge one, was that the North American? I think Magnum had it. The size gave it some gravitas, I thought.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
May be deemed hokie by some, but I liked JCP's World Televison Championship belt.

Was that the one with red colors. If so, that's mine too.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all need to get more specific. You're mentioning TITLES. You need to show (or describe) which belt or no one knows what you're talking about. All these titles were represented by different belts over the years.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF IC Belt mid to late 80s.

-

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I talked to a friend in Toronto. They worked at the comic store the Silver Snail...a Toronto mainstay.

During his run, CM Punk went into the store. When my friend was offered to hold the belt, they exclaimed "What a beautiful belt!"

CM Punk quickly corrected them with "It's a championship!"

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
That ridiculously huge one, was that the North American? I think Magnum had it. The size gave it some gravitas, I thought.

Yes, that's the one.

https://wcwrules4lyf.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/reed_nahc.jpg?w=290&h=298

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
quote:

Yes, with the TV network logos.
 -

[ 05-12-2017, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the NWA TV Title belt shown in the post above much more after Tully Blanchard won it in late 1986 and the red leather was replaced with black, but the plates either remained the same or were recreated with the red paint.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This TV belt was perfect aesthetically.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This version of the Mid South NA belt was not heavy on design, just had simple plates. Even in the 70s it didn't look special in comparison to other iconic belts like the WWWF winged eagles, NWA World and big AWA belt.
 -

Watts made up for anything the previous belt lacked buy getting this huge belt that dwarfed anything before or since (it looks even bigger than the 'Andre' belt). The design was elevated with unconventional shaped plates.
 -

I felt the UWF belt was a step down from the NA. Not ugly or anything although I felt the 'UWF' logo should not have been painted-- it was a great branding visual. It was again big but perhaps downsized so it could fit in the champion's car trunk. Again, Watts' belt took a different approach with the overall shape. This particular belt seems to have influenced a lot of other wrestling, MMA and boxing belts in the subsequent years, not quite to Big Goldy levels but still an underrated influence.
 -

[ 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ganja ]

--------------------
---

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
I liked the NWA TV Title belt shown in the post above much more after Tully Blanchard won it in late 1986 and the red leather was replaced with black, but the plates either remained the same or were recreated with the red paint.

Don't recall it being re-leathered. The National belt was pretty identical in design (minus the TV network logos) and that was on black.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:

I felt the UWF belt was a step down from the NA. Not ugly or anything although I felt the 'UWF' logo should not have been painted-- it was a great branding visual. It was again big but perhaps downsized so it could fit in the champion's car trunk. Again, Watts' belt took a different approach with the overall shape. This particular belt seems to have influenced a lot of other wrestling, MMA and boxing belts in the subsequent years, not quite to Big Goldy levels but still an underrated influence.

Good points about the branding. Trying to think. I can't remember any belt ever actually carrying the official company logo before this one. A lot of belts had "NWA" or "AWA" on them but I don't recall ever seeing the logo that was used in TV openings or print ads etched on them.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Western States Championship belt was pretty nice. Even if it didn't make much sense.

-

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of mine are already mentioned.

IC title held by Savage, Steamboat, Honky, Warrior all the way until Austin, Rock.

WWF Tag Titles held by Demolition, Harts, LOD, etc.

NWA TV title red version with all the station logos.

NWA US title held by Luger, etc that was destroyed by Nikita in 1991.

NWA US Tag Team titles. The "USA" in the three colors just popped really well with the red backing.

And honorable mention I liked the UWF TV Title from Herb Abrams held by Doc with the SportsChannel America logo on it.

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
The Western States Championship belt was pretty nice. Even if it didn't make much sense.

-

That's a gorgeous belt.

--------------------
---

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I am unsure when it replaced the red leather but here is the tv title with black leather. I think that Tully was the first without red but unsure.

-

https://wcwworldwide.tumblr.com/post/69544192784/rick-steiner-nwa-world-television-champion

[ 05-12-2017, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Jm ]

Hulk1
Member # 67718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hulk1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

Hulk1
Member # 67718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hulk1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the one
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Was it re-leathered or did they just apply acrylic paint to the first strap? Note the back is still red.
Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the belts I would have mentioned have already been mentioned.

So let me put forward the WWE UK Championship belt which IMHO is a really good looking belt and is not a World Title as per OP.

-

--------------------
Please SUBSCRIBE to my GamesNew2Me video game YouTube channel. YouTube.com/GamesNew2Me

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

I'm partial to this one...mostly because I designed it. Well...me and the ancient Mayans. And the ancient Dave Millicans.

-

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go with Brawler 2711, the IC Belt is a thing of beauty.
CoachG from MS
Member # 126481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoachG from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be partial to the Mid-South/UWF territory because it was my home area, but I thought all of the belts they had commissioned when they changed to the UWF looked fantastic and had unique designs that I hadn't seen before. And this is coming from a person who took empty shoe boxes and turned them into wrestling belts as a kid!
SLS
Member # 265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top 5

Watts UWF TV Title

Western states title

World class title late 80s

Lawlers Unified title

Florida state title late 80s

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

Good points about the branding. Trying to think. I can't remember any belt ever actually carrying the official company logo before this one. A lot of belts had "NWA" or "AWA" on them but I don't recall ever seeing the logo that was used in TV openings or print ads etched on them.
The WWF logo belts came first.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

This is the first WWF logo belt I remember. When did it debut?

-

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

The IC belt design (that is still being used today) came along in 1986 (the same year the UWF belt debuted). That was the first IC belt with a WWF logo.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Found pics of Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake with WWF logos on the tag belts so those definitely debuted before the UWF strap.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
This is the first WWF logo belt I remember. When did it debut?

-

Late 1985 sometime around October/November.

Tito was the first to wear the classic IC belt design.

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tito began wearing the IC belt with the WWF logo shortly after winning it from Greg Valentine in July 1985. Valentine smashed up the old one after losing the title and belt in a cage match, forcing a replacement belt.
Jonbek1
Member # 4726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonbek1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This version of the Mid South NA belt was not heavy on design, just had simple plates. Even in the 70s it didn't look special in comparison to other iconic belts like the WWWF winged eagles, NWA World and big AWA belt.
 -

I liked that belt for the NA title really better than the new one they made. I also liked the one Akbar had when Watts took his belt to FL/GA in the mid-70s. It had round plates.

--------------------
"All you people out there in TV land get on your phones and call somebody. You tell them that the 'Big Cat' Ernie Ladd is coming to town." Ernie Ladd, MidSouth Wrestling 1980-82.

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Not Hokie at all. The belt Arn and Tully held was awesome and seemed to mean something from 85-88

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also liked the Mid Atlantic Championship belt that JCP had around 85. The one Black Bart and Sam Houston feuded over

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport

Knoxvillain
Member # 122943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knoxvillain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hulk1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

Here I thought I was the only one who loved this belt.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations