WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » OT: Billy Joel Is 68 Today -- And His Music Is Still Terrible (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: Billy Joel Is 68 Today -- And His Music Is Still Terrible
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
Genesis was way better and far more interesting when Peter Gabriel was fronting.

Apples and oranges discussion. Just a matter of two completely different, but equally valid, directions. Peter and Phil would both disagree with you. They're quite fond of each other.
IP: Logged
vtrockgod22
Member # 5576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtrockgod22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't an album I love of Billy Joel's (however, I think the first side of "The Nylon Curtain" is great) but he's certainly wrote a lot of songs I like. He's sold more than 150 million records and has had 33 Top 40 hits. I don't think he gives a flying flip what the critics think.

[ 05-10-2017, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: vtrockgod22 ]

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
quote:
Phil Collins on South Park was great. Other than that, he sucks. Genesis was way better and far more interesting when Peter Gabriel was fronting.

As I attempted to educate you last time you fronted off that horse sh*t...

Those who cannot remember the past, yada yada.

Should have called it the "Good Riddance" Tour.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

murphdogg
Member # 33118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murphdogg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
screw snarky hipster music critics

--------------------
"i've done allot of tough crowds and this is one of them"

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by murphdogg:
screw snarky hipster music critics

Joel has received that same basic criticism for many years. Nothing new.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert Christgau to me is the worst of the worst. Pretentious, self-serving pseudo-intellectual nonsense masked as all-knowing music knowledge. His opinion means nothing and he is somehow referred to as the "dean of music critics". Kind of like having the biggest penis in your ant colony.

[ 05-10-2017, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: A Gene Wilder Somersault ]

DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine:
quote:
quote:
Phil Collins on South Park was great. Other than that, he sucks. Genesis was way better and far more interesting when Peter Gabriel was fronting.

As I attempted to educate you last time you fronted off that horse sh*t...

Those who cannot remember the past, yada yada.

Wasnt "Take Me Home" the closing credits music for SNME in the early years of that show? Proof that you can connect almost anything to wrestling!

Getting back on topic, werent Duran Duran also dismissed as lightweight fluff by critics in the 80s? Now most music critics consider them one of the best bands of the 80s (and even their later stuff has gotten acclaim), and legends of New Wave. Heck, Rolling Stone in the past badmouthed legendary albums like High Voltage, Mob Rules, and anything by Queen (im still wondering how "we will rock you" is a "facist anthem"). Critics can change.

I forgot about that. Queen is another band critics absolutely hated. Read Dave Marsh's Rolling Stone review of the Jazz album.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/jazz-19790208

And The Game here.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/the-game-19800918

[ 05-10-2017, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: DR. PAPUFNIK ]

Mr. Henry Bemis
Member # 6221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Henry Bemis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Anybody who thinks the "Glass Houses" album is "terrible" is a raging dou*chebag.

Amen.

The non hits on that album are better than the "known" songs.

But I am a huge Billy Joel fan.

Not from NY/NJ area, but like cheese, I guess.

--------------------
Time enough at last!

bAzTNM
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bAzTNM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just more conformist f*ckery, like dissing Phil Collins. Beening like the Kewl Kids. No matter your musical prejudices, there's so much way worse sh*t out there than them.

I hate when people diss Phil Collins. It's just...wrong. Multi-talented artist. Actor etc.

--------------------
From Scotland!

My website with random stuff

The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Collins backlash is more due to his personality, rather than his musical catalogue (well, maybe "Sussudio"). His general douchey,hammy aura is what kills it for me .Nobody can say the man doesn't have talent or hasn't had a profound influence on a generation of drummers, he just seems like a dick.

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Saviour of Misbehaviour:
I think the Collins backlash is more due to his personality, rather than his musical catalogue (well, maybe "Sussudio"). His general douchey,hammy aura is what kills it for me .Nobody can say the man doesn't have talent or hasn't had a profound influence on a generation of drummers, he just seems like a dick.

That plus he took a cool act with a unique style and turned it into a pop-tart act.
Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Saviour of Misbehaviour:

That plus he took a cool act with a unique style and turned it into a pop-tart act.
You have to admit that "Land of Confusion" is a great song (YMMV on the video though). Of course, if you want more anti-Collins ammo, just look at "Illegal Alien",,i dont know what he was thinking with that fake Latino accent.
bAzTNM
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bAzTNM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was on a chat show over here (UK) and he was hunched over and walking with a stick. Quite sad really. I know he's still got a bazillion pounds, but still really sad.

--------------------
From Scotland!

My website with random stuff

J Hillenburg
Member # 395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J Hillenburg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid article and I'm dumber for having read it.

Melody, nitwit? Catchy means a lot. A veritable **** ton. Idiot thinks Joel's lyrics matter. I feel sick.

bigpappacubfan
Member # 8321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigpappacubfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DR. PAPUFNIK:
Up until the mid or late 80's, a number of critics hated Billy Joel. As I recall, in the late 70's, it was almost to a Michael Bolton level where he'd sell a ton of records but he was almost universally despised by critics. Billy Joel used to read his bad reviews on stage. Here's Rolling Stone's review of Glass Houses.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/glass-houses-19800501

This is the same Rolling Stone that consistently gives that garbage music made by Yoko Ono 4 stars.

--------------------
and that's the bottom line....

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigpappacubfan:
quote:
Originally posted by DR. PAPUFNIK:
Up until the mid or late 80's, a number of critics hated Billy Joel. As I recall, in the late 70's, it was almost to a Michael Bolton level where he'd sell a ton of records but he was almost universally despised by critics. Billy Joel used to read his bad reviews on stage. Here's Rolling Stone's review of Glass Houses.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/glass-houses-19800501

This is the same Rolling Stone that consistently gives that garbage music made by Yoko Ono 4 stars.
Always hated Yoko's musical attempts but this is pretty badass in a Lou Reed kinda way...

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

I'd like to direct everyone back to the original topic. The same can be said about most "pop stars" like Phil Collins. As Twain said, "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations