WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
Ironically, Corgan is or was working with Rick Rubin on a solo record or album or whatever those things are called today.

They're still records and they're still albums.

A record being the process of committing something for historical purposes (which can be a written record, an audio record, a visual record, etc).

And an album is a collection of things (a music album, a photo album, etc).

For some reason people think "record" or "album" are synonyms of vinyl. Not the case. The records, or albums, were released on vinyl, then 8-track, then cassette tape, then CD, then digitally. But they're still records and they're still albums.

Seems like this is something that varies by region/generation, i.e. "pop"/"soda" or "sneakers"/"tennis shoes." Where I grew up, people said "album" in reference to cassettes and CDs but NO ONE said "record." There was a local "record store" but it didn't sell (vinyl) records, and no one ever mentioned "records" unless actually saying the name of the store.
Not really a regional thing. And it doesn't matter what they said/say. Simple fact is, a "record" is a record of something. An "album" is a collection of those things. Nothing's gonna change that. Not even God Almighty Hisowndamnself.
Not really looking to get on this, but language isn't a math equation. The meanings of words are constantly changing. In terms of what a word means, what people said/say is the only thing that matters.
Which is why the dictionary changed the word "literally" to mean "figuratively." Which is still 100% incorrect.

If I start calling my butt a flashlight maybe it'll help me see in the dark.

Language is correct when it's understood. That's it. Language can change. It does change. You just used the word "butt" in reference to a body part. That isn't going to show up in a 1911 dictionary, but it's correct now.
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=butt

In sense of "human posterior" it is recorded from mid-15c.

Regardless, 'record' and 'album' are still understood to mean the same things they did in the vinyl (and pre vinyl for that matter) periods. They are still what musicians go into a atudio or are recorded live to make.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From wrestlinginc.

NWA President Bruce Tharpe took to his Facebook page and wrote the following on the future of the organization:

I am very excited for the future of the NATIONAL WRESTLING ALLIANCE.

As everyone knows by now - Billy Corgan and I have agreed on principle regarding his acquisition of the NWA brand. This decision comes after many weeks of negotiation and deep consideration.

Although Billy Corgan may be a fresh face to wrestling - he is an extremely successful businessman and has a deep admiration and respect for the NWA. He is also putting together a very strong team.

With the capital and business acumen that Billy Corgan brings to the table - I am confident that he has the ability to take the NWA to the next level. And I have promised to do all I can to help him succeed. I ask you to join me in supporting the new NWA regime in the future.

I am not leaving wrestling - but after four years at the helm of the NWA - I look forward to stepping back and allowing someone new and passionate to take control of this great and noble organization.

Thank you to everyone who has supported the NWA over the years and during my tenure. I also want to publicly thank Billy Corgan for his confidence and respect for this iconic brand.

The next few months are going to be really exciting for the National Wrestling Alliance - but most of all for the fans!

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ironically, Corgan is or was working with Rick Rubin on a solo record or album or whatever those things are called today.

A record being the process of committing something for historical purposes (which can be a written record, an audio record, a visual record, etc).

For some reason people think "record" or "album" are synonyms of vinyl. Not the case. The records, or albums, were released on vinyl, then 8-track, then cassette tape, then CD, then digitally. But they're still records and they're still albums.

Seems like this is something that varies by region/generation, i.e. "pop"/"soda" or "sneakers"/"tennis shoes." Where I grew up, people said "album" in reference to cassettes and CDs but NO ONE said "record." There was a local "record store" but it didn't sell (vinyl) records, and no one ever mentioned "records" unless actually saying the name of the store.
Not really a regional thing. And it doesn't matter what they said/say. Simple fact is, a "record" is a record of something. An "album" is a collection of those things. Nothing's gonna change that. Not even God Almighty Hisowndamnself.
Not really looking to get on this, but language isn't a math equation. The meanings of words are constantly changing. In terms of what a word means, what people said/say is the only thing that matters.
Which is why the dictionary changed the word "literally" to mean "figuratively." Which is still 100% incorrect.

Language is correct when it's understood. That's it. Language can change. It does change. You just used the word "butt" in reference to a body part. That isn't going to show up in a 1911 dictionary, but it's correct now.
I'm not 100% certain what you're "arguing" here. You're saying words change and they mean whatever people say they mean. Then why don't they mean what I say they mean? If we use the word "dishwasher" to describe that machine that washes the dishes for 50 years, then suddenly, because of Beyonce song or whatever, the thing formerly known as a dishwasher is suddenly known on social media as a "dirty grrl," does that mean I must therefore be mocked like Ken Viewer at an ROH show for knowing and using the old term?
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not 100% certain what you're "arguing" here. You're saying words change and they mean whatever people say they mean. Then why don't they mean what I say they mean? If we use the word "dishwasher" to describe that machine that washes the dishes for 50 years, then suddenly, because of Beyonce song or whatever, the thing formerly known as a dishwasher is suddenly known on social media as a "dirty grrl," does that mean I must therefore be mocked like Ken Viewer at an ROH show for knowing and using the old term?
No one was mocking. I was gently suggesting that the meanings of words vary across eras and regions, with the idea that definitions aren't absolutely, universally, "correct" or "incorrect" in any sense analogous to a math or science equation simply being right or wrong. That's all, no harm intended. Have a good morning.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrusherBolo:
I'm thinking about buying the AWA. Can someone borrow me a quarter?

When you do, can i buy one of their t-shirts from you?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
quote:

Given that WWE already owns the AWA and has made millions off marketing DVDs and retro John Cena T-shirts with a bastardized version of their logo, I'd say you're too late, because it would've been a good investment.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No one was mocking. I was gently suggesting that the meanings of words vary across eras and regions, with the idea that definitions aren't absolutely, universally, "correct" or "incorrect" in any sense analogous to a math or science equation simply being right or wrong. That's all, no harm intended. Have a good morning.
Besides. It ain't just me. It's f*ucking Billboard...

http://www.billboard.com/photos/7744299/best-albums-2017-q1-staff-picks

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

And the Grammy Awards as well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Record_of_the_Year

Note that "Record of the Year" and "Song of the Year" are two distinctly different categories.

We're into "title" versus "belt" territory here.

And words DO have to rules. Otherwise, language would simply be word salad. If "Please don't shoot me, I have no weapon" somehow suddenly becomes "You are required to shoot me immediately or I will kill your dog," then you're looking at a recipe for tragedy.

"Literally" does NOT mean "figuratively." The moment it does is the moment that the very fabric of language and the known civilized world LITERALLY breaks down.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Namby pamby psuedo intellectual posturing disguised as academia.
Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the original subject, Billy Corgan purchasing the NWA means sweet f.a. Completely irrelevant.
CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Given that WWE already owns the AWA and has made millions off marketing DVDs and retro John Cena T-shirts with a bastardized version of their logo, I'd say you're too late, because it would've been a good investment.
Well phlegmball, there goes your t-shirt. Too bad, because I was going to use The Blaster as a symbol of the new AWA.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would had doen 180-gram vinyl version of the Wreslerock Rumble

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people assume like SWJ and CM mentioned album is the correct term only for a specific format. Now I sometimes use CD to refer to a specific album which is what I think some are thinking is a generalized statement based on formats. I mean album but I grew up in the era of CDs so often times when I talk to friends I say that CD then I'll go I meant album but being a 90s kid that's just what I grew up saying all the time.

In other NWA news (cause I have them on my Facebook) Leilani Kai has "purchased" a controlling stake in NWA Florida. The money marks aren't just fans anymore I guess.

[ 05-02-2017, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
I think people assume like SWJ and CM mentioned album is the correct term only for a specific format. Now I sometimes use CD to refer to a specific album which is what I think some are thinking is a generalized statement based on formats. I mean album but I grew up in the era of CDs so often times when I talk to friends I say that CD then I'll go I meant album but being a 90s kid that's just what I grew up saying all the time.

CD is a technical spec, just like vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and digital download are. "Album" is a collection of songs. That album can be released on vinyl, or tape, or via digital download.

"Album" isn't synonymous with vinyl. THAT's the mistake that people are making. That CD replaced albums. Albums (collections of songs) still existed when the industry switched technical specs from tape, then to CD, and now to digital download. But they're still albums (collections of songs).

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

quote:

I was trying to engage a question without personally insulting anyone or their points. I'm not sure why you'd take this personally. It was really an innocent disagreement as far as I could tell, and I didn't mean to open any wounds that you might have over the meaning of "record" or the stability of languages. Peace, for real.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

they're still albums (collections of songs).

And they're all still records, LP, EP or single. For now and the foreseeable future, at least.

[ 05-02-2017, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Nobody goes 'I'm going in the studio to cut a new acetate.'

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Or, actually, check this out. We DO go, 'I'm cutting a new CD.' (Or 'album', or 'record'.) We DON'T go, 'I'm cutting a new MP3', I mean in terms of originally recording the song, even though that's probably gonna be the prevalent format.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Nobody went 'You heard Kendrick's new MP3?' these past couple weeks.

--------------------

JJ Bklyn42
Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ Bklyn42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down in Grandma's basement, when all TV was black-and-white, there were a bunch of record albums that were literally albums, i.e., 5 or 6 double-sided 78 rpm records by the same artist(s), stored in paper sleeves bound together in a binder.

Obviously, when it became feasible to fit a dozen or so songs on two sides of one 33 1/3 rpm disc, the term "album" became in essence metaphorical, and we've been applying that term to the other media forms since.

Same way I've been wearing "eyeglasses" which would be more accurately called "eyeplastics" for more than a couple of decades now. [Smile]

--------------------
"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives" - Jack Roosevelt Robinson

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Actually, SINGLE sided 78 RPM records.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:

I was trying to engage a question without personally insulting anyone or their points. I'm not sure why you'd take this personally. It was really an innocent disagreement as far as I could tell, and I didn't mean to open any wounds that you might have over the meaning of "record" or the stability of languages. Peace, for real.
I'm not taking it personally. I just think you're on the wrong side of history here.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by JJ Bklyn42:
Down in Grandma's basement, when all TV was black-and-white, there were a bunch of record albums that were literally albums, i.e., 5 or 6 double-sided 78 rpm records by the same artist(s), stored in paper sleeves bound together in a binder.

No, those are VINYL discs, stored in paper sleeves bound together in a binder.

The information contained on those discs is what differentiates the designation. Maybe it's a 12-inch single, maybe it's a collection of songs (which is AN ALBUM).

Again, Jinder Mahal stole the belt, he didn't steal the title.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

Obviously, when it became feasible to fit a dozen or so songs on two sides of one 33 1/3 rpm disc, the term "album" became in essence metaphorical,

No it didn't. An album is a collection of songs. The word is, quite LITERALLY (in the LITERAL sense, not the Webster's redefined "figurative" sense), exactly what it means.

Your eye plastics reference would be more equivalent to film. We're shooting MOVIES, or motion pictures, on digital now. There's no film involved, but we still call them "films." But a collection of songs really is, in the LITERAL LITERAL sense, still an album.

[ 05-02-2017, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
quote:

No, those are VINYL discs, stored in paper sleeves bound together in a binder.

The information contained on those discs is what differentiates the designation. Maybe it's a 12-inch single, maybe it's a collection of songs (which is AN ALBUM).

Again, Jinder Mahal stole the belt, he didn't steal the title.

Not vinyl. Acetate. I think. That's what I was saying.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

And I suspect he's right about the history of the term.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

But my point is, the delivery system/technical specs (acetate, vinyl, iTunes, whatever) is irrelevant to the fact that "album" still means a collection of audio recordings.
NWA Champ 1948
Member # 125744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NWA Champ 1948     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody has a need to ALWAYS be right.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
But my point is, the delivery system/technical specs (acetate, vinyl, iTunes, whatever) is irrelevant to the fact that "album" still means a collection of audio recordings.

Which is why people are still going 'You hear Kendrick's new album?'

[ 05-02-2017, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by NWA Champ 1948:

Or passive aggressive as f*uck.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by NWA Champ 1948:

Seriously...who starts a discussion/argument/debate on the premise "Hey, I'm wrong?"

People got a problem with the fact that I'm right, they can go f*uck themselves and f*uck their mother.

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is NWA champ 1948 Tojo under a different name?

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Jinder stole the title. They call it a title. For now, many people refuse to call it a "title" because they remember the artifact being called a "belt." Personally, I still call it a belt because that's the word that I had learned for it.

There are already young fans who have no memory of the thing being called a "belt." If WWE persists in calling it a title, and all of the longtime fans who insist on still calling it a belt either give up the fight, fade away, or just get old and drop dead, then "title" will be the correct term for it and no one will care. This process probably won't take long.

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

[ 05-02-2017, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Robot Monster ]

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Jinder stole the title. They call it a title. For now, many people refuse to call it a "title" because they remember the artifact being called a "belt." Personally, I still call it a belt because that's the word that I had learned for it.

So if Jinder has "the title," that means Jinder is the champion?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

The meaning of a word doesn't work like 2+2; the answer is negotiable and up for change. Nothing "pseudo-academic" about this, it's just how languages develop over time.

Farm platypus cocktail gorge genuflect margarine derby. Desperate toothpicks undulate graciously Buick Skylark.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

But anyway, Jinder Mahal is the WWE World champion. He took the title from Randy Orton. Congratulations to Jinder on becoming the WWE World champion.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Jinder Mahal is LITERALLY the WWE World champion.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

quote:
quote:

"Title" isn't my choice either, in part for these kinds of problems.
My point here isn't to defend the WWE's choice of terms or say that it makes sense to me. I actually prefer "belt." But it doesn't always take a ton of force for a word's meaning to change. Again, if WWE persists long enough for fans to forget that it was ever called a belt, or even to just accept WWE's specific vocabulary, then it's a title.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
quote:

"Title" isn't my choice either, in part for these kinds of problems.
My point here isn't to defend the WWE's choice of terms or say that it makes sense to me. I actually prefer "belt." But it doesn't always take a ton of force for a word's meaning to change. Again, if WWE persists long enough for fans to forget that it was ever called a belt, or even to just accept WWE's specific vocabulary, then it's a title.

Jinder must've had a helluva workout regime to get himself in shape to take the WWE title from Randy Orton. I hope squirrel flugelhorn plunges tutu mathematical fluoride quickens.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations