WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Billy Corgan purchases National Wrestling Alliance
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Corgan just purchased the National Wrestling Alliance as reported by Mike Johnson with PWInsider.com

Besides the name, what are you buying?

Not sure who is the bigger mark, Corgan or the promoters that still pay NWA membership dues?

It's dead people. Let it die.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the brilliant job he did at TNA, I suspect your wish's gonna be granted.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the long time uncrowned NWA champion, I'd like to welcome our new overlord and hope he gets to see this post and send me the belt so I may begin to defend it all over this great country.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't really have an opinion of the actual purchase but i would love to know what he paid. I mean he basically bought nothing? A name? Was there an NWA trademark? I am dying to know how much Tharpe got.
Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a goofball friend who's Dad left him with a pile of Telecom dough.

He's bought game-worn jerseys, a ton of Ali memorabilia, and the car from a very prominent television show from his youth. I think it's goofy, but he likes it.

I lead with that to say that, in a world where people of affluence pay ridiculous amounts of money to own mementos that are valuable to them, I can't think of many things that would be cooler to a wrestling fan of a certain age to say than "I own the NWA."

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope his tax guy told him he needed a huge write off. Is this the worst wrestling purchase since Lawler sold Memphis in the mid 90's?

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does he get the footage too?

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

DaClyde
Member # 127626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaClyde   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if that means he owns the bits of the NWA tape library that has slowly been added to NWAOnDemand.com?

Whatever he got, I doubt he's out more than $500K total.

--------------------
-JasonP

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Source: PWInsider

Former TNA Wrestling President and Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has agreed to purchase the historic National Wrestling Alliance. Corgan has a deal that would see him purchase the NWA name, rights, trademarks as well as rights and possession of the legendary NWA title belt.

No word yet on when Corgan will begin running the company or what he has in store for the various NWA member promotions, or the NWA On Demand streaming service, but we will keep you updated.

Possession of the legendary NWA belt? Isn't the old belt in Flair's or HHH's collection?

Back when Anthem bought TNA, everyone was saying to rename it because of the stain of TNA. I thought that Anthem should have also bought the NWA rights and find some big free agent out there (like Ryback) to become the NWA champ, then do an invasion angle (even though it's been done to death) and do a rehash of the USWA vs WCCW angle where TNA loses and becomes the NWA. Then, the NWA would have an actual show and tv deal, so to speak.

[ 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know The Smashing Pumpkins had a couple of big selling albums but how rich is this dude that he could throw around most likely a not so trivial amount of money at stuff like this and TNA. Does he have backers?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight he's gonna party like it's "1979."

-

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaClyde:
I wonder if that means he owns the bits of the NWA tape library that has slowly been added to NWAOnDemand.com?

Wasn't Bruce just licensing that from Peter Birkholz?

--------------------
"Okay fun is fun but enough is enough, and so on. We do not need half the front page beening Tocus threads. The old ones have been kicked over to the Markley forum...otherwise the whole gimmick can go over there." --Crimson Mask, 3/18/11

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
I know The Smashing Pumpkins had a couple of big selling albums but how rich is this dude that he could throw around most likely a not so trivial amount of money at stuff like this and TNA. Does he have backers?

I think I read not too long ago he has $20 million.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those celebrity net worth sites, no idea how accurate they are, show Corgan as being worth $50 million. He could drop a couple hundred grand on a trademark.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

Billy's got a net worth of about $50M. He's made steady bank touring for 25 straight years.

--------------------

Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

If it's 500 k that is still less than the interest money he received when he sued TNA. Some places on the net say he has a net worth of 50 million while others say 20 to 30 million.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Source: PWInsider

Former TNA Wrestling President and Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has agreed to purchase the historic National Wrestling Alliance. Corgan has a deal that would see him purchase the NWA name, rights, trademarks as well as rights and possession of the legendary NWA title belt.

No word yet on when Corgan will begin running the company or what he has in store for the various NWA member promotions, or the NWA On Demand streaming service, but we will keep you updated.

Possession of the legendary NWA belt? Isn't the old belt in Flair's or HHH's collection?

Flair retained possession of the 70s/80s Domed Globe after the Big Gold was commissioned. He got into trouble some years back when it was revealed that he put it up as collateral for two different companies he owed money too, one of which was Highspots. It was later acquired by Triple H and now sits on display in a glass case at Titan Towers.

[ 05-01-2017, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I believe that's correct.
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Billy's got a net worth of about $50M. He's made steady bank touring for 25 straight years.
And he dresses like he's got a net worth of about $50.00. Which, in all fairness, may have something to do with why he can whiz money away on wrestling promotions.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL:
I hope his tax guy told him he needed a huge write off.

Tax write offs are one of the main reasons a lot of things get done. Rick Rubin (or even Tom Byron) minus the tax write off = no SMW (or XPW). Plenty of wealthy people are advised exactly how much they need to **** away in order to make their tax bill more palatable.

As Curt Injurker says, if it gives someone like him pleasure it's not so stupid, especially if his lawyer told him he has to lose a few hundred thou to offset some actual profitable investments.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

djkm77
Member # 26160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djkm77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 1970's half the NBA owners had teams for tax write off purposes only. It wasn't until the early to mid 80's that they got their tv deals and made any real money.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just in.

Fleetwood Mac purchases ROH.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Member # 5431

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
This just in.

Fleetwood Mac purchases ROH.

False news. Mac is in to barb wire and are in negotiations to buy Ian Rottens IWA

--------------------

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically, Corgan is or was working with Rick Rubin on a solo record or album or whatever those things are called today.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
Ironically, Corgan is or was working with Rick Rubin on a solo record or album or whatever those things are called today.

They're still records and they're still albums.

A record being the process of committing something for historical purposes (which can be a written record, an audio record, a visual record, etc).

And an album is a collection of things (a music album, a photo album, etc).

For some reason people think "record" or "album" are synonyms of vinyl. Not the case. The records, or albums, were released on vinyl, then 8-track, then cassette tape, then CD, then digitally. But they're still records and they're still albums.

--------------------

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

A record being the process of committing something for historical purposes (which can be a written record, an audio record, a visual record, etc).

For some reason people think "record" or "album" are synonyms of vinyl. Not the case. The records, or albums, were released on vinyl, then 8-track, then cassette tape, then CD, then digitally. But they're still records and they're still albums.

Thanks
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

That's been told before, but Birkholz denies it.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It is so.

--------------------

Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Seems like this is something that varies by region/generation, i.e. "pop"/"soda" or "sneakers"/"tennis shoes." Where I grew up, people said "album" in reference to cassettes and CDs but NO ONE said "record." There was a local "record store" but it didn't sell (vinyl) records, and no one ever mentioned "records" unless actually saying the name of the store.
Someone from Rwanda
Member # 22010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Someone from Rwanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it's time for Mike Rapada to dust off the boots.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by Robot Monster:
quote:
quote:

Seems like this is something that varies by region/generation, i.e. "pop"/"soda" or "sneakers"/"tennis shoes." Where I grew up, people said "album" in reference to cassettes and CDs but NO ONE said "record." There was a local "record store" but it didn't sell (vinyl) records, and no one ever mentioned "records" unless actually saying the name of the store.
Not really a regional thing. And it doesn't matter what they said/say. Simple fact is, a "record" is a record of something. An "album" is a collection of those things. Nothing's gonna change that. Not even God Almighty Hisowndamnself.

--------------------

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I remembering this incorrectly but didn't Tharpe go to WWE HQ and meet with HHH about a potential sale but his price was so high that even WWE wouldn't pay it? I thought it was about selling NWA by I can't for sure remember.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
Am I remembering this incorrectly but didn't Tharpe go to WWE HQ and meet with HHH about a potential sale but his price was so high that even WWE wouldn't pay it? I thought it was about selling NWA by I can't for sure remember.

If "too high" turns out to be some ungodly low number, we'll know the true value of "the NWA."

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

And I've said for years, the value of the NWA name and history is only worth the stories that can be created and marketed around that name and history.

Sad truth is though, every time a Jack Brisco or Dusty Rhodes or Roddy Piper dies, you lose an opportunity to trot out an "NWA legend" and use them to get a younger star over as part of "that tradition." And the people who were fans when the name meant something? Most of them have gone away too.

--------------------

Dan P-170
Member # 32

quote:
Originally posted by FantasyWrestlerDrew:
Am I remembering this incorrectly but didn't Tharpe go to WWE HQ and meet with HHH about a potential sale but his price was so high that even WWE wouldn't pay it? I thought it was about selling NWA by I can'rt for sure remember.

They had a meeting at the Performance Center but I think it had to do with the Houston library.

Back in 1998 Titan Sports, now WWE, and Pro Wrestling Organization, LLC, then parent company of the NWA, signed an agreement giving the former or any successors perpetual use of the NWA trademark. A similar agreement was made with Zero One in Japan. TNA also had one but agreed to waive that right when the two parties ended their relationship in 2007.

[ 05-01-2017, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about buying the AWA. Can someone borrow me a quarter?
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not really a regional thing. And it doesn't matter what they said/say. Simple fact is, a "record" is a record of something. An "album" is a collection of those things. Nothing's gonna change that. Not even God Almighty Hisowndamnself.
Not really looking to get on this, but language isn't a math equation. The meanings of words are constantly changing. In terms of what a word means, what people said/say is the only thing that matters.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

I REALLY want to know what Jim Cornette's thinking right now, if hearing about it didn't just make his brain disintegrate.
mikeyosmond
Member # 128654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeyosmond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll be interesting to see what he does w/ it.

quote:
I REALLY want to know what Jim Cornette's thinking right now, if hearing about it didn't just make his brain disintegrate.

So would I.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not really looking to get on this, but language isn't a math equation. The meanings of words are constantly changing. In terms of what a word means, what people said/say is the only thing that matters.
Which is why the dictionary changed the word "literally" to mean "figuratively." Which is still 100% incorrect.

If I start calling my butt a flashlight maybe it'll help me see in the dark.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations