WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Did Giant Baba ever get squashed in his later career?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Giant Baba ever get squashed in his later career?
Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inoki did big jobs for Vader and a few others to give them a big rub during the later portion of his career. Did Baba ever do the same after he stopped making himself the top All-Japan guy around 1985ish?
IP: Logged
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...absolutely not. Baba worked comedy matches low on cards because he still like to wrestle. Unless someone dropped out of a tag tournament, he wasn't wrestling to be part of the major storyline. Even a tag loss to a Japanese wrestler would be a major event.

When Inoki put Vader over, he was still the top guy. The only real job he did late in his career was to Tenryu on a dome show. Inoki never stopped being a major draw.

Baba put over Americans like Brody, Hanson & Destroyer....but never a Japanese wrestler.

Rikidozan, Baba & Inoki was not normal performers. Even in old age they were treated with respect. American stars were treated in the same way.---Yohe

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Misawa pinned him in a tag match which was hugely significant and then later he did one singles job vs. Misawa.
Jamie from Charm City
Member # 126445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie from Charm City   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the opinion of those who know Japanese wrestling history, did Inoki's decision to put over Vader pay off for him and NJPW?

Follow up question, was Baba the kind of guy to copy a good, money-making idea of Inoki's and vice versa?

I ask this as a novice to Japanese Wrestling history.

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inoki jobbing to Vader in mere minutes made Vader in Japan.It absolutely worked out for NJPW and for Vader.Vader started on top and stayed there by and large.

As far as copying ideas Inoki and Baba were polar opposites when it came to how to present their products.Baba was far more traditional in his booking.That said,I ain't a historian,just my opinion.

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the Vader/Inoki match cause a riot or was that overblown? I'm pretty sure the match is on YouTube or NJ world I just never watched it since I knew kinda what it would be.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny but Inoki was knocked for not doing jobs towards the end of his career. But the problem people had is that he wasn't putting over native wrestlers.

Baba who may have done fewer jobs late in his career also moved himself out of the top spot for the most part. He stayed around as more of a novelty attraction. He also worked a full time schedule much later into his career than Inoki did.

The decision to put over Vader as strong as they did paid off in a big way over the long run.

However short term, the way they put over Vader cost them the use of one of their better large arenas. After the riot that took place, the sumo association that runs the Sumo Hall banned them from using the Arena for over a year.

--------------------
email me at: inferno4l@hotmail.com
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
http://mlwradio.com/

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inoki did do a clean job to Tenryu on a dome show. And he did at least one job to Choshu. Maybe two. He refused to lose to Fujinami because he saw him as the #2 guy. I don't think Baba even lost to Misawa in a singles match. I don't remember that.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations