WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Syndication and independent stations (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Syndication and independent stations
TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Alice thread got me thinking about what independent stations played at night during prime time (or any time really) without the luxury of network programming.

I know some like CityTV in Toronto were "movie stations" that had great libraries that they pulled from, but what about those that didn't have a movie? Or were they all movie stations? Some Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy lineups 7p-8p, a 2 hour movie from 8p-10p, then news or MASH/All in the Family at 10p?

Anyone know of any deviations from that formula? Later in the 80s there was some Star Trek TNG strips, but I can't think of a similar show earlier.

IP: Logged
jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Maine there were not really any indy channels. But our cable systems got channels 38 and 56 out of Boston for years. Both seemed to have tons of reruns of older shows during the day, plus movies on at night.(channel 38 also had some Red Sox and Bruins games until they all eventually went to NESN) Channel 56 would have "Creature Double Feature" of monster movies every Saturday afternoon. I think some of the movies on those stations may have even been uncut for a while. By the time I moved to Boston, both channels had become part of UPN and The WB, so they were no longer indy.

[ 04-19-2017, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: jjmike ]

pitbullsfan
Member # 115351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbullsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They played reruns, sports, talk shows during the daytime and cheesy movie reruns. Channel 18 in Milwaukee and WGN Chicago come to mind. Sometime in the 80's tv shows were made specifically to be played on independents. Also by this time there was an ample supply (several decades worth) of discontinued tv shows that could he had on the cheap
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up in NY in the 70's there were 3 big independent stations.
WNEW which became Fox in the 80's, they aired WWWF in Prime time for a little while in the 60's and they would run Merv Griffin in Prime Time from the late 60's to the end of the 80's.
WOR and WPIX both ran lots of movies but aired tons of sports programming. WPIX was the home of the Yankees and WOR ran the Mets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders and Nets games.

Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember WNDS in New Hampshire liked to play Star Trek (the original series) during Prime Time, and this was in the early 90s (they must not have had the rights to Next Generation). They also used to show movies, in paticular they had a Saturday Night movie slot where they'd show relatively obscure horror films (mostly from the 80s) like The Prey, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, Return to Horror High, Graduation Day, etc.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People talk abotu CITY-TV in Toronto, but a lot of what Moses Znaimer (who, while not the only partner that got it started, was the true brains of the operation) did had already been done by Hamilton's CHCH-TV, which had been an indie station since 1961 (telling the CBC exactly where to stick it when they ledft). CHCH-TV was, for over a decade, the only indie station in Canada (all the other independent stations that started up at around the same time as CHCH was leaving the CBC became Canada's second network, CTV).

While CITY was looked at as a "movie station" to some degree, their association with (and eventual purchase by) the CHUM Group gave them a lot of cache with the young crowd with a lot of music-oriented programming. Of course, a lot of CITY's mystique also came about because of Friday night's "Baby Blue Movies", which started off as a publicity stunt and became something much more. CITY also worked hard with their news organization, which eventually became the most popular news show in Toronto for many years.

CHCH, however, went not with movies, but their own progamming, with a smattering of US sitcoms and dramas and local sports broadcasting. Some of its original programming would make today's viewers cringe -- Tiny Talent Time anyone? -- but some of it got grabbed for US syndication (The Hilarious House of Frightenstein and Red Green are of particular note). They also depended upon syndicated programs from both the US and Europe for additional series.

CHCH was an example of a "little station that could", since by 1982, it had become a de facto superstation akin to WTBS or WGN, being shown by cable providers in 3 different regions of the country. By 1984, they were coast-to-coast.

A big part of their appeal was sports broadcasting. At various times in their indie life, they broadcast local sports (the OHL's Hamilton Red WIngs, for example), as well as during the week Toronto Maple Leaf games (the CBC had the weekends locked up), and Buffalo Bills NFL football (everyone else broadcasting in SW Ontario seemed fixated on the Detroit Lions). And, of course, they were Frank Tunney's station of choice for his broadcasts during the 60s and 70s. And that popularity, in association with their cable footprint made continuing to use them for the WWF's programing after Vince bought out Jack Tunney and George Scott a very smart idea.

They're corporate now -- bought up by CanWest in 2000, and sold off to Channel Zero in 2009 followed by their bankruptcy in 2015 -- sort-of networking with YES-TV stations and fellow indies like CHEK-TV in Victoria to purchase programming for them all, as well as to help with purchasing national advertising for the stations.

CITY-TV played with the regular indie/syndicated station routine, but CHCH never seemed to play that game. It could probably never work today, but the didn't so much as break the mold as they ignored it and went their own way. Or at least they did -- I haven't watched them since the early 90s, so with the upheaval they've had, they may have gone to the tried-and-true (even with their association with Bloomberg TV and so on).

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old tv shows, movies, sports, etc... UHF stations lived on that kind of programming. That's how you also got a lot of foreign programs, as they would buy syndication programs. My grandparents used to get a Chicago UHF, with an afternoon Japanese block of Ultraman and Johnny Sokko (Ultra M,W,F and Johnny Tues, Th) and Speed Racer, plus the old Gantray/Lowell Spider-Man and the Marvel Super-Heroes cartoons. The Saint and The Avengers were often on those channels and markets with larger Asian populations got other Japanese shows, like Shadow Warriors, Kamen Rider V3, Kikaider and Space Giants.

You also had syndication packages that would be sold, providing a block of programming, like the Jack Webb Mark Seven shows (Emergency, Dragnet, Adam-12) and movie packages (especially ones like Dialing/Bowling for Dollars). You also have to remember that before cable and the 80s, most stations signed off before or at midnight, and didn't sign on before about 6:00 am. So, you only programmed for a specific portion of the day. Larger urban areas might have 24 hour stations; but not other parts of the country. Even with the advent of cable, you might not have programming after a certain point, or it might switch over to different programming.

[ 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: codystarbuck ]

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minneapolis had one until the early 1980's(KMSP)and they did off network shows movies sports(Twins and North Stars) After they became the independent station they were also the lead station for Vern Gagne and the AWA every weekend. :-)
Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jjmike:
In Maine there were not really any indy channels. But our cable systems got channels 38 and 56 out of Boston for years. Both seemed to have tons of reruns of older shows during the day, plus movies on at night.(channel 38 also had some Red Sox and Bruins games until they all eventually went to NESN) Channel 56 would have "Creature Double Feature" of monster movies every Saturday afternoon. I think some of the movies on those stations may have even been uncut for a while. By the time I moved to Boston, both channels had become part of UPN and The WB, so they were no longer indy.

WSBK TV 38 used to air a show called The Movie Loft every night in PrimeTime showing older movies.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine:
I seem to remember WNDS in New Hampshire liked to play Star Trek (the original series) during Prime Time, and this was in the early 90s (they must not have had the rights to Next Generation). They also used to show movies, in paticular they had a Saturday Night movie slot where they'd show relatively obscure horror films (mostly from the 80s) like The Prey, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, Return to Horror High, Graduation Day, etc.

I used to see the crazy weather guy Al Caprilian all the time at the supermarket.Also seen him at an ECW show at JFK Arena in Manchester.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Future Endeavor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future Endeavor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by codystarbuck:
You also have to remember that before cable and the 80s, most stations signed off before or at midnight, and didn't sign on before about 6:00 am.

I always enjoyed watching colour bars when I was really young. I was either up late or up early. Sometimes, it would be a nature scene or waves hitting rocks at a shore with music playing in the background. Growing up in Vancouver, BC area I knew certain channels were over when the Canadian or American anthems played.

--------------------
You can take the Hockey out of Canada, but you can't take the Canadian out of Hockey.

http://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofyourchoice

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was WGN considered independent? I enjoyed when it first came our way when I was a kid. They showed Dennis the Menace, Leave It To Beaver and several other good shows of that era. But what really stuck out was it was the home of DePaul Basketball when they were a national power.

[ 04-20-2017, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travlr:
People talk abotu CITY-TV in Toronto, but a lot of what Moses Znaimer (who, while not the only partner that got it started, was the true brains of the operation) did had already been done by Hamilton's CHCH-TV, which had been an indie station since 1961 (telling the CBC exactly where to stick it when they ledft). CHCH-TV was, for over a decade, the only indie station in Canada (all the other independent stations that started up at around the same time as CHCH was leaving the CBC became Canada's second network, CTV).

While CITY was looked at as a "movie station" to some degree, their association with (and eventual purchase by) the CHUM Group gave them a lot of cache with the young crowd with a lot of music-oriented programming. Of course, a lot of CITY's mystique also came about because of Friday night's "Baby Blue Movies", which started off as a publicity stunt and became something much more. CITY also worked hard with their news organization, which eventually became the most popular news show in Toronto for many years.

CHCH, however, went not with movies, but their own progamming, with a smattering of US sitcoms and dramas and local sports broadcasting. Some of its original programming would make today's viewers cringe -- Tiny Talent Time anyone? -- but some of it got grabbed for US syndication (The Hilarious House of Frightenstein and Red Green are of particular note). They also depended upon syndicated programs from both the US and Europe for additional series.

CHCH was an example of a "little station that could", since by 1982, it had become a de facto superstation akin to WTBS or WGN, being shown by cable providers in 3 different regions of the country. By 1984, they were coast-to-coast.

A big part of their appeal was sports broadcasting. At various times in their indie life, they broadcast local sports (the OHL's Hamilton Red WIngs, for example), as well as during the week Toronto Maple Leaf games (the CBC had the weekends locked up), and Buffalo Bills NFL football (everyone else broadcasting in SW Ontario seemed fixated on the Detroit Lions). And, of course, they were Frank Tunney's station of choice for his broadcasts during the 60s and 70s. And that popularity, in association with their cable footprint made continuing to use them for the WWF's programing after Vince bought out Jack Tunney and George Scott a very smart idea.

They're corporate now -- bought up by CanWest in 2000, and sold off to Channel Zero in 2009 followed by their bankruptcy in 2015 -- sort-of networking with YES-TV stations and fellow indies like CHEK-TV in Victoria to purchase programming for them all, as well as to help with purchasing national advertising for the stations.

CITY-TV played with the regular indie/syndicated station routine, but CHCH never seemed to play that game. It could probably never work today, but the didn't so much as break the mold as they ignored it and went their own way. Or at least they did -- I haven't watched them since the early 90s, so with the upheaval they've had, they may have gone to the tried-and-true (even with their association with Bloomberg TV and so on).

Wow. Tiny Talent Time. Been ages since I live thought of that. Watched that with my sister and my folks.

Great info as usual.

Citytv gave me my SCTV fix....didn't both run the 20 Minute Workout show as well? Was Bizzare on CHCH?

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHCH had some great news programming also- Norm Marshall was the man for many years on the evening News in the 70's and 80's. Bill Lawrence, the weather guy, was also the host of Tiny Talent Time forever.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. As I recall it, Bizzare was on Toronto's CFTO Channel 9. Watched it near-religiously.

Another thing about CHCH-TV was their movies. While the US systems edited out so much (ABC's hack jobs on the Bond flicks were legendary), Canadian stations were much more lenient about what they left in for broadcast. But they still cut a few scenes and masked certain words. But CHCH didn't edit a thing, not even for time. They never advertised that, but word-of-mouth made up for that.

I don't recall seeing 20-Minute Workout on CHCH, but I do remember it on CITY.

Another indie station which deserves some mention is Toronto's CFMT, channel 47. It was only an indie for 7 years before Rogers bought them up. But in one of the smarter moves that Rogers did, they didn't tinker very much with the programing at all. CFMT's biggest claims to fame during its indie period were The All-Night Show with Chuck the Security Guard, being the original home for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! in the Toronto area up to 1990 (both shows are now at CHCH, interestingly enough), the first station to broadcast in stereo in Canada, and had a show called Video Singles prior to MuchMusic hitting the air (and long before MTV was available up here). All that on top of being Canada's first multilingual television station, with dedicated programming in Italian, Hindi, Chinese and something like 20 other languages (English only made up about 30% of its programming in those early days, and French only about 10% or so).

A keystone indie station in Canada, even if it wasn't an indie for very long. But due to some smart programming decisions by Rogers, even today, it still has an indie feel to how it all hangs together. Rogers has used the basic set-up to create different OMNI channels for different markets, targeting non-English speakers, and has been quite successful doing so.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Berberovic:
CHCH had some great news programming also- Norm Marshall was the man for many years on the evening News in the 70's and 80's. Bill Lawrence, the weather guy, was also the host of Tiny Talent Time forever.

Yeah, Lawrence even showed up for the 60th Anniversary revival for an episode, I believe.

CHCH had a terrific news team for many years before the Channel Zero bankruptcy. The entire news department was pretty much let go all at once and that created some serious repercussions including accusations of union busting in order to sell the station to a notoriously anti-union media corporation. That ended up in court, and about 50% of the old staff came back, but it was never the same after.

Sandy Hoyt, who was also CHCH's weatherman for a while ended up taking over Ringside from Lord Athol Layton for a few weeks in 1974, and even Norm Marshall did some announcer duties for the show when regular Norm Kimble (whom I think worked for Tunney since the mid1960s right up to and including the early WWF period). But using news/sports staff for wrestling shows that isn't unusual for small indie stations, is it Mr. Whalen, Mr. Russell and Mr. Maclin, hmmmmm?

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend checking out Google's newspaper archive, they have scans of papers from every city if you want to look at old tv listings.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and we had two UHF independent stations, WPGH 53 had Penguins hockey that covered a few nights a week during the fall and winter. WPTT 22 ran both WWF shows with one running on Saturday afternoons and the other on Thursday nights at 9PM.

I checked out listings from Friday, April 18, 1982 and I would think a lineup like this was common for cities with two or more independent stations.

8PM
WPTT 22 - Perry Mason
WPGH 53 - Jim Rockford aka The Rockford Files

9PM
WPTT 22 - Kojak
WPGH 53 - San Fransisco Streets aka The Streets of San Francisco

10PM
WPTT 22 - Bonanza
WPGH 53 - Wild, Wild, West

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 9PM slot is extremely hard for me to pick one. Liked both Kojak and the Streets of San Francisco quite a lot.
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pillsbury:
quote:

WSBK TV 38 used to air a show called The Movie Loft every night in PrimeTime showing older movies.
Dana Hersey was terrific on The Movie Loft. He loved movie and when the occasion called for it, have a little fun with a movie he was showing.

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm loving this thread. I really miss the days when local TV wasn't so homogenized. You got some really different flavours with the various stations.

Yeah CHCH was a great station. It was owned by WIC, which owned 2&7 in Calgary (same look) and eventually CITV in Edmonton too before selling to Global when they tried to make their secondary network (called the CH network for a bit, then E!).

Canadian independents were a bit different because they could go buy US programming just like anyone else. For US readers, Canada's stations pretty much cherrypick the shows they want from the US so a station lineup could have an NBC show at 8p, a CBS at 830p and a CW block at 9p. There are no network output deals with the US networks.

WUTV 29 from Buffalo was my favourite independent station. Everyone in SW Ontario that is around 40 has fond memories of this station with the great cartoons before, during and after school and wrestling on the weekends.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can still recall the early 1980s Sunday afternoon lineup on KMSP-9 in the Twin Cities which was more of a movie oriented independent station and leaned even more in that direction after KITN-29 and KXLI-41 came on in the market.

10:00 AM - The Dukes of Hazzard
11:00 AM - (AWA) All Star Wrestling
12:00 PM - The Munsters
12:30 PM - The Addams Family
1:00 PM - The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
2:00 PM - Movie
4:00 PM - Movie

[ 04-20-2017, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

WSBK TV 38 also showed a lot of the 3 stooges and every New Years Eve would do a stooges marathon.

--------------------
"I'll be with 20 in-laws...hhhmmm..we'll see. But, 7 of the 20 are my nieces (in their early to mid 20's), so I'll enjoy seeing a few of them at the pool, and on the beach.At least the "scenery" should be enjoyable. [Smile]"
Sir Tojo

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents would not get a uhf antenna. I would go to my sisters apartment and watch snowy images of wsns 44 Chicago Bob Luce wrestling.
The mainstays of syndication when I was a kid was Star Trek, Dick Van Dyke. And Andy Griffith.
When I moved in 6th grade I would look on rabbit ears and try to get stray television signals. I would watch Central States Wrestling and AWA from other cities like Peoria and Rockford to see if the local interviews were any different.
We moved across town 2 years later and the new house had a roof antenna. If the weather was right we could get WFLD, WGN, and WSNS out of Chicago. Syndication heaven.
One particularly clear night we got signals from St Louis (KPLR channel eleven ) I got to watch 40 minutes of Wrestling at the Chase before the signal faded.
I always wanted to get a mega antenna and put an old school tower to pick up non market stations. My daughter starts college. in the fall so that goes to the retirement bucket list.
My favorite syndication block was WGN in like 3rd through 5th grade when they had Cubs baseball, Batman, Gillian's Island,Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, Star Trek, and the Chicago staples of Garfield Goose, The Ray Rayner Show, and Bozos Circus. Any Chicago people remember Ray Rayner's sports report and the half Cubs half white sox hat he would wear? He would flip it around depending on who he was reporting on.
I spent a lot of time reading TV guides as a kid. The weekly ones with the newspaper and the ones they sold at stores at grandmas house. She would give me the old ones.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up in SoCal during the 50's & 60's we had the 3 network stations, but we also had 4 independent stations: KTLA-5, KHJ-9, KTTV-11 and KCOP-13. They all played syndicated reruns, old movies, local news, talent shows, and wrestling. I remember we were the first on the block to own a TV set in the early 50's and the neighbors would come over to our house to watch TV. I think wrestling was on just about every night on several of the channels although I was too young to know what was going on.

All those independent stations are still on but now KTTV-11 in the Fox channel. They still have syndicated reruns, sports and news.

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 90s KTLA became part of the WB Network and KCOP was UPN. When they merged to create the CW, KTLA maintained that affiliation and KCOP became a MyNetwork station.

KHJ Ch. 9 became KCAL and I think is currently owned by the local CBS affiliate Ch. 2, but continues to operate as an independent. My earliest memories of watching wrestling in the 80s was WWF Championship Wrestling on KHJ Saturday mornings at 11 AM. When they repackaged as Superstars of Wrestling all of the syndicated shows moved to KTTV 11. KHJ/KCAL was most synonymous with broadcasting the Lakers away games until Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) Sportsnet was launched a few years ago and became their exclusive home.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
Growing up in NY in the 70's there were 3 big independent stations.
WNEW which became Fox in the 80's, they aired WWWF in Prime time for a little while in the 60's and they would run Merv Griffin in Prime Time from the late 60's to the end of the 80's.
WOR and WPIX both ran lots of movies but aired tons of sports programming. WPIX was the home of the Yankees and WOR ran the Mets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders and Nets games.

Ah memories....I think for a time WNEW had a game called Crosswits precede the Merv Griffin Show, which if memory serves ran from 8:30-10. But one thing that has stuck in my mind was right before the news started at 10, WNEW would run a PSA asking "It's 10 o clock, do you know where you children are?". Don't know why, maybe it was the voice but it use to creep me out. Even though there were different ways to take this message, because I lived in a bad neighborhood, I took it as something more sinister like a child molester was on the loose in my neighborhood.

WPIX had the best late night block...Odd Couple at 11, Honeymooners at 11:30, then Star Trek at midnight (wasnt a fan so skipped that) and 2 episodes of The Twilight Zone at 1am. Obviously too late during the school year but often was allowed to stay up during summers

Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody remember summer jobber reruns in syndication back in the day? Flipper, Daniel Boone, Tarzan and others were shown in the summer only.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing will ever top the WPIX 11-midnight time slot as mentioned. The Odd Couple followed by the Honeymooners. Saw all the episodes 50 times, but still watched. Any one know the actual years they aired during that time slot?

Until recently, the Odd Couple was on really late. The Honeymooners get an hour block late Sunday night (most of the time).

New Years Day is the Honeymooners marathon and sporadically, the Odd Couple Marathon is on Thanksgiving.

Two of the best shows ever.

It must've been like that for 20 years.

paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
I can still recall the early 1980s Sunday afternoon lineup on KMSP-9 in the Twin Cities which was more of a movie oriented independent station and leaned even more in that direction after KITN-29 and KXLI-41 came on in the market.

Of course once spring came around(And the Twins were on the road)Baseball took over the Sunday afternoon time slot. [Big Grin]
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..the WPIX late night of Odd Couple, Honeymooners, Star Trek and Twilight Zone was the best.
Dana Hersey on WSBK was good and I was a bigger fan of his performance on "Ask the Manager", a show where he and the TV 38 Manager Dan Berkery would read viewer mail. What a show that was.
Another great cult show from the early 80's was "The Uncle Floyd Show" which had short but popular runs on WSBK and on WPIX.
SCTV on WOR prior to the WWF and Harness Racing on Saturday Nights was don't miss TV.

Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best independent TV stations that I ever had an opportunity to watch was WTTV, Channel 4 out of central Indiana. Many independent stations back then aired reruns of old network shows, WTTV had those, but also seemed to make it a point to televise sports events. As far back as the early 1960's, the station aired pro wrestling with Sam Menacker at ringside, Indiana University basketball and Notre Dame football replays (the Saturday game condensed with a voice-over play-by-play). The first time that I ever saw Lew Alcindor was in January, 1967 when WTTV picked up the TV coverage of a UCLA basketball game from Chicago Stadium. One night I remember the station showed a movie with Dick the Bruiser as the studio host.

The station had quite a signal pattern and reached a wide area that included much of Indiana and parts of Ohio, Kentucky and probably Illinois. That was thanks to an antenna in Trafalgar, Indiana that was 1,132 feet tall.

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an independent station, Channel 55 (can't remember the call letters) in Crossville, Tennessee (never saw the station, but was listed in my region's TV Guide) that even up into the 80s showed some really obscure reruns, such as International Detective, starring Arthur Fleming, later known as Art Fleming (the original host of Jeopardy!). I would love to see that, or The Californians, another series in which Fleming was featured, to see if the great game show host could actually act.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://vimeo.com/184917104

Member # 5431

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Gennarelli:
Yeah..the WPIX late night of Odd Couple, Honeymooners, Star Trek and Twilight Zone was the best.
Dana Hersey on WSBK was good and I was a bigger fan of his performance on "Ask the Manager", a show where he and the TV 38 Manager Dan Berkery would read viewer mail. What a show that was.
Another great cult show from the early 80's was "The Uncle Floyd Show" which had short but popular runs on WSBK and on WPIX.
SCTV on WOR prior to the WWF and Harness Racing on Saturday Nights was don't miss TV.

The Apter mags had stories that Larry Z was going to be a big name actor after appearing on the Uncle Floyd Show.

--------------------

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOR actually had the more eclectic comedy choices. Ran real older stuff like Topper, Life of Riley, Burns and Allen and my favorite The Phil Silvers Show which they just called Bilko. But they also ran stuff like Benny Hill and Paul Hogan.

And of course, the iconic Joe Franklin Show

J Hillenburg
Member # 395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J Hillenburg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cincinnati Kid:
One of the best independent TV stations that I ever had an opportunity to watch was WTTV, Channel 4 out of central Indiana. Many independent stations back then aired reruns of old network shows, WTTV had those, but also seemed to make it a point to televise sports events. As far back as the early 1960's, the station aired pro wrestling with Sam Menacker at ringside, Indiana University basketball and Notre Dame football replays (the Saturday game condensed with a voice-over play-by-play). The first time that I ever saw Lew Alcindor was in January, 1967 when WTTV picked up the TV coverage of a UCLA basketball game from Chicago Stadium. One night I remember the station showed a movie with Dick the Bruiser as the studio host.

The station had quite a signal pattern and reached a wide area that included much of Indiana and parts of Ohio, Kentucky and probably Illinois. That was thanks to an antenna in Trafalgar, Indiana that was 1,132 feet tall.

Agreed. They were certainly a regional power for a long, long time. Lots of in-house programming, an impressive sports lineup, their own late news show, etc. And Sammy Terry, of course.
Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL:
Anybody remember summer jobber reruns in syndication back in the day? Flipper, Daniel Boone, Tarzan and others were shown in the summer only.

Gidget too (appropriately enough).
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

2 other summer rerun shows - both ABC shows than ran for about 2 years each- "Nanny & the Professor" and "The Ghost & Mrs Muir".
merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
quote:
quote:

WSBK TV 38 also showed a lot of the 3 stooges and every New Years Eve would do a stooges marathon.
They still do.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:

Earlier than that, channel 11 (then WTCN, now KARE) was the independent station. 9 was ABC, and 5 was NBC.

Of course KMSP 9 is now the Fox affiliate and has been for a while now.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

NNDman
Member # 142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NNDman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I hit double figures in the early 70s we got cable TV when the company put a huge antenna on a tower on the highest point in town. We were able to get WTTG-5 and WDCA-20 in Washington, DC. WTTG was part of the Metromedia conglomerate then and in the evenings would have a block of I Dream of Jeannie, McHale's Navy, Dick Van Dyke Show, That Girl and Father Knows Best followed by the Merv Griffin Show. I Love Lucy was popular in the afternoons. Channel 20 had evenings of Gilligan's Island, the Bill Cosby Show (Chet Kincade), and Hogan's Heroes. 20 was also great for its Creature Feature (Count Gore De Vol)on late Saturday nights and its run of Tarzan and Abbott and Costello flicks. A Saturday night during the summer would feature a run of Lone Ranger, Sjuperman, Cisco Kid and Highway Patrol.
I got a big dish in the 80s and fondly recall those shows on WSBK, WPIX, WOR and KTLA. They were all on the same tranponder. And don't forget World Class Championship Wrestling on KTVT around 10 p.m. on Saturday nights.
Aw, what memories!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations