WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Jose Fernandez statue... Is it right or wrong?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jose Fernandez statue... Is it right or wrong?
SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Miami Marlins are planning to have a large statue of Jose Fernandez displayed at Marlins Park and name a street outside the park in Jose's honor. It's sad he died so young but is it right or wrong to do this? A lot of people are for it and a lot against it... He was found to have cocaine and alcohol in his system after the boat crash that killed him and his friends. I don't think they could prove who was driving the boat but it was Jose's boat. In my opinion, no way does he deserve a statue and street named after him. In addition to that he only played 2 full seasons and part of 2 others with The Marlins due to injury. He put up impressive numbers and was a popular player but even if there was no controversy it's not like he was a long time career hero for the team... Here's a couple of links about the controversy...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-sp-hyde-marlins-fernandez-statue-20170418-story.html

http://nypost.com/2017/04/16/jose-fernandez-statue-puts-a-scandalous-legacy-on-trial/

IP: Logged
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't do it personally, but whatever they want to do is their business.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He doesn't understand Miami. Everything is named after a dead person. 90% because they were Cubans, 9% because they were cops and 1% because of actual accomplishment. I doubt any of them got background checked. I'm sure somebody's getting paid.

So long from the Sunshine State!

[ 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're going to do a compromise and have the statue have "blow" on his top lip to tell a story and honor him all at the same time.
But seriously, to answer Shooter's comments, yes he only played for the team for 2 seasons, but other than a man named Clayton Kershaw, he was most likely the most desired pitcher in all of MLB and the Marlins have never had a pitcher of that capability.
They did have a phenom in the young Miguel Cabrera and briefly had Mike Piazza...but Jose Fernandez will be remembered as a once in a generation kind of pitcher.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations