WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Los Angeles territory questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Los Angeles territory questions
AndrewSCU
Member # 128723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewSCU   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing some research for a two-part article on SoCalUncensored about Japanese wrestlers/promotions coming to the Southern California area, and I've got some questions about various things after researching stuff about the Los Angeles territory.

-First, in regards to my article. I'm looking to cover Rikidozan coming here, all the way till today with NJPW coming to Long Beach, and everything in between. I read an old Steve Yohe post mention there was a working agreement with JWA and WWA. I know several Japanese wrestlers came over to work the Olympic. What exactly was the relationship between the promotions, and was the LA office sending their guys over to Japan (I know Blassie went there) in exchange for Japanese talents?

-After the Olympic-era, I'm covering the FMW co-promoted event in LA, the World Wrestling Peace Festival put on by Inoki in 1996, the Onita/XPW fiasco, Inoki's attempt to run a US-based promotion out of the Santa Monica dojo, various wrestlers coming through to the SoCal territory in the modern era of indy wrestling, Dragon Gate making their debut here and the DGUSA shows, and Stardom. I also know Ultimo Dragon had a match with Negro Casas at the Olympic in '94, but I can't find much info about that show. I did find video of the match though. Were there any other notable appearances or events that featured Japanese stars in the 90's?

-Getting away from the article stuff, after the LeBell's went under, who ran in LA/Southern California? I know the WWF and AWA ran in the SoCal area, and that there was an NWA event in Inglewood (JCP I think?) but was there anyone else during the 80's? I'm aware of California Pro Wrestling as well.

-What were some of the Outlaw promotions that ran in the Los Angeles territory?

-Who ran out the Valley Garden Arena in North Hollywood? I drive by that place everyday and always wonder about what shows were like there.

-Last question, what was the LA area like in the 90's? I've seen some interesting looking cards like the Cal-International shows, but can't find info on anything else.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I want to learn more about the area and have been finding a lot of interesting stuff.

--------------------
www.socaluncensored.com

IP: Logged
Wrestling Professor
Member # 3362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Professor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For your last question, AAA ran LA (and San Jose) a few times in 1993/1994 and drew ridiculously large crowds. You may want to look those up because that was a big part of wrestling in LA back then, even if it was just a few shows that were never followed up on.

I was at the San Jose show and it was packed with several thousand fans and the heat was far beyond anything I had ever seen live.

--------------------
The Armpit
http://Armpit-Wrestling.com
Backstage fights, road stories, Greatest Matches Ever, and all things sleazy.

CONAN
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CONAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey... Please post a link to your article when you are done. Looking forward to reading it.
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superstar Billy Graham and Ivan Koloff tried running an outlaw show in LA and it flopped miserably in '76 or '77.
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Austin's podcast, CA wrestler Ric Drasin mentioned trying to promote an outlaw group, at some point. If that episode is archived, it is worth a listen. Drasin was trained by Mae Young and designed the original Gold's Gym logo. he was part of the bodybuilding scene, as well as wrestling there in the 70s. He started West Coast Wrestling Promotions in 1975; but, it didn't last long.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

AndrewSCU
Member # 128723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewSCU   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wrestling Professor:
For your last question, AAA ran LA (and San Jose) a few times in 1993/1994 and drew ridiculously large crowds. You may want to look those up because that was a big part of wrestling in LA back then, even if it was just a few shows that were never followed up on.

I was at the San Jose show and it was packed with several thousand fans and the heat was far beyond anything I had ever seen live.

I was reading up on the AAA shows at the Sports Arena and later at the Olympic. Aside from the Worlds Collide PPV, I haven't been able to find much footage or information. I also read they did a show in San Diego.

quote:
Originally posted by CONAN:
Hey... Please post a link to your article when you are done. Looking forward to reading it.

If it's allowed, sure. I have a sorta incomplete history of wrestling in Reseda. Couldn't find any info on the territory days, so I made sure to call it "incomplete."

quote:
Originally posted by codystarbuck:
On Austin's podcast, CA wrestler Ric Drasin mentioned trying to promote an outlaw group, at some point. If that episode is archived, it is worth a listen. Drasin was trained by Mae Young and designed the original Gold's Gym logo. he was part of the bodybuilding scene, as well as wrestling there in the 70s. He started West Coast Wrestling Promotions in 1975; but, it didn't last long.

I knew he had the AWF where his son was the champion I believe, but not much else about his promoting career. I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw he originally had West Coast Wrestling Promotions and turned it into the AWS. I'll look into this podcast. Thanks for the heads up. A guy I grew up with as a kid actually went to his wrestling school in the San Fernando Valley, but he never became anything.

I really appreciate the info so far guys.

--------------------
www.socaluncensored.com

Wrestling Professor
Member # 3362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Professor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was reading up on the AAA shows at the Sports Arena and later at the Olympic. Aside from the Worlds Collide PPV, I haven't been able to find much footage or information. I also read they did a show in San Diego.

The Observer has all the info on the LA shows from that time period. Jake Roberts vs Konnan headlined the Triplemania II-C show in '94, which was a huge show. The Torch from that era had a write-up as well.

--------------------
The Armpit
http://Armpit-Wrestling.com
Backstage fights, road stories, Greatest Matches Ever, and all things sleazy.

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to answer your questions, but I can't working with someone who calls me "old". Man you hurt my feelings.

Your asking for a big chunk of LA wrestling history, stuff I've been researching for 25 years....and you want it in one post. And just because NJW is coming to Long Beach. Get me a ticket & I'll talk.---Steve Yohe

stevedyohe@aol.com

AndrewSCU
Member # 128723

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Yohe:
I would like to answer your questions, but I can't working with someone who calls me "old". Man you hurt my feelings.

I said your post was old, not you [Frown] Now my feelings are hurt.

quote:
Your asking for a big chunk of LA wrestling history, stuff I've been researching for 25 years....and you want it in one post. And just because NJW is coming to Long Beach. Get me a ticket & I'll talk.---Steve Yohe

stevedyohe@aol.com

If you can get me a NJPW ticket, I can get you one.

--------------------
www.socaluncensored.com

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your feeling are hurt....I'm the guy who is old.---Yohe
AndrewSCU
Member # 128723

quote:
Your feeling are hurt....I'm the guy who is old.---Yohe

What can I say? I'm a millennial/snowflake.

--------------------
www.socaluncensored.com

AndrewSCU
Member # 128723

quote:
Originally posted by CONAN:

Here's Part 1 of my article. Didn't want to make a new thread about it. Hope you dig it.

http://socaluncensored.com/2017/05/16/socal-puroresu-southern-californias-early-connections-japanese-wrestling-part-1/

--------------------
www.socaluncensored.com

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Andrew!!!!

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations