WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » What would you like to hear Jim Cornette rant about (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What would you like to hear Jim Cornette rant about
Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do admit I could listen to him all day. As for my question, it doesn't have to be wrestling related. For me personally, there are family members, former friends and co workers I would pay to have him cut a promo on.
IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe try to get him to go off on a rant about himself and see if he implodes? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has he ever spoken on Bernie Sanders?

Tod Gordon?

George Steele?

Fred Blassie?

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sable

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

mrslinky
Member # 122285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrslinky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything. He is great. I love him. I want to hang out with him. I want to go the mall with him. I am meeting at a fan event soon.
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to hear a rant on some of the most business exposing overused gimmicks of the territory days, like the loaded tennis racket and blinding powder.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or people who spend all their time slating WWE and then go back and work there

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing really.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soap drying. I'll listen to anything Corny.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Restaurant reviews. Especially the service.
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hemorrhoids.
Secret Agent X
Member # 23543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secret Agent X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretzel buns. If u wanted a Pretzel I'd get one. When I want a burger I want a bun.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Sable

Here ya go

"Sables only talent was plastic surgery..."

Jim Cornette Shoots Hard on Sable

NSFW but that should be a given with Cornette.

--------------------
FREE BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS

Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent X:
TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!

He does this a lot and well!
HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Widow Maker:
I do admit I could listen to him all day.

I can't listen to his "rants" for more than two or three minutes before I just turn them off. That said, I'd be willing to go five or more if he ranted on himself and his own ranting.

--------------------
"Yip!" -- Jumpin' Jeff Farmer

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HEN from MS:
quote:
Originally posted by Widow Maker:
I do admit I could listen to him all day.

I can't listen to his "rants" for more than two or three minutes before I just turn them off. That said, I'd be willing to go five or more if he ranted on himself and his own ranting.
This.
timbo_slice
Member # 20992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbo_slice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
I'd like to hear a rant on some of the most business exposing overused gimmicks of the territory days, like the loaded tennis racket and blinding powder.

How is hitting someone with a tennis racket exposing the business?
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Okay, perhaps the influence of Calvinism on Western economic practices?

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timbo_slice:
quote:

Some people are so over kayfabe that they think anything is acceptable. And as such, someone like James E. who doesn't agree that Omega wrestling a blowup doll is funny and cool, become a target.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Cornette on 98% of everything...but him wrestling Baby Doll a couple of years ago at an indie show in Spartanburg was almost as bad as the Omega blowup doll stuff (which I found funny for what it was).
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think even Jim would agree with you that him wrestling Baby Doll wasn't a high point in the history of the biz.

For the record, I'd like to see him get past the "expose the business" thing. That horse not only got out of the barn, it, and all it's children and grandchildren are dead.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phrase "exposing the business" should be replaced with the phrase "allowing suspension of disbelief."

However, "suspension of disbelief" in a promotion like CHIKARA is very different than "suspension of disbelief" in New Japan.

Promotions need to pick one reality and stick with it. Just as you wouldn't want aliens landing at the 4077 to kidnap Hawkeye and Colonel Potter, you don't need to mix a serious Funk/Brisco classic with Aja Kong laying an egg.

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said! One of the problems that I have with lucha in general is the insistence to book shows with "something for everyone". No, the industry got past that years ago... There is nothing worse than seeing a couple of great matches (within the confines of lucha reality, which is entirely different from NJPW), followed by totally ludicrous comic spots, usually involving minis kicking someone in the nads. Funny a long time ago, yes. Funny now? Not so much as intrusive on the narrative flow of the show.

If I go to CHIKARA and don't see something silly and ridiculous, I'll want my money back. On the other hand, if the NJPW tour of the US included Okada defending against a guy dressed as an ice-cream cone, I'd be livid.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

KJL
Member # 3872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, every promotion needs its own internal logic and there shouldn't be too much deviation from a certain level of credibility; halfway consistent levels of selling and ring psychology would be spiffy too. That said, Omega has caught way too much flack for the "little girl" match that happened in freaking DDT - a very "post-modern" promotion that once had a ladder as its hardcore champion. A young guy trying to make it in the indies and smaller promotions in Japan, as guys who aren't 6' 9" or second-generation wrestlers find themselves doing, who isn't amenable to some goofiness probably has no shot at making it big - see: Omega, Kenny and LOTS of guys now in NJPW and WWE.

--------------------
"Jeez, the thread was going better when people were calling each other cokeheads and homos." -Crimson Mask from FL

Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the angry ranting and blaming everyone for everything gets a little old. I like him better when he's just making fun of people.

[ 05-11-2017, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Someone from Rwanda ]

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a service. For $125, Jim Cornette will call you up and rant about the subject of your choice for 5 minutes.
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
quote:
quote:

Some people are so over kayfabe that they think anything is acceptable. And as such, someone like James E. who doesn't agree that Omega wrestling a blowup doll is funny and cool, become a target.
It's just silly that someone who puts so much emphasis on things needing to make sense doesn't look back on a 6'6" linebacker falling into a coma after getting a single medium swat on the back by an unmuscular person as falling in column C instead of column A of wrestling bits. Don't get me wrong, I love Cornette today, I appreciate his rants and opinions and I appreciated him then. But come on. Most Midnight Express matches had fantastic wrestling and theater from long before the bell to five seconds before the finish, and horrible, stupid tennis racket finishes. And my remark about the powder came from watching a few months worth of consecutive OVW shows during Cornette's time there when it seemed every single show had a Valet-throws-powder- at face-who-either-gets-it-or-ducks-and-omg-heel-gets it.

Like I say, I don't denigrate his career for having repeated those ad infinitum. I just would love to hear him say, "Yeah, what was I thinking having a magic racket that would knock unconscious a 300lb guy that my wrestler couldn't make move an inch with a flying shoulder block? Oh, and wtf was I thinking with the powder every night?" And if he'd do it in Pritchard's Cornette voice it would be best : )

[ 05-12-2017, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: White Fang from WA ]

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Widow Maker
Member # 44188

quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:
This sounds like a service. For $125, Jim Cornette will call you up and rant about the subject of your choice for 5 minutes.

Yes!
Diceman Cometh
Member # 123755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diceman Cometh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]It's just silly that someone who puts so much emphasis on things needing to make sense doesn't look back on a 6'6" linebacker falling into a coma after getting a single medium swat on the back by an unmuscular person as falling in column C instead of column A of wrestling bits. Don't get me wrong, I love Cornette today, I appreciate his rants and opinions and I appreciated him then. But come on. Most Midnight Express matches had fantastic wrestling and theater from long before the bell to five seconds before the finish, and horrible, stupid tennis racket finishes. And my remark about the powder came from watching a few months worth of consecutive OVW shows during Cornette's time there when it seemed every single show had a Valet-throws-powder- at face-who-either-gets-it-or-ducks-and-omg-heel-gets it.

Like I say, I don't denigrate his career for having repeated those ad infinitum. I just would love to hear him say, "Yeah, what was I thinking having a magic racket that would knock unconscious a 300lb guy that my wrestler couldn't make move an inch with a flying shoulder block? Oh, and wtf was I thinking with the powder every night?" And if he'd do it in Pritchard's Cornette voice it would be best : )

Great points. I appreciate Corny's focus on continuity, things making sense, and so on to no end. That said, it didn't stop him from recycling hokey mid-80s Memphis-style crap in SMW.

Sable? Why is he mad at her for the position she was placed in? You take the opportunities that are presented to you. It's not like they pushed aside his idea to smash his face into a birthday cake for the sake of Sable.

--------------------
I'll be at the craps table.

Outlaw Dick
Member # 128734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw Dick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Dick:

Sable? Why is he mad at her for the position she was placed in? You take the opportunities that are presented to you. It's not like they pushed aside his idea to smash his face into a birthday cake for the sake of Sable. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Corny's liberal use of the C-word might suggest, in some circles, a disdain for women...
(Okay, u can delete the previous 2 now;)

[ 05-14-2017, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw Dick ]

--------------------
"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk"

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay u can delete them urself. Click the edit icon then check the delete post box and click the edit post button.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
quote:
quote:

It's just silly that someone who puts so much emphasis on things needing to make sense doesn't look back on a 6'6" linebacker falling into a coma after getting a single medium swat on the back by an unmuscular person as falling in column C instead of column A of wrestling bits. Don't get me wrong, I love Cornette today, I appreciate his rants and opinions and I appreciated him then. But come on. Most Midnight Express matches had fantastic wrestling and theater from long before the bell to five seconds before the finish, and horrible, stupid tennis racket finishes. And my remark about the powder came from watching a few months worth of consecutive OVW shows during Cornette's time there when it seemed every single show had a Valet-throws-powder- at face-who-either-gets-it-or-ducks-and-omg-heel-gets it.

I don't know if it was like this early in Cornette's career, but by the time I started watching in the late 80s, the commentators always referred to it as a "loaded" tennis racket. If it was indeed "loaded", say plaster wrapped around it or something, it was always believable to me that it could knock out anyone. It's not like he ever took the cover off and started swatting tennis balls around.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

They did a visual explanation of it at a Clash in 1989. There was a horse shoe.
Adam Wilcox
Member # 115494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always enjoyed Cornette's rants on his time running OVW and having to deal with the stress and frustration caused by WWE interference (mostly, I believe, after John Laurinaitis replaced Jim Ross as head of talent relations). I'd like to see a title released (perhaps from Kayfabe Commentaries) dedicated to Cornette documenting his OVW run.

[ 06-27-2017, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Adam Wilcox ]

--------------------
http://truecrimefactor.com/

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kayfabe days, not so much present day anything

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:

Oh, c'mon, wouldn't you like to hear him rant about the Louisville Cardinals basketball mess?
gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1bruiser:
quote:
Originally posted by gulascantfoolus:

Oh, c'mon, wouldn't you like to hear him rant about the Louisville Cardinals basketball mess?
No because thats something he knows ZERO about, stick to Russo

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

NYindyfan
Member # 125634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYindyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like his rants about Joey Ryan and Chuck Taylor along with the Omega stuff. So many people are defending that silly stuff that it's nice to hear somebody rant about it.
Idol I
Member # 4061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idol I     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckers jam

--------------------
http://TheHistoryofWWE.com/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations