WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Hogan vs Fujinami - 84 I think

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hogan vs Fujinami - 84 I think
Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood Hoagie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a bad effort by Hogan here. He's not terribly fluid but he's pretty good.

IP: Logged
SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know they had a match against each other in Japan in 1985. It's possible they had a match in '84 too... Either way it was a good match. It seemed Hogan certainly wrestled a different style over there. He did have some other good matches over there also.

[ 05-12-2017, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: SHOOTER ]

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the 1985 match with Hodge as the special ref. Hogan and Vince thought something may be up that night since it was near the end of their relationship, and they had Hodge ref it to make sure nothing funny happened. They literally grabbed him shortly before the match to do it, which may explain why his ref attire isn't the usual lol. Hogan told the whole story on Jericho's podcast, pretty interesting.

Hulk and Fujinami also had a really good match again in 1994.

Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood Hoagie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Schnikes! I didn't even recognize Hodge.

Hogan's work was certainly ok until he got to WCW. I can name on one hand the number of matches he had in WCW that were good. Even his late WWF stuff started to get bad.

Hogan was pretty good when he had to be. He moved well for a large man and he could do some stuff. Unfortunately the gulf between this physical, more technical side and his simple moveset with gimmicky stuff was pretty big. IMO he should have tried to find a better middle ground.

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hoagie:
Schnikes! I didn't even recognize Hodge.

Hogan's work was certainly ok until he got to WCW. I can name on one hand the number of matches he had in WCW that were good. Even his late WWF stuff started to get bad.

Hogan was pretty good when he had to be. He moved well for a large man and he could do some stuff. Unfortunately the gulf between this physical, more technical side and his simple moveset with gimmicky stuff was pretty big. IMO he should have tried to find a better middle ground.

I've always found the "his matches got bad in WCW" stuff kind of ridiculous since his matches with Vader and Flair were higher ratings than anything Meltzer ever gave him in WWF. Now I don't care about Meltzer's opinion much, I think it had as much to do with a Hogan bias when he was in WWF than actually fairly critiquing his work there which often was better than those WCW matches IMO, but for that audience that cares about star ratings 1994-95 Hogan was putting on his highest quality matches of his career. His matches with Luger and DDP were also really good, and he carried Piper to something resembling a decent match at Starrcade '96 when that should've been nearly impossible by that point. And the Slaughter matches in 1991 were really good too if you aren't too offended by the Iraqi sympathizer angle of it all, which was the last real feud he had there where he got to work a regular series of matches.
Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

I liked his first match against Flair.

His matches against Vader disappointed me. I thought they'd do well together but I didn't think they were that good.

Agreed his matches against DDP were good. I liked it.

For me that just leaves his match with Goldberg.

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hogan's matches didn't get bad in WCW. They got bad in WWF.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob from IA:
This is the 1985 match with Hodge as the special ref. Hogan and Vince thought something may be up that night since it was near the end of their relationship, and they had Hodge ref it to make sure nothing funny happened. They literally grabbed him shortly before the match to do it, which may explain why his ref attire isn't the usual lol. Hogan told the whole story on Jericho's podcast, pretty interesting.

Hulk and Fujinami also had a really good match again in 1994.

Hogan, never the one to spin a yarn, told a different version on his 2002 Hulk Still Rules DVD. He said Vince told him they weren't going back to New Japan and Fujinami shot on him and tried to take the belt. Nothing mentioned about Hodge as ref. And Andre supposedly gained respect for him because he didn't ask for help and took care of business on his own.

[ 05-14-2017, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still fail to see how Hogan was any good in Japan either, his offence looked pathetic and his selling was rotten too, it's the same, bad worker as in the US, just at a higher pace and with opponents that work harder.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations