WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance (Page 3)

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that doesn't change the reality that it is, and is immediately visually identifiable as, a belt. It circles the waist and fastens. It's a belt. You show a picture of anybody wearing it to anybody on earth who doesn't follow WWE, which is still most of the people on earth, and go, 'that thing around the guy's waist, what is that', and they are going to say, in whatever language they speak, 'it's a belt.'

[ 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Robot Monster
Member
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

Farm platypus cocktail gorge genuflect margarine derby. Desperate toothpicks undulate graciously Buick Skylark.
Again, I am not suggesting that language is incoherent or entirely unpredictable.

There are meanings. There are rules. They work because people understand them. And these meanings and rules change over time, for a variety of reasons.

This is why we have something called "Old English." It's English, but you couldn't read or understand it without specific training. Because the language changed.

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

Farm platypus cocktail gorge genuflect margarine derby. Desperate toothpicks undulate graciously Buick Skylark.
Again, I am not suggesting that language is incoherent or entirely unpredictable.

There are meanings. There are rules. They work because people understand them. And these meanings and rules change over time, for a variety of reasons.

This is why we have something called "Old English." It's English, but you couldn't read or understand it without specific training. Because the language changed.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you. Words have changed too quickly and have lost all their meanings.

Refrigerator octopus galaxy Neptune porta potty.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guy goes into cardiac arrest. He's turning blue. Doctor calls out, "NURSE! QUICK! Bring me a WWE title!"

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Robot Monster
Member
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
But that doesn't change the reality that it is, and is immediately visually identiafiable as, a belt. It circles the waist and fastens. It's a belt. You show a picture of anybody wearing it to anybody on earth who doesn't folliw WWE, which is still most of the people on earth, and go, 'that thing around the guy's waist, what is that', and they are going to say, in whatever language they speak, 'it's a belt.'

There's nothing here with which I would disagree. It looks like a belt to me. I personally call it a belt and find "title" to be kind of nonsensical. Obviously, not every change to a language occurs at a global level.

English is, however, expected to change in major ways over the next century, due to the impact of new media technologies on our communication as well as the effects of globalization, in which ESL dialects blending into each other will contribute toward a new global English.

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
But that doesn't change the reality that it is, and is immediately visually identiafiable as, a belt. It circles the waist and fastens. It's a belt. You show a picture of anybody wearing it to anybody on earth who doesn't folliw WWE, which is still most of the people on earth, and go, 'that thing around the guy's waist, what is that', and they are going to say, in whatever language they speak, 'it's a belt.'

There's nothing here with which I would disagree. It looks like a belt to me. I personally call it a belt and find "title" to be kind of nonsensical. Obviously, not every change to a language occurs at a global level.

English is, however, expected to change in major ways over the next century, due to the impact of new media technologies on our communication as well as the effects of globalization, in which ESL dialects blending into each other will contribute toward a new global English.

Zebra dopamine ascertains poi.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Robot Monster
Member
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

Farm platypus cocktail gorge genuflect margarine derby. Desperate toothpicks undulate graciously Buick Skylark.
Again, I am not suggesting that language is incoherent or entirely unpredictable.

There are meanings. There are rules. They work because people understand them. And these meanings and rules change over time, for a variety of reasons.

This is why we have something called "Old English." It's English, but you couldn't read or understand it without specific training. Because the language changed.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you. Words have changed too quickly and have lost all their meanings.

Refrigerator octopus galaxy Neptune porta potty.

I was actually trying to take you seriously and engage your points, but sarcasm might be all that you have.

Really, it's ok.

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

Farm platypus cocktail gorge genuflect margarine derby. Desperate toothpicks undulate graciously Buick Skylark.
Again, I am not suggesting that language is incoherent or entirely unpredictable.

There are meanings. There are rules. They work because people understand them. And these meanings and rules change over time, for a variety of reasons.

This is why we have something called "Old English." It's English, but you couldn't read or understand it without specific training. Because the language changed.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you. Words have changed too quickly and have lost all their meanings.

Refrigerator octopus galaxy Neptune porta potty.

I was actually trying to take you seriously and engage your points, but sarcasm might be all that you have.

Really, it's ok.

Gargoyle little spoon vomit sales job cable access.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Mon-Ray-Al
Member
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Source: PWInsider

Former TNA Wrestling President and Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has agreed to purchase the historic National Wrestling Alliance. Corgan has a deal that would see him purchase the NWA name, rights, trademarks as well as rights and possession of the legendary NWA title belt.

No word yet on when Corgan will begin running the company or what he has in store for the various NWA member promotions, or the NWA On Demand streaming service, but we will keep you updated.


Possession of the legendary NWA belt? Isn't the old belt in Flair's or HHH's collection?

Back when Anthem bought TNA, everyone was saying to rename it because of the stain of TNA. I thought that Anthem should have also bought the NWA rights and find some big free agent out there (like Ryback) to become the NWA champ, then do an invasion angle (even though it's been done to death) and do a rehash of the USWA vs WCCW angle where TNA loses and becomes the NWA. Then, the NWA would have an actual show and tv deal, so to speak.

TNA's booking was always suspect but I thought for a long time that a big reasons why they didn't get better fiancially or ratings-wise it's cause they came off like the little annoying brother to the big brother WWF/E. They wanted to be like WWE but result was a second-rate brand of them.

But more importantly, TNA had no history of when wrestling was liked while for fans of the current WWE, they watched somewhat cause they liked what they saw but it was also cause they remember Stone Cold and Hulkamania. Watching their shows was like belonging to a family of sort. So fans will always give them the time of day. By becoming the NWA and change some of their bookings, TNA would have attracted more old school fans who prefered a more realistic product cause the name NWA still meant something for a lot of fans.

With the new owners and rebranding, TNA should really have bought the NWA. It's not a garantee of quality but it would have made them much more attractive.

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Billy can work some kind of deal with Anthem and something like what I posted could happen. Probably not, but you never know.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

IP: Logged
Robot Monster
Member
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's Billy's sense about wrestling? Has there been discussion of his personal tastes, the kind of wrestling he grew up with, etc.?

I remember once seeing the suggestion on here that he wanted to do a lot of unorthodox things in terms of stories and characters. This was my reason for wondering about Cornette's reaction.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. The two weeks or whatever it was he ran TNA seemed like the usual bullsh*t.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mon-Ray-Al:

With the new owners and rebranding, TNA should really have bought the NWA. It's not a garantee of quality but it would have made them much more attractive.

And by "attractive," you mean an additional 20 or 30 people might show up on this board to complain about the big Jeremy Borash vs Josh Matthews feud soiling the great tradition of Lou Thesz, Ricky Steamboat, and Jack Brisco.

Changing the name of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" to "M*A*S*H" doesn't automatically turn Mama June into Alan Alda.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Steve Berberovic
Member
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NWA is a dead brand, and no amount of money will change that.
IP: Logged
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

Farm platypus cocktail gorge genuflect margarine derby. Desperate toothpicks undulate graciously Buick Skylark.
Again, I am not suggesting that language is incoherent or entirely unpredictable.

There are meanings. There are rules. They work because people understand them. And these meanings and rules change over time, for a variety of reasons.

This is why we have something called "Old English." It's English, but you couldn't read or understand it without specific training. Because the language changed.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you. Words have changed too quickly and have lost all their meanings.

Refrigerator octopus galaxy Neptune porta potty.

I was actually trying to take you seriously and engage your points, but sarcasm might be all that you have.

Really, it's ok.

Gargoyle little spoon vomit sales job cable access.
Better smile when you say that!

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy at the beginning of the thread...

 -

Billy at this point of the thread...

 -

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PEAR shaped m***********, int he?

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Matt Farmer from WA
Member
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think Billy paid much for the rights to the NWA. So this may be nothing more than a fan buying a piece of nostalgia with hopes of maybe doing something with it.

Billy is a big wrestling collector after all.

I think it's silly in terms of future business, as the generation you want to attract could care less about the NWA. But Billy is a fan, and he's rich. Heck if I had his type of money I'd buy all sorts of weird Sh** too.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

IP: Logged
evensout
Member
Member # 5985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evensout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what Matt said
IP: Logged
Happ Hazzard
Member
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy nowadays could easily pass for Bob Geigel as NWA president.
IP: Logged
Old WWWF Fan
Member
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
Jinder stole the title. They call it a title. For now, many people refuse to call it a "title" because they remember the artifact being called a "belt." Personally, I still call it a belt because that's the word that I had learned for it.


So if Jinder has "the title," that means Jinder is the champion?
"Title" isn't my choice either, in part for these kinds of problems.
My point here isn't to defend the WWE's choice of terms or say that it makes sense to me. I actually prefer "belt." But it doesn't always take a ton of force for a word's meaning to change. Again, if WWE persists long enough for fans to forget that it was ever called a belt, or even to just accept WWE's specific vocabulary, then it's a title.

It IS a belt. Don't let McMahon's occasional foray into megalomania infect you.

Foray? Haven't even started drinking yet...

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old WWWF Fan:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
Jinder stole the title. They call it a title. For now, many people refuse to call it a "title" because they remember the artifact being called a "belt." Personally, I still call it a belt because that's the word that I had learned for it.


So if Jinder has "the title," that means Jinder is the champion?
"Title" isn't my choice either, in part for these kinds of problems.
My point here isn't to defend the WWE's choice of terms or say that it makes sense to me. I actually prefer "belt." But it doesn't always take a ton of force for a word's meaning to change. Again, if WWE persists long enough for fans to forget that it was ever called a belt, or even to just accept WWE's specific vocabulary, then it's a title.

It IS a belt. Don't let McMahon's occasional foray into megalomania infect you.

Foray? Haven't even started drinking yet...

Foray? No, no. The Japraneese carl him Cractus Jack.

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Billy Burgess
Member
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In tribute to his purchase of the National Wrestling Alliance, Billy Corgan's next band will be known as Beating Dead Horses.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

IP: Logged
Billy Burgess
Member
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL:
Is NWA champ 1948 Tojo under a different name?

Holy Russo Superswerves, Batman! I hope not. A weekly "what is NWA champ 1948 doing this weekend?" thread with answers that go from humorous to horrific (often within the same comment)?

I may have nightmares tonight...

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

IP: Logged
Someone from Rwanda
Member
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
I remember once seeing the suggestion on here that he wanted to do a lot of unorthodox things in terms of stories and characters.

This means we're going to have someone like Courtney Love in an on-air commissioner role.

[ 05-04-2017, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Someone from Rwanda ]

IP: Logged
Soletaker
Member
Member # 1564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soletaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the NWA classics site was taken down. I went to the site and it's just a blank page. Wonder what happens if you were a subscriber.
IP: Logged
Old WWWF Fan
Member
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Old WWWF Fan:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
Jinder stole the title. They call it a title. For now, many people refuse to call it a "title" because they remember the artifact being called a "belt." Personally, I still call it a belt because that's the word that I had learned for it.


So if Jinder has "the title," that means Jinder is the champion?
"Title" isn't my choice either, in part for these kinds of problems.
My point here isn't to defend the WWE's choice of terms or say that it makes sense to me. I actually prefer "belt." But it doesn't always take a ton of force for a word's meaning to change. Again, if WWE persists long enough for fans to forget that it was ever called a belt, or even to just accept WWE's specific vocabulary, then it's a title.

It IS a belt. Don't let McMahon's occasional foray into megalomania infect you.

Foray? Haven't even started drinking yet...

Foray? No, no. The Japraneese carl him Cractus Jack.
Okway, sowwy.
IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soletaker:
Looks like the NWA classics site was taken down. I went to the site and it's just a blank page. Wonder what happens if you were a subscriber.

Mike Rapada comes to your house and sings "Bullet With Butterfly Wings."

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

IP: Logged
Kilroy
Member
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
I really don't think Billy paid much for the rights to the NWA. So this may be nothing more than a fan buying a piece of nostalgia with hopes of maybe doing something with it.

Billy is a big wrestling collector after all.

I think it's silly in terms of future business, as the generation you want to attract could care less about the NWA. But Billy is a fan, and he's rich. Heck if I had his type of money I'd buy all sorts of weird Sh** too.

This x1000. Hell, I don't care if it's not worth dick, if I had FU money it would be cool to buy it and say "I own the NWA now". I was a big fan as a kid, it would just be cool to say I owned it..if I made something out of it after that then that's just a bonus..

[ 05-04-2017, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: Kilroy ]

IP: Logged
musclehead
Member
Member # 120698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musclehead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soletaker:
Looks like the NWA classics site was taken down. I went to the site and it's just a blank page. Wonder what happens if you were a subscriber.

http://www.nwaondemand.com/

It's alive and well, they just redesigned their site. If you are a subscriber and your login details don't work you have to go to login and click on 'i forgot my password', check your email for a token code and click the link included, put the code in then reset your password.

Hope this helps anyone.

[ 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: musclehead ]

IP: Logged
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a subscriber anymore but got this email:


Dear Valued Customer,

It's been a busy season for our company with relocating our headquarters from Texas to Colorado, tackling a brand refresh, and working on some marketing initiatives we can't wait to unveil. As always, our customers remain at the center of why we do what we do. Each time you watch NWA On-Demand, our goal is to exceed your expectations by delivering content that's easy to access and engaging. In order to create the best subscriber experience possible, we're rolling out a new website that's more interactive, user-friendly, and modern. As a subscriber, all you need to do is follow the link below to access your new account.

-- NWA Team

IP: Logged
Dan P-170
Member
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those wondering about Jim Cornette's reaction to the purchase, it's up on YouTube now.

Don't know how to post a link from my phone, but he and Brian Last basically mocked it. It turned into a conversation about the few remaining members in the early 90s spearheaded by Dennis Coralluzzo and their problems with WCW. Jim said the only reason it continued to exist was because the members were holding out on dates for the champion and the attorney Bob Trobich filed the necessary paperwork to keep the corporation alive, which is ironic because later on after they converted to an LLC, the State in which they were domiciled, North Carolina, dissolved it once or twice because Trobich failed to comply.

Funniest part to me was Brian mentioning Coralluzzo trying to get WCW to send him Flair to defend the NWA title against Ed the Razor in whatever town New Jersey.

IP: Logged
murphdogg
Member
Member # 33118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murphdogg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm in the minority but I'm excited at the possibilities. Though I'm skeptical that Corrigan would book in the realistic, gritty traditional NWA style. But sometimes it's fun to get my hopes up that I'll see actual wrestling again.

--------------------
"i've done allot of tough crowds and this is one of them"

IP: Logged
Happ Hazzard
Member
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What wrestling would Billy have grown up on, AWA right? What other wrestling would have been on TV in Chicago, late 70s, early 80s? Georgia if the Corgans had cable. Anything else?
IP: Logged
mr. waukegan #2
Member
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. waukegan #2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
What wrestling would Billy have grown up on, AWA right? What other wrestling would have been on TV in Chicago, late 70s, early 80s? Georgia if the Corgans had cable. Anything else?

Corgan was born in 1967 so he is not that old.
In theory could have picked up the WOR WWF show as it was carried by some cable providers in the Chicagoland area in the early 80s. By the mid 80s via cable and OTA in the northern burbs we were getting everything at one time or another except for the Florida and Alabama territories.

IP: Logged
ZEKER
Member
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to one site message board that has a few promoters on it from the 'older' NWA, an offer of 60,000 was made for the NWA brand back in the fall by one person to Tharpe, and that was declined. So you can imagine from there how much Corgan paid...
IP: Logged
Guacamole Anderson
Member
Member # 5859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guacamole Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. waukegan #2:
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
What wrestling would Billy have grown up on, AWA right? What other wrestling would have been on TV in Chicago, late 70s, early 80s? Georgia if the Corgans had cable. Anything else?

Corgan was born in 1967 so he is not that old.
In theory could have picked up the WOR WWF show as it was carried by some cable providers in the Chicagoland area in the early 80s. By the mid 80s via cable and OTA in the northern burbs we were getting everything at one time or another except for the Florida and Alabama territories.

If I remember correctly, there was one channel pretty high on the dial (66?) with a whole block of shows on Saturdays...UWF, World Class, Crockett, Pro Wrestling This Week, etc.
IP: Logged
Tatsuya
Member
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update from http://www.f4wonline.com/daily-updates/daily-update-corgannwa-raw-ratings-ufc-211-235411

quote:
Sources close to the situation have confirmed that Billy Corgan signed a purchase agreement with Bruce Tharpe to purchase the NWA name and its intellectual property. A change in the original deal is that Corgan will now own the NWA on Demand website that has the Paul Boesch Houston tape library on it. The original deal did not include the NWA on Demand site.

IP: Logged
White Fang from WA
Member
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:


Funniest part to me was Brian mentioning Coralluzzo trying to get WCW to send him Flair to defend the NWA title against Ed the Razor in whatever town New Jersey.

Yeah, that was awesome. Made my day. Almost missed my exit when he said that.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

IP: Logged
ZEKER
Member
Member # 4727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZEKER         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan P-170:


Funniest part to me was Brian mentioning Coralluzzo trying to get WCW to send him Flair to defend the NWA title against Ed the Razor in whatever town New Jersey.

Yeah, that was awesome. Made my day. Almost missed my exit when he said that.
What's funny about that, is I believe Cornette was trying to do the same thing with Smokey Mountain Wrestling. He was trying to join the NWA to do the same thing to WCW because they had fired him, but his membership never came to fruition. I think it had to do with his WWF exposure for SMW or something like that...
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3