WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cornette was flirting with the idea of joining the NWA since at least late 1992 as the Observer reported that both he and Coralluzzo had expressed interest (Dennis was admitted that November).

His application for membership was tabled at the NWA meeting in September 1993 because he was managing WWF champion Yokozuna and they wanted to be sure he and Smoky Mountain would recognize the NWA champion as the only world champion. They were supposedly going to admit him once that ceased and held onto the check covering his initiation and dues, but I think he stopped payment on it and never became a member.

IP: Logged
ZEKER
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah as I think about, I either saw that Cornette / NWA thing in (how is this for an Internet flashback) the WAWLI papers or the RSPW FAQ...
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Billy Corgan regime is apparently scheduled to take over the NWA effective 10/1. The licenses for the current NWA licensee promoters are set to expire the day before. The On Demand service will also be shutting down, although Corgan purchased whatever rights Bruce Tharpe had to control and distribute the Houston Wrestling library which is still owned by the Boesch family.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tod Gordon > Billy Corgan.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling there is going to be a main NWA promotion where it’s the World, Tag, maybe women’s and North American. Then they’ll push local promotions as developmental/territorial where guys not on the main roster work under guidance. I have no basis on this other than a gut feeling. But I don’t see garbage NWA fed with Microsoft paint logo that draws 80 people being the norm not that the NWA has probably the biggest financial backing it’s had in almost 30 years.
Cattle_Mutilation
Member # 59807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattle_Mutilation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2017/10/02/billy-corgan-officially-announces-rebrand-nwa

--------------------
Never Drew A Dime!

Any person applying for the position of pro wrestling referee must be of physical unfitness to the degree that the slightest nudge would render him irretrievably unconscious.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
Tod Gordon > Billy Corgan.

I wish I could remember which direction means which.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tod is greater
Dan P-170
Member # 32

From reading the article it appears Corgan has no immediate plans to start his own promotion and just hopes to have other promoters use the NWA titles on their shows to basically keep people from forgetting about it until if/when he decides to get something going as part of his 20 year business plan. So for the time being it's more or less just going to exist as a name like GFW before the "merger" with Impact.

[ 10-02-2017, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never understood that fascination of trying to "re-create" the National Wrestling Alliance. First off, the ticket buying public really has zero clue about the NWA.

It would literally make more business sense to re-launch Total Nonstop Action before re-launching the NWA.

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple of videos about Billy buying the NWA.

And part of a NWA documentary about Billy buying it.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

ray odyssey
Member # 113233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray odyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New breaking news.

Billy Corgan spends 10 million dollars and buys the rights to the typewriter. He thinks he can resurrect that business too.

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ray odyssey:
New breaking news.

Billy Corgan spends 10 million dollars and buys the rights to the typewriter. He thinks he can resurrect that business too.

I heard he is working on a way to hook the typewriter up to a smart tv, so that your messages can be transmitted over the microwaves in the sky and end up being displayed on someone else's tv screen. I'm thinking of giving generously to his kickstarter, as long as he names it after me.

[ 11-03-2017, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarcasm is winning the day, and rightfully so. The NWA in this day and age means sweet f.a. to most people. It's been a generation.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Nick Aldis will win the NWA title and reveal he is actually a shapeshifter. 💰 in the 🏦
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations